PDA

View Full Version : A ODDS SILVER

shoelessjoe
10-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I desperately need a copy of this and I would really appreciate your help.I have quite a few Sartin programs I would be willing to swap for it or money if you prefer. shoelessjoe@starpower.net

Tom
10-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Wasn't Silver free from BRIS?

Don't they offer it anymore?

I am sure I have it somewhere, but probably on an old computer.
If you don't foind it at BRIS, let me know later and I'll check for it afer the Cup.

Tom

shoelessjoe
10-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Tom,No they dont have it anymore if you can find it thanks Shoeless

Vegas711
10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
I may have A odds Gold, I believe it only runs in dos mode. Windows does not seem to take these older programs. Also they are pre Y2k so will it work?

I have not used any of them as you can see for a number of years.They did do a decent job of selecting pacelines.

Tom
10-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I found it....it wouldn't run on XP Home....but send me your email and It's yours.

clue
10-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Shoeless,

You can download AODDS Silver here:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=aodds

It runs fine on XP Pro.

Vegas,

I have been trying to get a copy of "AODDS Gold" just for the past performance printer/viewer it has. After picking up Jim Bradshaw's book I noticed that the example race PPs in the book were just what I wanted, nice and clean. I emailed the programmer, Randy Kovatch, to see if I could get a copy but he said no can do. Any chance I can get a copy of that from you (or anyone)? I've got stuff to trade.

-clue

shoelessjoe
10-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Clue thanks for sending me to that site I went to brisnet instead of TSN.Also Tom thanks for offering to send it as well. Shoeless

shoelessjoe
10-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Clue,I have A-Odds Gold the only problem it wont install on my computer.They put some kind of code in there that it will only install on the original computer you put it on.Shoeless

DJofSD
10-30-2005, 09:43 AM
There's two problems with AOdds Gold both stem from the anti-copy protection PIRCO/O' Henry House used which is Everlock.

It won't work with Windows XP (or anything based upon the NT kernal) because of the hardware abstraction layer (HAL). This is a fancy way of saying Windows will not let you get to the low level hardware functions for the floppy disk the same way that you could with DOS where things were wide open.

The second problem is the security fingure print the Everlock uses when installed onto the hard disk drive gets overwritten if you've upgraded your computer from DOS to anything. This was discoverd the hard way when Windows 95 came out. The main problem is that Micro Soft lays claim to all parts of the drive and makes no attempt to preserve anything that might be in place prior to the OS installation. With W95, the trick was to uninstall the security product, install W95 then reinstall your PIRCO software. If you didn't do this, 1 of the allowed installations to the hard drive has been lost.

DJofSD

delayjf
10-30-2005, 11:11 AM
I thought brisnet / tsn were not going to sell the Aodds down loads anymore. But when I was on their site I noticed that brisnet still offers the download.

Secretariat
10-30-2005, 12:02 PM
I have AOdds Gold 98 and it installed fine to my XP machine. I don't use it as much as POL, but the install worked. Try making sure that a file autoexec.nt is in the windows system folder. (sometimes you have to also copy it to the windows system32 folder). I also had to copy each disk over to the C drive and set up folders as Disk1, Disk2, Disk3, Disk4, etc. Then I had to install from the C drive, and of course use the Registration name and number Randy Kovach provided. It is a 16 bit program but runs quite fast. The modeling capabilties are limiting which is frustrating a bit, and it models the free Bris results files which are often erroneous compared to the pay ones, but it is a nice piece of programming, and the PCR rating in the programs is one of the best contender ratings ever developed. The program has never addressed the foreign horse issue, first time starters, or class, but it is probably Bradshaw's finest. I asked Randy about this a long time ago comparing The Match Up program to the Aodds Gold and he said the Aodds Gold program trumps the Match Up program. There are so many readouts though that one can develop what Doc used to call abdulia or indecision. The modeler helps a bit but the Virtual Paceline seems to always have the winner somewhere, it's just knowing which rating to use. There's no true black box feature but there is an Auto Screen Analyzer which helps somewhat. Also Bris does not store in archive the "free" results files so past results in building a database have to be input manually. A pain.

DJofSD
10-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Sec,

It sounds like your version is a better and more recent vintage than mine. If Randy and Jimmy dropped the Everlock protection then, as you've stated, the program will execute under any Windows flavor.

And just to be clear for all others reading this, yes, these old vintage DOS based, 16 bit programs will work under Windows -- the only thing I know will not work is the copy protection software.

One of the reasons I stopped using AOdds Gold (V 5.0) was the some of the reaons you stated -- in addition to some others.

It's just too damn bad that Doc and Jimmy couldn't continue their partnership in the same manner as when PIRCO first existed. If Doc could have just been the idea man and run the operations while Jimmy and Randy did the software development, testing and marketing then things could have lasted longer than they did.

