PDA

View Full Version : Music Link...

SilverSow
10-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi all...

As Johnny Fever used to say... "Sacred music... B.B. King!" Except it's not B.B. King... :)

Not sure if anyone cares... but I'm posting this in a few places (and no, I have no financial interest... LOL)... it's a link to an interview with Stephen Stills & includes material from his new release (which is actually pretty good).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4955834

Make sure you click on the "listen" link... the interview is about 7 minutes long and has some mildly interesting stuff (well... interesting to me, at least.. LOL).

Dave

Kreed
10-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Great piece. Thanks for the link. It's cool to hear oldsters like Neill Young
& Herbie Hancock & now Stills still pumping them out. I got Neill Young's
new CD a few weeks ago, Prarie Wind, and at first I didn't like it all that much,
but after a few listens, I just love that squeeky voice. The only Stills' cd I
have is ILLEGAL STILLS -- a B-day gift from my father & its Great.

SilverSow
10-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi...

Glad you enjoyed the music. Yeah, I guess he IS an oldster.. but then, so am I... LOL... caught 4 shows on this year's CSN tour, 3 of 'em with Bubbles, and all of them within 5 rows of the stage. The energy the guys generate is still great to see, and they sound better now than they have in years...

Dave

Kreed
10-21-2005, 07:17 PM
thinking Oldsters, are you a CREAM fan? How about anyone out TherE?
I did not know of them, but RIGHT NOW, I'm listening to NSU ... what a
FAB SONG. what F'N Guitars. I am humbled. I wanna Cream too; I could
NOT get a tic to MSG ... but all tomorrow, I will try. Cost, Not a Issue.
Is any1 here going? Man, I love Rock (& Rockers) ... ps, only1 ticket is
needed; i just love this ... & I'm so-so with Clapton ala 2000+. But here, w0w!

JustRalph
10-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Tree top flyer.........stills...........great guitar

Tom
10-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Kreed, if you like Cram, check out John Mayall and the Blues breakers and definately look into the YardBirds. Two "key bands" that spaned off numerous superstars. Everyone went through the Yardbirds at one time or another, it seems.
I saw Clapton live at an open air venue here in Canandaigua a few years back - I swear he made the damn grass grow with his licks.

Kreed
10-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Its amazing. I never realized just how many many came out of the Yardbirds?
Absoultely amazing. I am def gonna get me a few cds. On a music note,
there is a hot NYC band called BRAVERY. They just played Roseland & are
touring as opening for Depeche Mode (LOL) ... any rate, Solange & me are
doing a groupie thing going to Fort Lauderdale on 11/2 & Tampa on 11/3
seeing them play. They are suberb in the spirit of The Cure/New Order --- and
it turns out, groups that they idolized. Pick up their only CD & you'll shake
your booty.

Buddy Love
10-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I agree about the Yardbirds. Three great guitarists played with them Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page. Some other good British blues groups were the early Animals, Savoy Brown, and Fleetwood Mac before they added the women. "Oh Well" is a classic.

Anyone around Detroit remember Cactus? They really played some great kick-butt blues and rock n' roll like "Feel So Good" and "Parchment Farm". :cool:

Dan

"I just want to talk to you. I won't uh, do you no harm. I just want to know about your different lives, on this here people farm." -Jimi

Tom
10-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Cactus-have an album from them - great band.

Savoy Brown was one of the best live bands I ever saw - Wang Dang Doodled all night long! :cool:

Buddy Love
10-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Tom,

I think it was the Cactus 8-Track that blew my speakers out in my 67 Camaro back in the 70's. :cool:

Detroit really had some great bands in that area back then. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, Terry Knight, Mitch Ryder, MC5, Grand Funk, etc. I never made it to the Grandy - the Grand Ballroom - but heard a lot of stories about the place.

Dan

"The mystery man came over
And he said "I'm outta sight!"
He said for a nominal service charge
I could reach nirvana tonight." -Zappa

Tom
10-23-2005, 11:57 AM
"Don't eat the yellow snow.
Way down there where the huskies go."
- Zappa

Buddy Love
10-24-2005, 12:04 PM
:lol:

Back when we lived in Phoenix, we used to go over to Sun City where my in-laws lived. We also went over to many of their friends houses there. Usually, most of the retirees were playing their Nat King Cole, Glenn Miller, Julie London, Sinatra, etc., which is good music which I can get into.

I started thinking what the residents of Sun City will be playing when our generation retires. Can you imagine hearing Black Sabbath, Zepplein, Clapton, Beatles, Hendrix, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, etc., at family gatherings?

I'll even be playing some Zappa:

"She's just like a penguin in bondage, boy
Oh yeah, way over on the wet side of the bed."

Dan