PDA

View Full Version : Private Vow's equipment problem

DJofSD
10-30-2005, 07:23 PM
As most probably saw on TV yesterday, Private Vow bolted to the outside while racing DBS. If you looked carefully either while the race was running or during a replay, you'll see when racing into the turn a piece of equipment flapping around. The chart calls it a broken rein. It looked to me more than just a broken rein. From the NBC broadcast, it appeared to me to be a part of a blinker. Perhaps a broken bridle cheek piece with a blinker. With the brief chance to see it and the angle, it might have been part of the overgirth. For me it was difficult to tell.

Not that it makes one iota's difference (my $2 bet is history) but "I's gots to know" -- any one on track see it or know what had happened?

Thank God John Valasquez did not get hurt or worse. I can only imagine the fear factor being on a super fit T'bred running at speed with broken equipment. I've been up on a run-away horse before with tack intacted but having a broken piece -- no amount of money in the world would get me to volunteer for that ride.

DJofSD

P.S. the groom has some serious explaining to do not finding that faulty equipment.

Figman
10-30-2005, 07:41 PM
In a master piece of horsemanship, Velazquez reacted immediately. What happened was the right rein broke by pulling out of a rubber coupling. He appeared to be able to somehow wrap the intact rein on the left around the horse's neck? or through another piece of equipment and try to ride with the same left rein in both hands. It was a brilliant try and when he finally realized that he had no chance at a share of the purse, he eased off.

DerbyTrail
10-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Just be thankful that Vow was coming from the furthest station outside. Had he been inside anywhere, he would have taken anyone to his right out with him when the leather tore...

Buddha
10-30-2005, 10:23 PM
when watching the nbc coverage, they showed a slow-mo up close replay of the race, and it was indeed a broken rein. Trevor Denman gave a commentary of it, and you could see it just snap and Johnny V reach for hte horses mane/neck. What was flapping was probably just part of the rein. It was indeed a fortunate incident that nothing happened to horse or human, and everyone was fine. Good thing he was outside with no one outside him.