PDA

View Full Version : Equibase chart flub

cnollfan
10-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I put a few dollars on Free Thinking in the Remington Green Stakes on Friday 10/21 (RP, race 2). After saving ground in third place around the clubhouse turn, #1 Free Thinking moved up 3 wide to challenge for the lead down the backstretch and around the far turn before fading in the stretch. I was not keen on Pettinger's premature wide move, but that's beside the point. I could not believe the chart when it came out, putting Free Thinking 6th, 4 1/2 lengths behind the leader, at the pre-stretch call. As far as I remember (have not seen the race since and since I have dial-up won't be seeing it anytime soon) Free Thinking was in front at that point. Plus, the comment "close up along the rail for a half, weakened" does not seem accurate.

I e-mailed Equibase with these concerns and was told that Equibase had nothing to do with it, it was Remington Park's responsibility. I forwarded that response to Remington and was told that while the official finish position is a responsibility of Remington, the chart taking is Equibase's responsibility.

Eventually this will probably get repaired since I am making a fuss about it, but I wonder how many other Equibase charts are hosed in similar fashion and remain unrepaired. Meanwhile they purport to time races in 1/100s of a second? What a joke.

sevenall
10-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Your picture of the race is accurate. I just reviewed the video and "Free Thinking" had the lead at the quarter pole and then faded quickly in the next furlong (he was never 6th until he faded)

Maybe it depends on what they're calling the "pre-stretch" call...?

cnollfan
10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Equibase has since amended the chart running line and comments. Brisnet still has the original chart posted.