PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct's days numbered?

Milleruszk
10-19-2005, 12:57 PM
The first track that I ever attended with my father. Now it's come to this?
I used to be a staunch supporter of NYRA, but even for me, this is too much.

http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15411621&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17708&rfi=6

:bang:

cj
10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
From the article:

Hayward favors putting an all-weather track at Belmont, similar to one experimented with at Keeneland, which would allow for winter racing.

Is this the new craze or something?

ryesteve
10-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but speaking from a logical perspective, is there really any reason why NYRA needs two downstate tracks?

OTM Al
10-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Belmont ain't got no heat. Its cold there til July. They would have to do a major overhaul or abandon winter racing

the little guy
10-19-2005, 05:31 PM
I have no inside information here, but I think it sounds like they have a plan, which is a lot more than can be said for the past NYRA administrations. The truth is that running two tracks just doesn't make much sense anymore.

I realize Belmont would have to be winterized, but with two turf courses, wouldn't it be nice to be able to use that facility for the whole seven or eight months we can race on the turf in NY?

cj
10-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I see nothing wrong with closing Aqueduct either. Pimlico should do the same, but it won't happen because it is in Baltimore, where Laurel is not, and the Preakness thing gets in the way big time.

fouroneone
10-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Aqueduct is the only NYC track and the only track easily accessible by subway in NYC.

Trekking out to belmont from manhattan is difficult, time consuming, and more expensive than the one ride subway trip.

I dont imagine many people or the administration in NYC would be too happy with this move.

the little guy
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
And boy do people flock to Aqueduct!

And, I would be willing to bet few, if any, people here have ( and continue ) taken the subway to Aqueduct more than I have over the last 20 years.

Pace Cap'n
10-19-2005, 06:53 PM
NYRA Backing Away From Comments Concerning Future of Aqueduct

Just sort of a dream sequence......

news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=30573 (http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=30573)

Milleruszk
10-19-2005, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=Pace Cap'n]NYRA Backing Away From Comments Concerning Future of Aqueduct

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif][size=4][color=#336600][size=3]Just sort of a dream sequence......

Yep this is starting to be like watching the latest episode of "Lost".

Reading the article it seems that the granting of slots at the Big A is contingent on having live racing. Some tracks around the country, which are for all intents and purposes simulcast outlets, are required by law to hold live racing at least once a year. Apparantly this is the way the Big A law is written.

Tom
10-19-2005, 08:40 PM
I would rather see Belmont closed - to me, the idea of one turn routes up to 9 furlongs is just plain stupid. A mile and a half track with most horses not able to get that distance in a van is bizzare. I play very few Belmont races - only turf, basically ( but then again, I play NO inner track races).

kenwoodallpromos
10-19-2005, 09:13 PM
1 track per circuit- use the sale of all other tracks on each circuit to finance lower takeouts.

v_d_g
10-19-2005, 11:45 PM
I would rather see Belmont closed - to me, the idea of one turn routes up to 9 furlongs is just plain stupid. A mile and a half track with most horses not able to get that distance in a van is bizzare. I play very few Belmont races - only turf, basically ( but then again, I play NO inner track races).

Incredible.
Every trip to Belmont I initially go to the top level and just revel at the expanse. What a beautiful track. What a beautiful setting. What a great places for horse to train and a day at the track.

Aqueduct is a middle ages out house compared to Belmont. The train ride there is about as pleasant as living in a housing project.

Yeah, let's close the prized possession and keep the crap.

No accounting for taste. Typical

Observer
10-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Only time will tell the future .. but over the years, going back into the 80s even .. there have been the rumblings that Aqueduct should/would be closed.

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2005, 12:03 AM
I like Aqueduct....it's a throwback , kind of like the "old Las Vegas" before they went and tried to make it "family friendly" (but then scraped that idea and went back to "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas....")

Belmont is like the family friendly Vegas. I love both tracks, precisely because they are so different from one another....

Tom
10-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Incredible.
Every trip to Belmont I initially go to the top level and just revel at the expanse. What a beautiful track. What a beautiful setting. What a great places for horse to train and a day at the track.

Aqueduct is a middle ages out house compared to Belmont. The train ride there is about as pleasant as living in a housing project.

Yeah, let's close the prized possession and keep the crap.

No accounting for taste. Typical

You ride the subway in NYC....I guess there IS no accounting for taste.
Beautiful or not, they all look alike in the tv monitors, and far more people are watching there than in person. You like parks, go to Central Park. Feed the other squirrels.