PDA

View Full Version : Polytrack abounds

46zilzal
10-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Word is that Keeneland is investingating Polytrack as is Woodbine (where the "hang up" is how it will fare over the Winter).

Hear that the main complaint (although NO breakdowns) at Turfway is that the "kick back" is causing horses to cough.

andicap
10-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Can horses legally take Robotussin? (sp?)

:) :)

46zilzal
10-13-2005, 02:40 PM
There are actually several varieties of Robitussin. Most all of them have guaifenesin, an expectorant which "loosens" the congestion and would be benign. The other major ingredient on some of them is dextromethorphan (has the anti-tussive equivalent of codeine) which has the possiblity of dizziness.

Valuist
10-13-2005, 02:59 PM
I find this interesting. When one of the track management people was being interviewed back in the opening week, they said the great thing was there was no kickback. Even Ray Charles could see all the kickback during the TP races.

Macdiarmadillo
10-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Two different flavors of kickback here. Management was talking about the sand spray that makes horses back up in the pack (think Charles Atlas). What I see with Polytrack is dust being kicked up. If they breathe that stuff, that's not good, at least I don't think breathing ground-up tires and oil is good for you. Any jockey complaints?

Polytrack's been used for winter racing in England for several years now. I guess Canada doesn't think those "mild English winters" were enough of a test.

BTW, there were horses vanned off at TP though none died; TP averaged about 5-6 deaths a meet previously. Van-offs were lower this meet, too.

Buddha
10-14-2005, 12:13 AM
BTW, there were horses vanned off at TP though none died; TP averaged about 5-6 deaths a meet previously. Van-offs were lower this meet, too.

Can that really be attributed to the Polytrack, or possibly just the fact that the horses wernt as unsound, or other factors altogether

LRL Racing
10-14-2005, 12:33 AM
My trainer told me that every horse he ran at Turfway came back good. No body soreness with any of them. The horses we had coughed up anything picked up from the track so all appears very good. Used to we had to pump out sand after every race we ran.

JustRalph
10-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Keeneland already has a polytrack. It is their training track. That is what sold them on putting one in at Turfway. I believe Keeneland is the majority owner at Turfway

BIG49010
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I saw they approved engineering for a poly track, and in general if you do the engineering at a million, you do the project sooner or later. Interesting that they are partners in the company that does poly track.

witchdoctor
10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
I saw an article last year about poly track at TP. The initial plan was to import the components to build the track from England. After seeing the cost, they(Kee) determined it was cheaper to build a factory in Lexington.

Hosshead
10-15-2005, 06:26 AM
I have a feeling that the Polytrack of today is a very crude version of the Polytrack of "tomorrow".
Since wild horses travel in herds, kicking up a lot of dust and sand, you'd think that evolution and mother nature would have given their respiratory system a defense against it.

However breathing in particles of B.F.Goodrich Radials may cause problems that evolution hasn't had time to guard against.