PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineer track configuration

twindouble
10-31-2005, 12:17 AM
It is an oval shaped more like an egg. About 85 feet past the 3/16 marker pole the turn straightens into the front stretch from that point it is 905.31 feet to the finish. The surface is composed of a custom blend of sand that is replaced annually. (Plan is to resurface next week weather permitting) It drains towards a limestone gutter situated between the main track and the turf track. There is a 7% grade in the turns and 3% on the straight-aways. It is harrowed to maintain a 3 to 3/12 inch cushion. When it rains it is floated and sealed.

Egg shape, in other words the turn entering the stretch is a sweeping turn, the other is tighter like a bullring, you'll note the rush to get there first is an advantage, a good jock will get position ESP from the outside posts.

Good luck,

T.D.

midnight
10-31-2005, 01:00 AM
The two straightaways are not parallel. They're furthest apart (widest) on the ends of the far turn and closest on the ends of the club turn.

mountainman
10-31-2005, 09:36 AM
In case anyone is curious about the track's intrinsic tendencies, I do keep a database and will share info on request. I wrote an article in Sept. 04 edition of Horseplayer magazine noting that, barring day to day bias, speed has a huge advantage in sprints. In fact, horses less than 1 length off the lead at the first call account for more than half of all one turn winners, while stalkers (broadly defined as between 1 and 5 lengths back at the first quarter) outperform closers by a 31% to 18% margin. At two turns, the mountain main plays fair, as each style (with the half call now becoming the determinant) totals roughly one third of all winners.

I also keep a daily log on path and running style bias, and will likewise share these observations with anyone interested.

twindouble
10-31-2005, 09:55 AM
The two straightaways are not parallel. They're furthest apart (widest) on the ends of the far turn and closest on the ends of the club turn.

midnight, take a pencel and draw what you said, you just might come up with an egg. I was looking to get the radius of the turns but they didn't give it to me. That and no answer to the composition of the material on the track. Custom blend of sand, must be they have a patent on it. LOL.

I still have a hangover from the BC races, plus I had a real busy week.

Good luck,

T.D.

jeebus1083
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
In case anyone is curious about the track's intrinsic tendencies, I do keep a database and will share info on request. I wrote an article in Sept. 04 edition of Horseplayer magazine noting that, barring day to day bias, speed has a huge advantage in sprints. In fact, horses less than 1 length off the lead at the first call account for more than half of all one turn winners, while stalkers (broadly defined as between 1 and 5 lengths back at the first quarter) outperform closers by a 31% to 18% margin. At two turns, the mountain main plays fair, as each style (with the half call now becoming the determinant) totals roughly one third of all winners.

I also keep a daily log on path and running style bias, and will likewise share these observations with anyone interested.

I know this thread is almost a year old Mark, but I am definitely interested in your observations. I play Mountaineer religiously and added info would be of great help. I tend to give emphasis to hot trainers and bias. Email me at NYRacingFan@gmail.com if you want.

Buddha
10-01-2006, 10:06 PM
I am curious where TD got his fairly accurate information about how the track is kept.

twindouble
10-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I am curious where TD got his fairly accurate information about how the track is kept.

Ask and you shall recieve, just e-mailed them and they responded shortly after.

I think it's very important to know the tracks you play, Mountaineer is my track of choice right now, not that I don't play other tracks.

T.D.

JustRalph
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I sent an email to Sam Houston once, asking questions on the track layout. They emailed me a blueprint of the entire track. including the underground electric lines, water lines and all the engineering stuff that was underground. I was actually interested in the real length of the stretch and stuff. It really didn't help me that much. It was interesting to have the info for my software app though. Interesting that sometimes all you have to do is ask.

I have it on disk somewhere....... ?

twindouble
10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I sent an email to Sam Houston once, asking questions on the track layout. They emailed me a blueprint of the entire track. including the underground electric lines, water lines and all the engineering stuff that was underground. I was actually interested in the real length of the stretch and stuff. It really didn't help me that much. It was interesting to have the info for my software app though. Interesting that sometimes all you have to do is ask.

I have it on disk somewhere....... ?

You know Ralph you would be suprised how many players don't know squat about the tracks they play, they don't know the size, the legnth of the stretch, where they start at different distances, where the gate is realitive to the first turn and so on. What got my attention was the odd configuration of Mountaineers track, just had to find out what it was. Not every track is the same as the next, even how it drains or how it's maintained. 101 in handicapping.

T.D.

ryesteve
10-01-2006, 11:24 PM
I sent an email to Sam Houston once, asking questions on the track layout. They emailed me a blueprint of the entire track. including the underground electric lines, water lines and all the engineering stuff
Wow... how did they know you weren't Al Qaeda?? :D

Buddha
10-02-2006, 12:09 AM

I think it's very important to know the tracks you play, Mountaineer is my track of choice right now, not that I don't play other tracks.

T.D.

The one time I emailed wanted to know a couple things about it, I had never got a reply. Obviously that was a while ago, but I was curious about some things.

I acgree that it is important to know things about your track of choice. Obviously some things are more important than others and you dont HAVE to know all teh small things to a detail, as long as you know the basics. I have been doing really well at MNR for the last 6 weeks or so, and hope to continue on. Ever since I got back from Saratoga, it has been going really well, and I have found myself betting less and less of some of the other tracks, at least while I am doing well at MNR.

twindouble
10-02-2006, 08:32 AM
The one time I emailed wanted to know a couple things about it, I had never got a reply. Obviously that was a while ago, but I was curious about some things.

I acgree that it is important to know things about your track of choice. Obviously some things are more important than others and you dont HAVE to know all teh small things to a detail, as long as you know the basics. I have been doing really well at MNR for the last 6 weeks or so, and hope to continue on. Ever since I got back from Saratoga, it has been going really well, and I have found myself betting less and less of some of the other tracks, at least while I am doing well at MNR.

Same here on betting other tracks, ESP over the last year. What draws me to others is the carryovers along with the turf racing in NY. Once in awhile I have to look at Finger Lakes, that's more my style but Mountaineer on the average gives me those larger fields, makes a big difference in payoffs. Saratoga is an event for me, would rather be there when playing it, I've had more bad years there than good, just a couple exceptional ones. I think the real good years were the result of having a better handle on the what was stabled there for those years.

I agree on the basics when it comes to the tracks, I wouldn't order a core sample of the track material but how it drains and maintained interests me some.

T.D.

jeebus1083
10-02-2006, 10:18 AM

T.D.

Could you send that to me too? NYRacingFan@gmail.com

rrpic6
10-02-2006, 01:33 PM

T.D.
Wow, guess things have changed in their Customer Service Offices. They were of no help to me when I tried to retrieve a printout of my horserace betting thru their tracking card. They sent me a recap of my slots play...about $2000 bet $2002 won...twice...but would not let me know about the horse bets. The IRS demands good records, but the Mountain was too busy with "leaving the slots on for me".:bang:

twindouble
10-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Wow, guess things have changed in their Customer Service Offices. They were of no help to me when I tried to retrieve a printout of my horserace betting thru their tracking card. They sent me a recap of my slots play...about $2000 bet $2002 won...twice...but would not let me know about the horse bets. The IRS demands good records, but the Mountain was too busy with "leaving the slots on for me".:bang:

Can't you tell I'm just a smooth talker. :D If you have to worry about the IRS that means you must be making money. Well, maybe not, the suckers go us coming and going.

T.D.

Skanoochies
10-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Buddha.... Doesn`t the mountain make some change to the track around this time of the year? (ie. winterizing?) :confused:

Thanks.