PDA

View Full Version : What Program records M/L and Odds?

Molock
06-11-2002, 02:47 AM
Okay, I haven't used too many programs, but considering the way I would like to db handicap, I was wondering what programs record both M/L and Closing Odds, (even better, a program that records the last 10 minutes of odds) and then allows you to research info regarding both. It seems to me that a program will do one or the other but rarely both. But again, I've only used a handful of programs, so I may simply be naive in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

hdcper
06-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Shane,

The export from HTR will give you both the morning line odds and closing odds(once the results and chart files are loaded). Check out Ken's site at

www.homebased2.com

You can download and testdrive the program and export. Check out the discussion board too, all users are very helpful and will be glad to help out.

hdcper

Handle
06-16-2002, 02:03 AM
Shane,

Let us know if you find something you like. My list of things I want to implement is getting longer and longer, but what you're talking about is right up there.

My interest stems from the number of times that I see an exacta probably that doesn't fit come home -- for example a 35$ exacta without the favorite where all other non-FAV combinations are much higher. Currently, I have no idea if this is mere coincidence or what.

I think it would be really useful to have a program that:

A) Gathered the data over time from the tote boards.

B) Developed rules based both on sudden fluctuations ( a drop in price, for example) as well as "irregular" exacta payouts.

C) Used the rules to find tote angles, debunk felacious myths, perhaps even develop a "Tote Figure" for ranking the likelyhood of a horse winning(!?). You could have a 10K Claimer "par" Tote figure. This last thought said with tongue slightly in cheek... Seriously though, one could come up a tote "impact value" that could then be measured in the statistical fashion. You might find that if a particular payout differed by some amount from the standard deviation after taking into account odds it represented an exceptional play -- who knows? I'm interested enough to find out, just wish I had more time.

-Handle

Molock
06-18-2002, 09:21 PM
I had a similar idea awhile ago, but since gave it up because there was no program or non-labor-intensive way of recording, say, the last ten minutes of odds before a race began (for all tracks) - at least not one that I'm aware of (if I don't qualify that statement, Schwartz will probably tell me that that's yet another feature of the incredibly wonderful HSH that I'm not aware of).

Have you ever looked into Camptown Races stuff? Especially his latest, Toteboard Voodoo? I think it's exactly along those lines, though I'm not sure if he has "impact values" for his toteboard system, but I get the impression that his method comes close.

SM

GameTheory
06-19-2002, 05:09 AM
I wrote a program that saved every flash of the tote (Racing Channel) for thousands of races at all tracks in the last several months, although WPS pools only so no exacta comparisons possible. In fact, right now I'm making a custom version of the program for someone that will track all the pools.

I haven't been doing it lately, and as many discussions pointed out we may not be getting the whole toteboard picture with the online board, not to mention all the money that comes in late, etc. etc.

If you do a search on for the thread "Quantifying tepidity" (yes, "tepidity") from March you can see some of the discussion about odds from different minutes, etc.