PDA

View Full Version : Bel Change in Distance

Figman
10-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Sunday's third race originally scheduled for the turf will now be on the main track. Nothing new but the distance was to be 1 1/2 miles. Although they run this distance at Belmont Park (it is once around), this race will now be a 1 1/8 miles on the main track. The reason - 4 yr. olds and up would have stayed at 1 1/2 miles but these are all 3 yr. olds and the 1 1/2 miles is not conducive to our current thoroughbred breed in the US.

foregoforever
10-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Are the Belmont turf courses in such sad shape that a half-inch of rain on Saturday takes them off the turf today? After a week of dry weather (according to NOAA)?

The Jamaica, Lawrence Realization, Pilgrim, Miss Grillo, Athenia, Pebbles, Mohawk, Ticonderoga - all washed off. I don't think Belmont has run a turf stakes in 3 weeks. I realize they got swamped about 10 days ago, but has it been that bad since?

Figman
10-23-2005, 03:22 PM
The courses are being pampered for next Saturday.

the little guy
10-23-2005, 04:39 PM
It's worse than that.....the BC won't let them run turf races.

To be honest, hosting the BC is a thankless job.

Tom
10-23-2005, 04:45 PM
It's worse than that.....the BC won't let them run turf races.

To be honest, hosting the BC is a thankless job.

All week? Or just on off tracks?

the little guy
10-23-2005, 10:54 PM
With any minor amount of rain. I will guess the first grass race they actually run this week, with rain predicted Monday night/Tuesday, will be the Knickerbocker on Friday.