PDA

View Full Version : Breeder's Cup Odds in the UK

garyoz
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to monitor online the odds for the BC in the UK? Do any of U.K. bookmakers post odds during the running of the races, or even the day of the races? I'm not interested so much for arbitrage as for getting another perspective on the international shippers.

Zman179
10-26-2005, 11:01 AM
www.racingpost.co.uk is an ideal place to compare prices amongst the bookmakers in Britain.

Valuist
10-26-2005, 11:05 AM
I remember catching the exacta in the 2004 Million mainly due to checking the UK prices and comparing to ours. They had Powerscourt at a far lower price than what the Arlington morning line and DRF selectors had. My theory is respect their opinion on the turf races, especially regarding their horses, but take prices on races like the Sprint and Distaff with a grain of salt.

Zman179
10-26-2005, 11:23 AM
I remember catching the exacta in the 2004 Million mainly due to checking the UK prices and comparing to ours. They had Powerscourt at a far lower price than what the Arlington morning line and DRF selectors had. My theory is respect their opinion on the turf races, especially regarding their horses, but take prices on races like the Sprint and Distaff with a grain of salt.

Europeans habitually overbet horses coming from their own continent. It is extremely rare to find better odds in Europe that in the US on a European runner, especially those coming from England.

frenchy
10-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Salut !!

You can find really better odds on betfair !!!

Valuist
10-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Zman-

The Europeans may overbet their own horses but that doesn't mean the bookmakers overprice them. And judging from the Europeans performances in the Mile and Turf over the years, who's to say they've been overbet? They said last year Ouija Board would win the F/M Turf, and she did. Had Jamie Spencer not been riding Powerscourt, he likely wins the Turf. And Antonius Pius had some trouble in the stretch and he still took Singletary right to the wire. Maybe they overbet Dancing Brave but they may have underestimated Manila a bit.

So are they overbetting their horses or are we Yanks just underbetting them?

AngelEyes
10-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Salut !!

You can find really better odds on betfair !!!

On Sunday's International at Woodbine I noticed that a couple of the European horses were overbet at Betfair(consisting of mostly UK customers) as compared to track itself. I booked these bets and was happy to see a North American horse romp home. Will be interesting to see differences in odds on BC Day.

frenchy
10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
i ve take some lost in frog at 4 / 1 at betfair it s 5 /1 in american odds !!
Ouja board at 8 /1 ( 9 for you)....

garyoz
10-26-2005, 01:17 PM
www.racingpost.co.uk is an ideal place to compare prices amongst the bookmakers in Britain.

Great site Zman. Very useful, while only one book is currently listed, it will be very interesting when they are all up. I'm surprised that Starcraft is 7 to 1 in the classic. Would have thought that he would have been shorter. Wonder if he'll be 10 to 1 at Belmont? Thanks again for the site.

falconridge
10-26-2005, 01:34 PM
So are they overbetting their horses or are we Yanks just underbetting them?A little from Column A, a little from Column B ...

Valuist
10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Starcraft has been holding at a steady 13/2 for the past 6 days now at William Hill.

FR- I think a little more from Column B.

garyoz
10-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Starcraft is listed as 12-1 from the #14 post according to TTimes. Saint Liam is 3 to 1 ML.http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=58510&subsec=2

falconridge
10-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Starcraft has been holding at a steady 13/2 for the past 6 days now at William Hill.

FR- I think a little more from Column B.Agreed. Just human nature, I suppose, to fancy more the homefront heroes, and discount the out-of-towners. That said, with his link to the UK books Zman has provided a source for insight. I also concur with your judgment, Valuist, about the accuracy with which Brit bookmakers have pegged the Euro runners. I had Antonius Pius on the front end in last year's Mile.

Best of luck to all.

toetoe
10-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Gary,
I think the linemaker took the post into account before landing at that price. In those improbable posts, the 3/1 on Saint Liam makes it seem he's much the best, acc. to the linemaker.

garyoz
10-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd agree on the ML for Saint Liam. Great value at 3 to 1 going 10 furlongs at Belmont. Personally, I don't care about posts at that distance. He has Borrego at 9/2--which must be based upon the visual appearance of his last race (certainly not his speed fig).. I like Saint Liam and Starcraft at the the ML. I hope the public sends it in on Borrego. Not sure what to make of Flower Alley at 10-1. He probably needs a vacation.

BarnieClockerbigal
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM
The absolute best site is http://www.oddschecker.com

clink horse race on right hand side. Click ante post betting and click breeders cup

Prolly the wierdest race is the Turf. Shaky odds 6-1 Shirroco 7-1.

ML is 3 and 20. :cool:

I take it the euros don't read the sheets. **LOL**