PDA

View Full Version : New NTRA slogan

kenwoodallpromos
10-11-2005, 10:22 PM
TBred Times has the article on NTRA's brand new original slogan "Who do you like today?", mouthed by mostly over 50 white males-
"celebrities Kid Rock, Dennis Hopper, Matthew Fox, Jerry O'Connell, Michael Imperiole, Wayne Gretzky, Rick Pitino, Alex Trebek, and Sir Richard Branson; trainers Bob Baffert, Bobby Frankel, D. Wayne Lukas, and Todd Pletcher; and jockeys Jerry Bailey, Jorge Chavez, and retired Racing Hall of Fame jockey Angel Cordero Jr." Most past retirement age in their chosen profession.

"This is really targeted to the core fan, the light fan, and the potentials,"
I guess to the slot players' husbands AND 2/3 2/3 to the already-fans!LOL!
Any comments? Can anyone help me make sense of this?

CryingForTheHorses
10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
TBred Times has the article on NTRA's brand new original slogan "Who do you like today?", mouthed by mostly over 50 white males-
"celebrities Kid Rock, Dennis Hopper, Matthew Fox, Jerry O'Connell, Michael Imperiole, Wayne Gretzky, Rick Pitino, Alex Trebek, and Sir Richard Branson; trainers Bob Baffert, Bobby Frankel, D. Wayne Lukas, and Todd Pletcher; and jockeys Jerry Bailey, Jorge Chavez, and retired Racing Hall of Fame jockey Angel Cordero Jr." Most past retirement age in their chosen profession.

"This is really targeted to the core fan, the light fan, and the potentials,"
I guess to the slot players' husbands AND 2/3 2/3 to the already-fans!LOL!
Any comments? Can anyone help me make sense of this?

Have another beer Ken!!!

Overlay
10-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Seems bound to encourage "pick-the-winner" handicapping, creating more higher-odds overlays. :)

Valuist
10-13-2005, 12:32 PM
The best marketing tool the NTRA should use?

Lower the takeout.

Its that simple.

falconridge
10-13-2005, 02:24 PM
The best marketing tool the NTRA should use?

Lower the takeout.

Its that simple.
Amen, Brother Valuist. This has been demonstrated time and again, in theory and practice. For now, we'll stick to the practice, and recall but one instance.

The infamous "O'Dwyer Bite" of 1946 resulted in the most precipitous decline in attendance and handle in the history of New York racing--and this in a year that saw massive increases and unprecedented prosperity at virtually every other U.S. racing circuit. The "Bite," proposed by NYC mayor William O'Dwyer, amounted to an approximately 50% increase in the takeout--or from about 10% (those were the days!) to 15% at Empire State tracks. Bettors began staying away in droves, purses were slashed, horsemen decamped, and at a time when New York racing might have thrived, it went into a swoon. By August, horseplayers were so fed up that the handle at the 1946 Saratoga meeting fell to less than half of what it had been in 1945.

When will the racing commissions and wagering boards ever learn? When pigs fly? When the Cubs win the world series? When JLo turns up in a good movie? We should live so long!

Overlay
10-13-2005, 02:37 PM
When JLo turns up in a good movie? We should live so long!

You mean you gave Gigli a thumbs-down??? ;)

Macdiarmadillo
10-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I imagine this commercial with Bobby F stopping a passerby on the street in Manhattan:

Frankel: "Who do you like today?"
Man: "Notre Dame by 3 and a half."
Frankel: "What are you, f***ing nuts? The line's absolutely wrong, I tell ya!"

Cut to NYPD officer vigilantly checking old lady's shopping bag outside subway entrance. Officer hears argument and quietly walks away in the opposite direction.

Fade to NTRA logo.

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2005, 06:59 PM
I think I saw one of these ads already, running at Belmont....it was very good, compared to what has been put out in the past....