PDA

View Full Version : THE WHEELS ARE "TURNING"

karlskorner
10-13-2005, 09:45 AM
From Throughbred Times

New York Senate to meet in special session over NYRA franchise

The New York Senate will meet in special session in November or December to discuss the possibility of an early end to the New York Racing Association's franchise to operate Aqaueduct, Belmont Park and Saratoga Race Course, Capital News 9 reports.

Although NYRA franchise expires on December 31, 2007, Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno (R-Brunswick) suggested the requests for proposals process to identify NYRA successor be accelerated and pressed state lawmakers to identify the next franchise by as early as April or May.

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2005, 06:42 PM
In an unreported but related event, Bruno went on to say that the list of possible NYRA successors is a rather short one...in fact, his list only contains one name....starts with M, ends with A.....

Hint, Bruno's son works for this unnamed successor in the role of PAID LOBBYIST in NEW YORK STATE of all places (last time I looked....if things have changed, please correct me....)

Let's see some news articles about this total conflict of interest....shouldn't Bruno recuse himself from any and ALL things NYRA-related?

P.S. (The first paragraph of this post is my rather weak attempt at sarcasm and is not intended to be taken as fact)

the little guy
10-13-2005, 06:55 PM
The Daily News actually had an editorial the other day ripping Bruno apart for this exact conflict of interest. I was shocked.

WINMANWIN
10-13-2005, 07:02 PM
In an unreported but related event, Bruno went on to say that the list of possible NYRA successors is a rather short one...in fact, his list only contains one name....starts with M, ends with A.....

Hint, Bruno's son works for this unnamed successor in the role of PAID LOBBYIST in NEW YORK STATE of all places (last time I looked....if things have changed, please correct me....)

Let's see some news articles about this total conflict of interest....shouldn't Bruno recuse himself from any and ALL things NYRA-related?

The COMEDY CONTINUES, I read that also about Bruno's SON BEING A PAID LOBBYIST FOR MAGNA :eek: I also read, Bruno said it would not be a factor
in the decision. :eek: To say the truth, I couldnt give a flying F--- who gets
the franchise anymore, These politicians think video slots are gonna be the answer, well I have been to AQUEDUCT many an afternoon when they were simulcasting etc, and the place is A RAT HOLE With or Without Video slots.
I think whoever takes over the franchise is gonna be in for a RUDE AWAKENING IF THEY believe AQUEDUCT and VLT'S ARE GONNA BE THE SALVATION :sleeping: The bottom line is, they need VLT'S at BELMONT AND TOGA, BUT THATS DOWN THE ROAD SOME.

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2005, 07:05 PM
The Daily News actually had an editorial the other day ripping Bruno apart for this exact conflict of interest. I was shocked.

Considering the way the Daily News has been flogging NYRA, it is indeed surprising. Anyone know the day this was published....is it available online? I'd love to read it....

the little guy
10-13-2005, 07:12 PM
I read it on another board, and I think it was Monday or Tuesday. That board is down right now, but if I can get the link I will post it.

They said they were all for NYRA getting the boot, yawn, but Bruno's conflict of interest was basically appalling.

weegee
10-13-2005, 07:34 PM
I checked the archives at Daily News web site and I didn't see anything except the news blurb by Bossert et al. You'd have to pay to get the whole article anyway. What I don't understand is why there isn't more about it in the racing press. Steve Crist has an occasional column, usually very sensible, but it's not widely available. Mark Simon in the TB Times was never a fan of NYRA and seems to be smugly satisfied about the turn of events. Paul Moran is more concerned with Eclipse voting. Nobody appears to be particularly upset about the state running racing or the prospect of Belmont becoming "Trump Park" or Magna making a botch of things in NY. It worries me a lot.

Tom
10-13-2005, 09:11 PM
NY legislature in general and Bruno in particular are theiving, lying, sacks o crap with no redeeming values. They are political whores who will do anything for a quarter. The best thing that could happen to Albany is for it to burn to the ground. Only that could stop the stench that evil city emitts.

I would believe a report on Al Jazeera before I would believe a thing Bruno ever said. This guy is a throw back to Tammany Hall days.

saratoga guy
10-13-2005, 11:22 PM
The NY Daily News piece was no love letter to NYRA. It knocked Bruno -- and NYRA.

...Now, (Bruno) is calling for early termination of the New York Racing Association's franchise to operate the Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga tracks, inviting other organizations to bid for the job. We heartily endorse the sentiment. It is long past time to get rid of NYRA, which has lurched from scandal to scandal, and bring in a management that can run a clean operation and make some money for taxpayers.

But it's hard to take the majority leader's idea at face value when Ken Bruno rakes in $15,000 a month as a lobbyist for Magna Entertainment, a leading contender to take over the state's racing business...

saratoga guy
10-13-2005, 11:24 PM
URL: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/354504p-302231c.html

rokitman
10-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Says he doesn't talk about state business with his son. Probably doesn't even know his son works for Magna. Or MSG. Or the Oneidas. Try this http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=372886

karlskorner
10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
The headlines in S. Florida today concern the repayment of $50K to Gulfstream Park ( not Magna ) by the State Republician party for a trip by 4 leading State Republican senators to Toronto, Canada ( the home I believe of Magna ). The purpose of the trip was not disclosed.

Better yet, seems a check written awhile back for 10 Million dollars was just cashed by the State Republician party, the check was written by Magna Entertainment,

weegee
10-14-2005, 08:31 AM
It is long past time to get rid of NYRA, which has lurched from scandal to scandal, and bring in a management that can run a clean operation and make some money for taxpayers.
The sad irony is that, thanks to the intense scrutiny of Getnick & Getnick, NYRA is probably the cleanest run racing operation in the country. Except for a few uncomfortable moments when Alan Hevesi had to grit his teeth and say something nice about NYRA, the report has been disregarded, leading a reasonable person to think it didn't turn out as expected - or desired. The changes implemented due to the court-appointed monitor will get swept away with NYRA, and when new management comes in, everything starts from square one, oversight board notwithstanding. Wouldn't it make more sense to build on the present, overhauled system? As far as making money, good luck. Magna has shown it can lose millions with the best of them.

Here's a question: if NYRA declares bankruptcy, does everything at the three tracks go on the auction block, including trophies and such? If so, the racing franchise is going to be a less attractive package afterward.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2005, 02:19 PM
It's a breath of fresh air to see Bruno and his son's rather interesting line of work finally get the time of day in the local press....

Tom
10-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Gee, I always thought NYRA contibuted millions to the economy in the form of jobs, commerce, taxes.......so they don't show a bottom line profit, they sure as heck are not leeches. Does NY really think Magna, or any other private owner will not siphon of profits and comtribute less overall?
For al the articles, comments, post, beefs, whines, and whatever, no one has yet presented, IMHO one single good reason to end the franshise. Not one.
(Well, maybe state bred races on the inner track, bit other thatn THAT!):bang:

highnote
10-15-2005, 01:51 PM
If you believe in free markets then you have to believe that the NYRA franchise should be closed. Then racing should be licensed to the highest bidder. Actually, I'd like to see a return to the old days when more than one company operated racetracks around New York City.

One potential problem.... what happens if New York racing is privitized and the land becomes more valuable to developers than as a racetrack. So Belmont or Saratoga gets sold off for gated community development. Maybe that would actually be a good thing. If you can't run a profitable business, then close the doors.