PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite "comment"?

Donnie
10-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Years ago I used to pay special attention to horses who in their last race comment line, the chart caller used the word "faltered". Many of these horses seemed to be dismissed by the public, going off at good odds, and running very respectable races on the return.

I was wondering if there are any pet comment phrases anyone is near and dear to?

twindouble
10-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Years ago I used to pay special attention to horses who in their last race comment line, the chart caller used the word "faltered". Many of these horses seemed to be dismissed by the public, going off at good odds, and running very respectable races on the return.

I was wondering if there are any pet comment phrases anyone is near and dear to?

NO COMMENT. :D Including trip handicapping in your arsenal is a better way to go. Today, you can validate any comment made in the form but that depends on the extent of your libary or access to replays. Youbet offers those last race replays plus.

Overlay
10-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Check the following previous thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22115&highlight=chart+comments

twindouble
10-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Check the following previous thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22115&highlight=chart+comments

Ok I went there, now tell us how to use those figures in any given race. Why wouldn't any handicapper have more confidence in what he sees over someone else? For example, a horse can stumble out of the gate and lose 3 or 4 legnths where as another could stumble and lose 10, don't matter what the stats are.

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 03:07 PM
several people tried to tell the rest JUST THAT.......

Overlay
10-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Ok I went there, now tell us how to use those figures in any given race. Why wouldn't any handicapper have more confidence in what he sees over someone else? For example, a horse can stumble out of the gate and lose 3 or 4 legnths where as another could stumble and lose 10, don't matter what the stats are.

It seems to me that unless the handicapper has personally watched and taken notes on every horse that is racing, or has read the complete chart comments for all their previous races (which is becoming increasingly difficult to do with nationwide simulcasting), there will always be a certain amount of value in the abbreviated comment included with each past performance line. Most of the comments noted had impact values very near 1.00, which would make them neutral from a handicapping standpoint. Comments worth a closer look with regard to horses to possibly watch (in a positive sense), or avoid (in a negative sense) in today's race, would be those which displayed the highest or lowest impact values according to the statistics given. I'm not saying that you would make a horse an automatic wager based solely on a comment (especially a second-hand comment where you had not watched the race personally). However, since the comments used by the Form are fairly standardized, the appearance of one with a high or low impact value might be one more piece of the puzzle that you would want to take into consideration as a plus or minus factor in deciding whether to bet or not bet a particular horse, or whether or not the horse was offering betting value in light of its odds today.

twindouble
10-07-2005, 03:26 PM
It seems to me that unless the handicapper has personally watched and taken notes on every horse that is racing, or has read the complete chart comments for all their previous races (which is becoming increasingly difficult to do with nationwide simulcasting), there will always be a certain amount of value in the abbreviated comment included with each past performance line. Most of the comments noted had impact values very near 1.00, which would make them neutral from a handicapping standpoint. Comments worth a closer look with regard to horses to possibly watch (in a positive sense), or avoid (in a negative sense) in today's race, would be those which displayed the highest or lowest impact values according to the statistics given. I'm not saying that you would make a horse an automatic wager based solely on a comment (especially a second-hand comment where you had not watched the race personally). However, since the comments used by the Form are fairly standardized, the appearance of one with a high or low impact value might be one more piece of the puzzle that you would want to take into consideration as a plus or minus factor in deciding whether to bet or not bet a particular horse, or whether or not the horse was offering betting value in light of its odds today.

Understood. We all have to evaluate any factor as how much weight we should put on it, that's why we call it handicapping. Comments to me are down the list of important factors, like weight and I agree the amount of time we put into handicapping can vary from day to day so sometimes it is at a glance.

Thanks,

T.D.

Fastracehorse
10-07-2005, 04:01 PM
"savaged foe"

fffastt

Tom
10-07-2005, 07:48 PM
"Jumped alligator" :eek:

DJofSD
10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Honey, do you have fries with that shake?

<rim shot>

DJofSD

karlskorner
10-07-2005, 08:20 PM
CRC either 72/73. First turn, Bob Savage was the announcer, heard it, but couldin'r see it for the hedge. Everglades were low and the gators were moving eAst, Miami U. had 2 on campus couple months back. Gator took a large dog from a canal couple blocks from home 2 weeks ago. The best yet, Miami Herald ran 2 days of pictures, 20 foot Phyton swollowed a 10 foot gator, the gators rear legs ripped the head off the Phyton. Like I said "it's a jungle out there"

songofthesword
10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
me personally, I can't bring myself to bet on a horse that I haven't seen run with my own two eyes.

Tom
10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
When I visited the Kennedy Space Center, I was amazed to see gators walking down he sidewalks in areas away from the buildings.

Leepin' Lizzards, Daddy Warbucks....what a Croc! :eek:

blind squirrel
10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
strangled by SANTOS.

keilan
10-07-2005, 09:09 PM
strangled by SANTOS.

Very funny :lol: :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
10-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Lost Rider and Vanned Off, if the same jockey next out; Scratched, if raced back within 1 week.
Came On Again.
Evenly, if an inside post next out.

NoDayJob
10-07-2005, 11:24 PM
:jump: "You have just won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes prize of $10,000,000.00." :jump:

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

BetHorses!
10-08-2005, 02:10 AM
:jump: "You have just won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes prize of $10,000,000.00." :jump:

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

How come you never see Ed go into an apartment building with that prize? :rolleyes:

NoDayJob
10-08-2005, 12:53 PM
How come you never see Ed go into an apartment building with that prize? :rolleyes:

:D All of his camera crew are claustrophobic, and Ed was mugged in an apartment hallway. :D

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

rokitman
10-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Santosed by Strangles.

BeatTheChalk
10-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Number One All Time was " Cant fault all recent " LOL .. Sweep in the old
old days. Then we have " look who's riding." Followed by " Gets acid test
today." :bang:

Rockford
10-08-2005, 09:40 PM
My favorite comment line is simply "empty". It says so much, with such economy.

Empty

Geekyguy
10-10-2005, 11:03 AM
My two favorite:

1. "When asked" or "when roused." Horses who do this usually have great tactical speed and are in top form, literally "deciding" when to take over a race.

2. "Too late" (or sometimes "good finish"), which indicates that the horse left several Beyer points on the track, to be claimed next out when the jockey gets the horse going in time.