PDA

View Full Version : Good Example

Overlay
10-10-2005, 07:25 PM
My son sent me this link concerning remarks that the Dartmouth student body president delivered to the incoming freshmen during their orientation. I predict great things for Mr. Riner. He's definitely got more guts than I would have had under the same circumstances. Maybe there's hope for the Ivy League after all.

http://www.dartreview.com/archives/2005/10/07/noah_riner_06_welcomes_class_of_09.php

Suff
10-10-2005, 07:38 PM
nice speech.

Hope for the Ivy League after all. a little uncalled for. A Liberal Arts education has always centered on selflessness. In the true Jesuit tradition.

On the other hand, we’ve been disgusted by the looting, violence, and raping that took place even in the supposed refuge areas. In a time of crisis and death, people were paddling around in rafts, stealing TV’s and VCR’s. How could Americans go so low?

My purpose in mentioning the horrible things done by certain people on the Gulf Coast isn’t to condemn just them; rather it’s to condemn all of us. Supposedly, character is what you do when no one is looking, but I’m afraid to say all the things I’ve done when no one was looking. Cheating, stealing, lusting, you name it - How different are we? It’s easy to say that we’ve never gone that far: never stolen that much; never lusted so much that we’d rape; and the people we’ve cheated, they were rich anyway.

Let’s be honest, the differences are in degree. We have the same flaws as the individuals who pillaged New Orleans. Ours haven’t been given such free range, but they exist and are part of us all the same

How much of this theme have you seen on Pace Advantage? Its not the Ivy League you need to hope for.

Suff
10-10-2005, 07:46 PM
btw: Some serious flooding problems up there today. About an hour north of him are two big dams that Authorties have expressed concern about Breaking soon.
Check and make sure he's paying attention to what's going on around him.

Overlay
10-10-2005, 07:51 PM
I talked with him about that this afternoon. He said that Hanover had gotten a lot of rain, but he wasn't aware of any immediate flood danger. I'm sure he'll be keeping his eyes and ears open for developments. I appreciate your concern. Thanks.

Suff
10-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I talked with him about that this afternoon. He said that Hanover had gotten a lot of rain, but he wasn't aware of any immediate flood danger. I'm sure he'll be keeping his eyes and ears open for developments. I appreciate your concern. Thanks.
3 dead in New Hampshire flooding

CONCORD, N.H., Oct. 10 (UPI) -- At least three people died in New Hampshire when 11 inches of rain burst dams and sent rivers over their banks in southern and central part of the state
http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=TopNews&article=UPI-1-20051010-17562800-bc-us-flooding-nh-1stld.xml

Overlay
10-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the update. I didn't mean to ignore or minimize the flooding that has occurred in the state as a whole. I believe he was referring to the immediate area of the college.

Suff
10-10-2005, 08:08 PM
no no.. Not at all. I just wanted to let you know the extent of the issue. He's downhill from the Dam's in Keene.

I suppose he is in no immediate danger. However, probably not a good time to be straying from Base Camp, and perhaps a Good time to check with the schools emergency plans relating to all things Emergency.

He's your kid, he's far from home, he's young , and no doubt very bright, but erring on the side of Caution is good thing.

I'm sure he'll be fine, but if I was you I'd call the Dartmouth President and make sure!!!...:D