PDA

View Full Version : Two Great Claims

DrugSalvastore
10-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I don't know if anyone bothered to watch the 500K West Virginia Breeders Classic at Charles Town earlier tonight----but the 1-2 finishers in the race are former dirt cheap claimers. Check this out...

* The winner, Speed Whiz was claimed for $15,000 out a condition claiming race on July 17th (less than 3 months ago) he ran 7th beaten nearly 15 lengths in that claiming race to run his lifetime record to a dreadful 1-for-22.

* The 2nd place finisher, Slew's Smile was claimed for $5,000 on May 19th (less than five months ago.) He ran 5th beaten nearly 10 lengths in that 5K race he was claimed out of.

Both horses were claimed and ran for trainer Bill Campbell. Amazing ass stuff!!

You claim a horse for 15K, he gets crushed, and his lifetime record is 1-for-22, you can't even dream of winning a $500K stake with him two and a half months later---I bet Bill Campbell is thanking the slot machine God's right now. He also owned both of the horses.

The race was restricted to West Virgina Breds---and defending champ A Huevo was a DNF I believe. They showed the race on ESPN News.

takeout
10-09-2005, 01:53 AM
The winner of the 75K 5th race also seems pretty amazing. Claimed out of a 7500-nw1in6 last out on 9/15.

DrugSalvastore
10-09-2005, 03:25 AM
The winner of the 75K 5th race also seems pretty amazing. Claimed out of a 7500-nw1in6 last out on 9/15.

Yea....BUT, he was claimed out of that race by trainer David Wells!!!

Hasn't anyone ever told you how clutch David Wells is on the "big days"??

It's a good thing Tony Graffanino wasn't around to screw that one up!

Oh, I kid the Red Sox...they like to fall behind 3-to-0 in playoff series action, but I think someone forget to tell them, that this time, it's a best of five series and not a best of seven!

Seriously, you are right! The horse you are talking about that won the 5th race is Spindini....he was 4th beaten 10 lengths in a $7,500 claiming race last time out, and his record for the year was 7-0-0-1 with $6,125 in earnings. He did seem like a very unlikely candidate to capture a $75,000 stake in his next start......but he was....first time David Wells!!

DerbyTrail
10-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Here's a "coulda been" claim...

Look at Bank Audit's record... She's in the Gallant Bloom today.. WASN'T claimed, but has won $300,000+ since being available at AQU last November for $35,000!

JustRalph
10-09-2005, 02:02 PM
better than that..........

I heard Frank Lyons say on TVG yesterday that Singletary cost 4k? :eek:

WOW!

DerbyTrail
10-09-2005, 03:30 PM
better than that....I heard Frank Lyons say on TVG yesterday that Singletary cost 4k? :eek:

WOW!

Ralph..

He was actually just $3,200 at the KEE sale that year.. Hell.. the stud fee for Sultry Song was $5K!!

jotb
10-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't know if anyone bothered to watch the 500K West Virginia Breeders Classic at Charles Town earlier tonight----but the 1-2 finishers in the race are former dirt cheap claimers. Check this out...

* The winner, Speed Whiz was claimed for $15,000 out a condition claiming race on July 17th (less than 3 months ago) he ran 7th beaten nearly 15 lengths in that claiming race to run his lifetime record to a dreadful 1-for-22.

* The 2nd place finisher, Slew's Smile was claimed for $5,000 on May 19th (less than five months ago.) He ran 5th beaten nearly 10 lengths in that 5K race he was claimed out of.

Both horses were claimed and ran for trainer Bill Campbell. Amazing ass stuff!!

You claim a horse for 15K, he gets crushed, and his lifetime record is 1-for-22, you can't even dream of winning a $500K stake with him two and a half months later---I bet Bill Campbell is thanking the slot machine God's right now. He also owned both of the horses.

The race was restricted to West Virgina Breds---and defending champ A Huevo was a DNF I believe. They showed the race on ESPN News.

Hello

Absolutely the both claims turned out great for this owner tainer. You should have seen the expression on his face after the race. He was shocked. Only in West Virginia can you look at a guy that wins a 500k stake standing in the winners circle that looked like the hotwalker instead of owner trainer. He certainly was not dressed for the occasion but he did a fantastic job and that's what counts. Can you imagine how the trainer feels after losing that horse for 15k. At least he was the breeder (Casey) which in turn made him a few dollars but that has to hurt. Campbell made a good choice by going into the 500k because both of those horses were crossed nominated for the 75k earlier in the card. Then again if A Huevo was right, I guess the race would have shaped up much differently. That horse A Huevo should never had started that race and 99-100 it was the owner that pushed Dickerson into that race. The horse had only 1 other start on that off-going and was scratched many times in the past when the track was off because of his ailments. Rumor has it that A Huevo was put down after the race off the track.

Joe

Valuist
10-10-2005, 11:34 AM
How about this one: Lord of the Game claimed out of a M10000 race last New Years Eve and this year he is a possible starter in the BC Classic.