PDA

View Full Version : 'Bet All Longshots' strategy for BC

gonin02
10-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi all,

If someone approached the BC by betting all horses with 10-1 odds or higher, would there be conditions where one should pass on a race? Using the bet all method, I was thinking of passing on the 1st race, since half the field are would-be contenders (by looking at the odds).

Any thoughts?

DrugSalvastore
10-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

If someone approached the BC by betting all horses with 10-1 odds or higher, would there be conditions where one should pass on a race? Using the bet all method, I was thinking of passing on the 1st race, since half the field are would-be contenders (by looking at the odds).

Any thoughts?

Shake The Bank will be over 10-to-1 in the BC Turf.

I wish I could book every dollar bet on Shake The Bank.

Figman
10-26-2005, 10:04 PM
You might find this article pertinent!
http://tinyurl.com/sy2r

twindouble
10-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi all,

Any thoughts? My thought would be this. The day I start playing the horses like that is the day I quit. I would rather go down using what ever handicapping skills I have, isn't that what it's all about? Otherwise just play the lottery.

Ron
10-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Won't at least two thirds of the horses on BC day be longer than 10-1?

gonin02
10-27-2005, 02:44 AM
My thought would be this. The day I start playing the horses like that is the day I quit. I would rather go down using what ever handicapping skills I have, isn't that what it's all about? Otherwise just play the lottery.

i completely agree, it's not handicapping at all...but the stats from the last few years are very encouraging.... a short-term abberation from the norm, or some kind of phenomena limited to the Breeders Cup? This is the only set of races where I would consider trying this...

~jAY
10-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi all,

Any thoughts?

I think I'd prefer to "Dutch" a few horses that fit the race senerio. It's the handicapping that makes Breeders' Cup day.

kenwoodallpromos
10-27-2005, 01:44 PM
In most races I use the "LONGER" qualifications when deciding to bet multiple longshots:
Age- older
Distance- longer
Gate- larger field
Time- slower finish expected due to pace, or track dymanics
Price/Purse- This one smaller is usually better.

Valuist
10-27-2005, 02:30 PM
One great thing about BC day is that there's plenty of big longshots who are solid horses and in excellent form.

JimG
10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
After once through, my bold prediction for this year is many favorites or near-favorites will win the BC races this year. I do hope I am wrong as I will be taking stabs with longshots as usual that I think have a chance.

Hope everyone has a great day at the races.

Jim

GameTheory
10-27-2005, 04:31 PM
My thought would be this. The day I start playing the horses like that is the day I quit. I would rather go down using what ever handicapping skills I have, isn't that what it's all about? Otherwise just play the lottery.The day I leave money on the table just because I don't have to actually handicap to get it is the day I'm going to quit.

JackS
10-27-2005, 04:32 PM
I think the betting pools will mirror the Derby in that a lot of unknowledgeable money will be thrown at regional heros (East vs West, U.S Versus Europe etc.) not to mention favorite jocks and trainers . Many people will be playing into the BC that have little or no interest/knowledge of horse racing other than these annual events.
Oppertunities should abound given the above scenerio which I believe exist.