PDA

View Full Version : 2 Black Eyes For NYRA

xfile
10-06-2005, 04:00 AM
NYRA clerk accused of punching tickets for himself

A New York Racing Association mutuel clerk has been accused of punching $30,000 worth of tickets for himself while working at Belmont Park on October 1.

NYRA President Charles Hayward said the clerk was a temporary employee who was taken into custody, the Associated Press reported. The case was reported to the New York state Racing and Wagering Board, which declined to identify the clerk. State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer has convicted nearly two dozen NYRA clerks on a variety of charges, including a tax evasion scheme and money laundering, the AP reported. On Thursday, NYRA assistant clerk of scales Braulio Baeza is scheduled to be arraigned on charges. Baeza and clerk of scales Mario Sclafani are accused of falsely reporting the weight of jockeys. Scalfani pleaded innocent.

BillW
10-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't understand why this is a black eye for NYRA. When I was working, if my employer found someone doing something illegal or against company policy and took action against them it was seen as a positive. :confused:

xfile
10-06-2005, 01:06 PM
NYRA clerk accused of punching tickets for himself

A New York Racing Association mutuel clerk has been accused of punching $30,000 worth of tickets for himself while working at Belmont Park on October 1.

NYRA President Charles Hayward said the clerk was a temporary employee who was taken into custody, the Associated Press reported. The case was reported to the New York state Racing and Wagering Board, which declined to identify the clerk. State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer has convicted nearly two dozen NYRA clerks on a variety of charges, including a tax evasion scheme and money laundering, the AP reported. On Thursday, NYRA assistant clerk of scales Braulio Baeza is scheduled to be arraigned on charges. Baeza and clerk of scales Mario Sclafani are accused of falsely reporting the weight of jockeys. Scalfani pleaded innocent.

Over the last few years every time there's a scandal in horse racing it's usually NYRA. Remember the dozen or so people who were busted for money laundering at NYRA not too long ago? Well apprarently they didn't get them all.

Suff
10-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Over the last few years every time there's a scandal in horse racing it's usually NYRA. Remember the dozen or so people who were busted for money laundering at NYRA not too long ago? Well apprarently they didn't get them all.

Hold your horse's. Stop making ridicolous statements that "every time" there is a scandal its NYRA.

Not only is that not true, but NYRA has had a Federal Monitor who's job has been to dislcose NYRA's problems. If not for that, NYRA would rank way down on the list of Headlines.

The teller you refer to as "they did'nt get them all" was a new employee, and as a matter of fact was still on Temporary status. So slow down a bit on the NYRA BASH.

Plus... this little item was posted yesterday in the NYRA thread already going.

andicap
10-06-2005, 01:12 PM
How did the Racing & Wagering Board find out? Did NYRA report it?
Seems the only thing NYRA MIGHT be guilty of is failing to do proper background check on the temporary worker. But it's possible even if NYRA did so, the person was clean.
That to me is the key question -- how well does NYRA vet its clerks, even temporary ones?
As someone who has hired people before, sometimes you can check all the references in the world but the employee still turns out to be a bum.

TheRipper
10-06-2005, 01:37 PM
"Ladies and gentlemen, if you will open your Thursday NYRA simulcast programs, and turn to the sixth race at Finger Lakes -- oh wait a minute, they left the sixth race out of the program!!!" :lol: :lol:

Quality control at its finest, courtesy of NYRA and their new partner, DAILY RACING FORM (Charlie Hayward's old stomping grounds).

saratoga guy
10-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Over the last few years every time there's a scandal in horse racing it's usually NYRA.

This, to me, is a perfect example of how well the campaign against NYRA by the powers in Albany is working. There are racing fans that follow racing news closely, who are critical and discerning of the news -- and they know better.

But there are also casual fans -- and this isn't a knock on them, some fans have only a certain level of interest and other things to concentrate on rather than following racing news closely -- and those fans see these stories about NYRA come out and just buy into the negative press. NYRA = scandal.

But xfile, think about it for a minute... The Breeders' Cup P6 scandal -- which could be the biggest scam perpetrated on horse racing ever, was not NYRA. In fact a NYRA employee is credited with uncovering it.

Sweet Catomine being surreptitiously vanned off a SoCal track while identified as a pony, had nothing to do with NYRA.

Jeff Mullins was not racing in NY when he was sanctioned for "milkshakes".

Articles that I've read about the recent "weight scale" controversy at NYRA have cited at least three other tracks that have dealt with similar problems.

It's not "only NYRA". It's not even "usually NYRA". It just seems that way because the PR machine out of Albany is working overtime.

xfile
10-06-2005, 03:07 PM
This, to me, is a perfect example of how well the campaign against NYRA by the powers in Albany is working. There are racing fans that follow racing news closely, who are critical and discerning of the news -- and they know better.

But there are also casual fans -- and this isn't a knock on them, some fans have only a certain level of interest and other things to concentrate on rather than following racing news closely -- and those fans see these stories about NYRA come out and just buy into the negative press. NYRA = scandal.

But xfile, think about it for a minute... The Breeders' Cup P6 scandal -- which could be the biggest scam perpetrated on horse racing ever, was not NYRA. In fact a NYRA employee is credited with uncovering it.

Sweet Catomine being surreptitiously vanned off a SoCal track while identified as a pony, had nothing to do with NYRA.

Jeff Mullins was not racing in NY when he was sanctioned for "milkshakes".

Articles that I've read about the recent "weight scale" controversy at NYRA have cited at least three other tracks that have dealt with similar problems.

It's not "only NYRA". It's not even "usually NYRA". It just seems that way because the PR machine out of Albany is working overtime.

Don't get me wrong. I have been a fan of NYRA for decades. It is the best racing in the country. I just get a bit disapointed every time they make negative news. It's bad for horse racing. I know some trainers are milkshaking at other tracks. That has been going on for a very long time. I can't stand to read negative news. I'm sure you understand. I want this industry to attract alot of new blood so that my overlays will be even higher...lol :cool: Forgive me, please, if I stepped on anyone's toes. :faint:

Suff
10-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Don't get me wrong. I have been a fan of NYRA for decades. It is the best racing in the country. I just get a bit disapointed every time they make negative news. It's bad for horse racing. I know some trainers are milkshaking at other tracks. That has been going on for a very long time. I can't stand to read negative news. I'm sure you understand. I want this industry to attract alot of new blood so that my overlays will be even higher...lol :cool: Forgive me, please, if I stepped on anyone's toes. :faint:

I was just blasting out an opinion. As I often do.. I have steal toe'd shoes so no worry by me. The board works when people make a point or a case and STATE it. I have no issue with people's views on all things horse racing. That's what we're here for.

fouroneone
10-06-2005, 04:43 PM
$30,000 in tickets?

Did he at least hit?

Oh wait, its a nyra track, probably not..... :bang:

Tom
10-06-2005, 06:35 PM
"Ladies and gentlemen, if you will open your Thursday NYRA simulcast programs, and turn to the sixth race at Finger Lakes -- oh wait a minute, they left the sixth race out of the program!!!" :lol: :lol:

Quality control at its finest, courtesy of NYRA and their new partner, DAILY RACING FORM (Charlie Hayward's old stomping grounds).

Who's to say leaving out the 6th wasn't a GOOD thing?!:D

CryingForTheHorses
10-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Dont understand why you guys want to blame NYRA,Geeze he had a clean background!!! The ticket puncher must have had this planned before he was hired as he was new!, He was hoping to make a score and hope it went unnoticed, Only thing is he got caught...This can happen anywhere,It just too bad it happened in NY.Just adds fuel to the fire.