PDA

View Full Version : Funny Films

witchdoctor
10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
My family was discussing what they thought were the funniest films they had ever seen. I went blank and could only come up with Animal House, Blazzing Saddles, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Airplanen and What's UP Doc.

What some on the others that I am missing? :D

Overlay
10-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I've always said that if I were stranded on a desert island, all I would need to keep amused would be the three Naked Gun! movies (along with the six television episodes of Police Squad! which the movies were inspired by), the two Airplane! movies, and Monty Python's Life of Brian, which gets my personal vote as the funniest Python movie. They all make me laugh no matter how many times I watch them. I agree (as you suggested) that Blazing Saddles would be a worthy addition, as well.

betchatoo
10-20-2005, 01:06 PM
For me you can add Young Frankenstein, The Producers and My Favorite Year

banacek
10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Well, only 1 scene and not a comedy, but the loudest and longest laughter I have ever heard in a theatre was in the first "Indiana Jones" movie. When the bad guy comes out and does this sword and knife spin routine for a few seconds - them then audience is waiting to see what Indiana will do - and Harrison Ford kind of has this look and then pulls out a gun from under his clothes and shoots him. I couldn't stop laughing.

My comedies would include many of yours: Airplane, Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles, almost any Monty Python, Animal House, The Jerk, Bananas, Dr. Strangelove, Duck Soup, actually almost any Marx brothers, Chaplin, or Buster Keaton movie.

andicap
10-20-2005, 01:42 PM
My comedies would include many of yours: Airplane, Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles, almost any Monty Python, Animal House, The Jerk, Bananas, Dr. Strangelove, Duck Soup, actually almost any Marx brothers, Chaplin, or Buster Keaton movie.

all great films in this thread but don't forget GROUNDHOG DAY, STRIPES, many WC Fields movies(BANK DICK is my fave), those 30s and 40s screwball comedies especially from Preston Sturges, the first ARTHUR ("I'll alert the media."), and FLETCH films, IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, BEVERLY HILLS COPS (again, just the first), the Hepburn/Tracy films like ADAM"S RIB, DR. STRANGELOVE, the first few Inspector Clouseau movies with Peter Sellers, HIGH ANXIETY, early Woody Allen, WHAT ABOUT BOB (Bill Murray), MAJOR LEAGUE, BULL DURHAM,

and the unintentionally funny original "Babe Ruth Story" with William Bendix.

falconridge
10-20-2005, 08:23 PM
and the unintentionally funny original "Babe Ruth Story" with William Bendix.
"Want me t' hit a home run for ya, kid?"

In the spirit of the season, how about this scene--which Dan Quayle might have called "heart rendering"--from Pride of the Yankees:

Columbia Lou (Gary "Yup" Cooper), puzzled by what's caused his prolonged slump, goes to the Mayo Clinic for a battery of tests. Mayo Meds, 'mazed by moxie, mettle of Iron Horse, somehow stall as to cause of meltdown (some clinic! They couldn't figure out he had Lou Gehrig's Disease?). Then, Head Med calls Lou into his office, hems, haws, tries to hold back tears. Lou, who can handle The Truth: "I'm a guy who likes to know his own battin' average." Med, overcome with grief, turns away. Lou: "Is it three strikes, Doc?"

Kinda made me wish the Doc had said, instead of whatever he did say (I couldn't catch it, I was laughing so hard), "Why, no, Mr. Gehrig. You have testicular cancer: it's a foul ball."

F.R.
Yuckiest man ... in this phase of my girth