PDA

View Full Version : Calibration Handicapping

Sam-I am
06-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Has anyone read this book Calibration Handicapping-the next level by James Lehane, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

aaron
06-13-2002, 06:32 PM
I read Jim Lehane's "Calibration Handicapping"and found it to be a very informative book. Jim has recently added to his orginal book and I am sure anyone who is interested in trip handicapping and moves within a race will take something out of this book.

Tom
06-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Do a search on this board with the words calibration handicapping or with just the word Lehane. There was a lot of posting about Jim and the book a few months back.

GameTheory
06-14-2002, 12:32 AM
Looks like he just came out with a new version a couple of days ago...

Tom
06-17-2002, 09:15 PM
I ordered it Friday and it came today.
I'll read it and post a review later this week. I have to drive up to Oshawa Tuesday and hope to find time to stop off at Woodbine for a few simulcasts. If anyone is at WO, I'll be the one in the blue shirt-look me up. <G>

tigers1901
07-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Tom,are you still planning to review?Have many red ink pens.

sq764
08-01-2002, 07:36 PM
Why did you say have red pens? What did you think of the book?

Tom
08-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by tigers1901
Tom,are you still planning to review?Have many red ink pens.

Sorry about the delay-very busy at work lately. Back to normal now, so here goes, without giving away specifics, which are Jim's to sell, not mine.
The Red-pen technique has to do with marking the PP's for certain "moves" and postiive clues in the horse's lats few races. There is a list of moves that might signal improved performance today, and from my own experience with the method, they sometime lead to winners I would throw out early on in the handicapping process. Jim has some neat ideas, and he is a good writter. The book covers a lot of ideas and I think they are interesting to read and experiment with. The biggest advantage is that it gives you a step by step method of looking at the horses and this a hard thing for many players to do. I sometimes find myself straying from my own method of play and when I do, I am usually losing. It is important to stay focused.
There are some things Jim does with final fractions that are not exatly the same way you read about in other books. There s a free on-line booklet that explains how he handles fractions.
Overall, the book is good, has a few new things from the earlier version, and a lot of old material re-sttated, but ssin a somewhat different manner, so maybe it will make more sense to some this time. Jim did fantastic at Belmont last summer, then fell apart when they went to Aqueduct and I think the emphasis on final fractions is why. The method is dyn-o-mite on turf, and I think with a little creative thinking, the ideas can be profitable on speed favoring tracks as well.
Overall, the book is a good read and the ideas worth looking at.
Some of the moves have become ingrained in my first soft-focus look at the PP's, and the red-pen highlights are helpful at this stage.

Richard
08-09-2002, 08:54 AM
I have an earlier edition of Mr.Lehane's book.Can anyone give the web address where the new edition can be ordered?

sq764
08-10-2002, 11:46 AM
I think this is the site:

http://www.free-horseracing-info.com/handicapping-cal.html

BIG HIT
08-13-2002, 11:02 AM
Hi guy's tom if you have his frist book is it worth buying his new book.Or is it mostly a rehash of what has been said already.?

Tom
08-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by BIG HIT
Hi guy's tom if you have his frist book is it worth buying his new book.Or is it mostly a rehash of what has been said already.?

Some of it is re-hash, some of it new. There are new moves outlined and some new text about fractions,etc. Probably worth it if you are using his method, or if you absolutely have to have everyhting ever published about racing <G>.