DJofSD

sufan
10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Here are the picks for BC day by AODDS GOLD using auto analyzer and
the best win percent by category.
3rd-44 %--1 6 2 7- -winner on top
4th-44 %--9 10 12 11- -ex tri box winner
5th-33 %--13 8 10 1-- ex box winner
6th-42 %--7 6 1 11
7th-33 %--2 11 1 6--winner and ex top picks
8th-44 %--2 3 1 7
9th-33 %--4 9 8 12
10th-44 %--13 11 5 6--winner on top
If you used the 5th choice on the last race you would
have had the ex and the tri, which was the 9.
Not a bad day.

clue
10-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi Secretariat,

This is a longshot but is the past performance viewer/printer that's part of AODDS Gold by any chance a stand alone application that you could email me?

I've tried the so called Custom PP Generator and it just does not allow one to clean up and streamline the look of it's output enough. And, like I say, I really like the look of the AODDS past performances.

Anyone else annoyed by the piling on of ratings and data in the Bris past performances?

I'm open to any suggestions here. Anyone especially pleased with his method of producing minimalist clean, clear pps?

Thanks,
clue

DJofSD
10-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Here are the picks for BC day by AODDS GOLD using auto analyzer and
the best win percent by category.
3rd-44 %--1 6 2 7- -winner on top
4th-44 %--9 10 12 11- -ex tri box winner
5th-33 %--13 8 10 1-- ex box winner
6th-42 %--7 6 1 11
7th-33 %--2 11 1 6--winner and ex top picks
8th-44 %--2 3 1 7
9th-33 %--4 9 8 12
10th-44 %--13 11 5 6--winner on top
If you used the 5th choice on the last race you would
have had the ex and the tri, which was the 9.
Not a bad day.

Seeing this post and noticing that for the BC Sprint, AO Gold had LITF on top but did not have the eventual winner, I resurected my AO program and used a contender selection process.

Bottomline: rehandicapping the race, I ended up with the winner on the top. Now, if it would only have made it easy to ignore Battle Won.

DJofSD

Tom
10-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Clue,

You might like the EB PPs - very sparse.

Anyone using or have Jim the Hat's MAtch UP program - came out after A Odds.

Vegas711
10-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Clue,I have A-Odds Gold the only problem it wont install on my computer.They put some kind of code in there that it will only install on the original computer you put it on.Shoeless

Ditto, Sorry

Vegas711
10-30-2005, 08:44 PM
I thought brisnet / tsn were not going to sell the Aodds down loads anymore. But when I was on their site I noticed that brisnet still offers the download.

They do this becouse there are still a fair amount of people who need this data structure for there older programs.

shoelessjoe
10-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Tom,I have the match up but I think the same problem still exists like with a odds gold Shoeless

clue
10-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Tom and Vegas,

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look at the EB PPs (Trackmaster) but found them too "busy" though I didn't find a sample of their condensed version. In any case, I want to use the Bris/TSN file that will also feed my pace program(s).

Looks like I'm back to a possible (eventual) homegrown format CSV file solution :-(

-clue

less is more

lefthandlow
10-31-2005, 09:03 PM
I have aodds gold 5.5.Is that the last one out?It was good on turf as I recall.I haven't used it in years don't know why I guess I forgot about It.I'm sure it has a program that converts the bris drf file and the tsn file to make the data work in the program so you don't have to buy the aodds file.
If I get a minute I'll try it on the brides xp computer and see if it works and I'll
let you know.If it screws up her computer I'll get killed.I know the pp viewer works on my winme and 98 system..

clue
10-31-2005, 09:49 PM
OK, lefthandlow...

Thanks. Much appreciated.

And if the wife's XP machine crashes, remember, it's all Jim Bradshaw's fault.

-clue

Secretariat
10-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Secretariat,

This is a longshot but is the past performance viewer/printer that's part of AODDS Gold by any chance a stand alone application that you could email me?

I've tried the so called Custom PP Generator and it just does not allow one to clean up and streamline the look of it's output enough. And, like I say, I really like the look of the AODDS past performances.

Anyone else annoyed by the piling on of ratings and data in the Bris past performances?

I'm open to any suggestions here. Anyone especially pleased with his method of producing minimalist clean, clear pps?

Thanks,
clue

The Past Performance Viewer in AOdds Gold is not a stand alone program. I should be more specific in it working in XP. AOdds Gold "98" works in XP. AOdds Gold "98" was written in 1997 by Randy Kovach. There are previous versions of AOdds Gold. Modeling BEL for a couple hundred races and appyling on BC day got two winners - Artie Schiller, and Saint Liam.

It is a shame it ended, but I understand Bradshaw's health was bad, and Randy's computer responsibilties on his job allowed him little time for continued work. He had programmed Workshorse, Pace Calcualtor, Geer PRL, and a couple others along with AOdds.

I'm gonna keep mine since it works ok. May be an antique one day. lol..