PDA

View Full Version : Horseplayerdaily article

highnote
06-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Here's an excerpt from an article by Jason Levin from Horseplayerdaily. Any comments?

http://www.horseplayerdaily.com/words/journals/belmont/20020608.0.cgi/

The folks not rooting for War Emblem are numerous too, and they made their presence felt on Friday. "Get ready for the terrorist Triple Crown," "Money talks and terrorists walk" were just two of many negative comments directed towards the Saudi Prince, who figures to get a pretty nasty reception on Saturday. Based on his public comments, he deserves exactly that. The man is a liar. He said "I'm just a businessman" when asked about his feelings regarding 9-11 and Saudi-US relations. Bullshit. He's the biggest publisher in Saudi Arabia, making him one of the most influential men in that nation. Hardly "Just a businessman". In addition, his papers have printed more than their share of Anti-American editorials. If he wants to mislead Americans, fine, but people deserve to know who he really is and what he's done, and he should be treated accordingly. From the sounds of the Friday crowd, he will.

Lefty
06-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Taking all that in consideration I don't know why anyone would want to take it out on the horse. War E just runs his heart out and doesn't know zilch about world affairs.
"The more I see of humans the more I love my dogs and cats"

Whitehos
06-09-2002, 04:31 PM
I too am just a businessman who happens to own horses. If I wrote the same stuff that Prince Ahmed bin Salman does in his newspapers they would have me in Guantanamo. He however flys back and forth on a private jet that can't be searched because of diplomatic ammunity. He claims to be more popular than Bush. What he meant was that more people hate him than bush.
Whitehos

andicap
06-09-2002, 05:14 PM
The political stuff aside, the 102,000 people I heard roaring at Belmont when War Emblem made his big move sure seemed to want him to win.
I think sometimes we hear an isolated comment or two and think it speaks for everyone.
I for one believe politics and sports don't mix. If it did there are a lot of teams and players I wouldn't root for. And as the house liberal (don't even start Boxcar, I'm not remotely interested in mixing it up here), I'd dislike every football coach in the country. Of course I don't relate politics to people -- I have conservative friends of course -- and so I don't relate it to sports.
Do I like the Prince's politics? Not at all. But then again a lot of people don't like my politics. And I like the horse.

:)

Tom
06-09-2002, 05:40 PM
andicap,
I would have been just as upset if Bill Clinton were in the winner's circle :rolleyes:

Whitehos
06-09-2002, 05:46 PM
WHAT THE HELL HAS POLITICS GOT TO DO WITH TERRIORISM/
Whitehos

ranchwest
06-09-2002, 08:21 PM
What do politics or terrorism have to do with horse racing? NOT ENOUGH TO MERIT DISCUSSING IN THIS SECTION!

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2002, 09:56 PM
I will remind everyone again, the Prince did not show up at the Belmont. I wonder if I should have taken that as a sign WE wasn't going to win.....hmmmmmm....

Too bad I was informed of this about 1 minute to post of the Belmont Stakes....the lines were way too long to change my bet....LOL

==PA

highnote
06-09-2002, 10:22 PM
I, too, found out the Prince wasn't going to be at the Belmont until the last few minutes. I didn't bet the race, but I said to my wife while we were watching that that was an interesting fact. It seems odd that he wouldn't want to see his horse win the Triple Crown -- unless, of course, he knew WE wasn't going to win. Hmmmm. Sounds like a conspiracy to me. :)

boxcar
06-10-2002, 10:37 AM
andicap wrote:

>>
I for one believe politics and sports don't mix. If it did there are a lot of teams and players I wouldn't root for. And as the house liberal (don't even start Boxcar, I'm not remotely interested in mixing it up here), I'd dislike every football coach in the country.
>>

Andy, no need for you to ever fret. I enjoy deep sea fishing too much to ever develop an interest in dockside fishing for 1/4 lb. porgies.

Boxcar

ernie simons
06-10-2002, 05:24 PM
From what I understand, the sheik wasn't at Belmont because his wife has been trying to serve court papers on him for 6 months.
Nobody can get near the guy. Then the genius who intended to serve the papers proceeded to announce to the world, he intended to do that in the winners circle.
Just some skinny I picked up on the radio.

ranchwest
06-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ernie simons
From what I understand, the sheik wasn't at Belmont because his wife has been trying to serve court papers on him for 6 months.
Nobody can get near the guy. Then the genius who intended to serve the papers proceeded to announce to the world, he intended to do that in the winners circle.
Just some skinny I picked up on the radio.

Knowing why the owner is or is not present can be significant handicapping information. (no, I am not joking) In this case, it looks like it was not significant in relation to the race.

highnote
06-10-2002, 06:42 PM
I didn't know women in Saudi Arabia were allowed to serve their husbands court papers. I suppose they can do whatever they want - it's just the consequences they might have to worry about.

tigers1901
06-16-2002, 12:18 AM
javascript:smilie(':confused:')
confused

The TV coverage mentioned that the Prince's younger brother was present to represent him at Belmont.

tigers1901
07-22-2002, 03:00 PM
http://www.drf2000.com/news/article/39099.html