PDA

View Full Version : House Jockey Guild Hearing

Wiley
10-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Looks like Dr. G might get his comeupance. :ThmbUp: Wonder if this made CSPAN?

http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=30568

kenwoodallpromos
10-19-2005, 05:18 PM
I know about the Federal labor laws, but why is congress holding hearings? I think it is nonsense to get congress PR.

Wiley
10-19-2005, 06:10 PM
but why is congress holding hearings? I think it is nonsense to get congress PR.
Don't know all of the details but I think this House subcommittee asked for financial information from the jockey guild and it was either not provided or deemed inadequate thus the hearings.
I look at it as trying to right a wrong. The treatment of Gary Birzer is a disgrace.

From the hearing:
"The Birzers said repeated telephone calls to Gertmenian and Fiss went unanswered, and when the two visited Birzer in a rehabilitation center "the only thing they wanted to discuss was how I should sue Mountaineer Park, not why the Guild couldn't help me," Gary Birzer said. At one point, Amy Birzer asked Fiss why the Guild wasn't helping her husband. "Try to understand," she said he told her. "Horse racing is a billion-dollar industry. Jockeys should not be paying for their own insurance and we are using your husband as a 'guinea pig' to make a statement." Later, under oath Tuesday, Fiss admitted to saying that and said he had apologized to the Birzers."

kenwoodallpromos
10-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Disicable. I guess Congress figures it is interstsate fraud or something. But I think if there was not a lot of news coverage already the hearing would not be taking place. Maybe its good Congress is responding to "public outcry". I guess the hearing are OK.