PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifters

Bobby
10-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Any weightlifters that post here? Just curious. Im interested in nutritional supplements - legal ones - that work. Thanks in advance

Buddha
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
I do some weightlifting, and need to start getting back into the gym. I am sure that Storm Cadet, with him being a trainer at St. Johns, would have some knowledge that would be able to help you.

Valuist
10-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I used to take some of the Weider stuff back in the 80s when I was lifting 4-6 times a week. His stuff was good, but expensive. If you take protein powder, don't overdo it. Your body can only absorb about 30 grams of protein at a meal. Anything more either goes to waste or is used to fuel. Really no need to go over 100 grams a day of protein; it can put extra stress on your liver and kidneys. I tried Creatine for awhile a few years ago and saw strength increases about 10-15% across the board. It actually kind of scared me because I had peaked out a long time before that. GNC has a pretty good supply of products.

Tom
10-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I pick my ass up 20-30 times a day...I owe it all to Hershey Bars. :lol:

DrugSalvastore
10-12-2005, 05:33 AM
I pick my ass up 20-30 times a day...I owe it all to Hershey Bars. :lol:

Hershey Bars rock!!

Bobby, just start off with Creatine and protein shakes.

I'd also highly recommend taking 400MG's of caffine about one and a half hours before your workout.

basically, just go with those three to start. Maybe some vitamins, and fish oil as well...if you're looking to improve your overall health.

Valuist
10-12-2005, 09:36 AM
I strongly disagree on the caffeine. Caffeine has given me an irregular heartbeat several times. That will scare the hell out of you. If you have any sensitivity to it (keeping you awake), be very careful w/it and don't use it on an empty stomach.

Bobby
10-12-2005, 09:53 AM
The gym I go to is gonna open up a smoothie and supplement store on Monday. Maybe that will help. I used to do a little creatine. I've since gone to whey protein. But Im just not consistent enough with it. I need to lose about 10 lbs and then start on the whey.

I've heard cutting out caffiene means about 5 lbs. I ran 3 miles last nite, and lifted on Monday. Its just hard to see the results.

One nice positive is that in the last yr my body fat % has gone from 25 down to 22.

DrugSalvastore
10-12-2005, 11:17 AM
I strongly disagree on the caffeine. Caffeine has given me an irregular heartbeat several times. That will scare the hell out of you. If you have any sensitivity to it (keeping you awake), be very careful w/it and don't use it on an empty stomach.

In my opinion it makes you much more explosive---and it does a fantastic job of limiting stiffness and soreness from previous tough workouts.

Caffeine isn't for everyone I guess---I guess it's possible that it's the reason why I'm always up through the night and I rarely sleep much on most days of the week.