PDA

View Full Version : MLB playoffs.

Suff
10-04-2005, 06:59 PM
New thread for the playoffs. I'll start.

Ouch.

headhawg
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Great day to be a White Sox fan. I knew they could pitch, but if they hit like this for the rest of the playoffs you're looking at the champs. Remember, this is supposed to be a "small ball" team. Hell, Podsednik hit a dinger. :jump:

Suff
10-04-2005, 08:14 PM
. Hell, Podsednik hit a dinger. :jump:

Good for him, But a curtain call?!@!!!!! How amateurish. Even if he hadn't ( and he hadn't), act like you've been there before.

Curtain calls from a guy with one home run in 163 games, in game one of a best of five, will be cause for the Rsox to make it personal.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Bunch of us very happy in Chicago today, but tomorrow is another day. Can never count the Red Sox out. This city has seen big playoff wins in Game 1, but this town has seen some sad, sudden shifts in the playoffs. Chicago has seen some tragically silly things like the Cubs/Bartman Foul Ball, a Leon Durham grounder between the legs, etc. will happen. Yes, those happened to the Cubs. Just glad the White Sox played great and advanced this year. (No gamblers sneaking around the team with suitcases of money, please!)

OTM Al
10-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Oh Lord, why do you hate me so and subject me to McCarver twice in one week? Why can't McCarver do Red Sox games, for they are current WS champs. Indeed, why can't McCarver do Cardinals games, for they are current WS runners up? Curse you Steve Carlton for making this man your mouthpiece and giving him introduction to broadcasting. Oh McCarver, I hate you so.

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Well Suff, a tale of two cities in game one for Yankees / Red Sox post-season play.

Very solid game by the Yankees....always nice to take game 1 away....

I still hold to my prediction that there will be no rematch this year in the ALCS.

Suff
10-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Well Suff, a tale of two cities in game one for Yankees / Red Sox post-season play.

Very solid game by the Yankees....always nice to take game 1 away....

I still hold to my prediction that there will be no rematch this year in the ALCS.

<Numerous swear words and personal insults deleted>

46zilzal
10-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Rivera's stats as a closer are just astuounding

lsbets
10-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Pa - the Yankees will play the Sox in the ALCS, but there is a real good chance it will be the White Sox! :D

Valuist
10-05-2005, 09:29 AM
0 HRs in 500 plus regular season ABs,
1 HR in 1 post season game

priceless

kenwoodallpromos
10-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Another ex-Giant on to better things!

Steve 'StatMan'
10-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Wow! 2-0 Lead White Sox! Will be exciting in Boston - Best Home Record vs. Best Road Record. The Red Sox didn't give up last year, nor tonight, so gotta keep bringing it 'til it's over.

46zilzal
10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
well the Sox came back from the dead last year so it might be another version of that.....would make it interesting to see the Yanks play them again, or the Angels

Suff
10-06-2005, 03:57 PM
My Arch Enemies from NY are torturing me. They're twisting the screws. Inflicting unspeakable pain . I must have victory soon.

toetoe
10-06-2005, 08:57 PM
OK, OTM Al, you must choose one in every one of these match races. Your life depends upon it.

McCarver or Tony Kubek.

Ron Fairly or Lindsay Nelson.

Steve Lyons or Don Sutton.

Steve Physioc or Joe Angel.

Tom Tolbert or Zippy The Pinhead (they dress the same).

'Ace' Piesen or Fred Edelstein.

Joe Garagiola or Sparky Anderson.

Harry Caray or Mike Battaglia. OOH, that's tough. Sorry.

OTM Al
10-07-2005, 09:34 AM
I don't remember some of these guys though I know I should, but here goes....

1.Kubek....you could have at least made this difficult for me by running him against Brent Musberger

2. Don't know Fairly, so will have to go with Nelson, despite his Notre Dame connections

3. Don Sutton. I always loved those Braves games on TBS, especially when the Braves would be getting slaughtered and the guys in the both would strike up a conversation on who they thought would win the wrestling matches coming on after the game.

4. Not familiar with either of these guys

5. Zippy the Pinhead...he's an American original

6. Again don't know these guys

7. Joe G.....but only for the dog show!

8. Today's best pick....Harry Caray. This is no freakin contest. Harry ruled! I grew up watching this guy, first with the White Sox and then with the Cubs. Yeah, so he was always drunk past the 5th inning. Yeah, he loved to ogle the women in the crowd. This guy just plain loved the game and loved the fans. His last act on earth was standing up to shake a fan's hand one night when he had taken his wife out to dinner (it was either her birthday or their anniversary, I don't remember which).

Got to say one of the best broadcasters I've ever heard was Bob Uecker doing Brewers games on the radio. Seems like guys that do radio for an extended time learn what to say rather than just babbling endlessly.

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 05:49 PM
woops, the WRONG team hit that...4-2 in the 6th there in Boston...pitching change but then I can't understand how anyone can hit the knuckle when it is thrown right ... take a seat Wakefield

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 06:01 PM
3rd pitcher THIS INNING? My

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
dodged a bullet...good catch by the right fielder

Steve 'StatMan'
10-07-2005, 06:46 PM
OH WOW! Thought he walked Damon with the bases loaded. Fooled me. Fooled Damon more, and that's all that matters. Phewww!

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 07:21 PM
never recall El Duque being so over-powering for so long.

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Gutsy call White Sox get another one and ONE out

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Renteria was the LAST out when St. Louis LOST to the Red Sox last year

"Turn out the lights, the party's over"

lsbets
10-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Well Suff, in a few weeks you can call the Red Sox the former World Champions.

Suff
10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Well Suff, in a few weeks you can call the Red Sox the former World Champions.

You didn't hear the Good News?

Hockey's Back!

Steve 'StatMan'
10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
It takes a darn good Sox team (White) to beat a darn good Sox team (Red).

White Sox are on a roll. Knew they were back when the swept the Indians in Cleveland. For Cleveland (the 'hot team' of September), those games essentially were the playoffs, while the Sox had already clinched division and home field advantage.

Gotta keep going through the World Series. Time To Change Sox!

falconridge
10-07-2005, 08:34 PM
OK, OTM Al, you must choose one in every one of these match races. Your life depends upon it.
McCarver or Tony Kubek.
Ron Fairly or Lindsay Nelson.
Steve Lyons or Don Sutton.
Steve Physioc or Joe Angel.
Tom Tolbert or Zippy The Pinhead (they dress the same).
'Ace' Piesen or Fred Edelstein.
Joe Garagiola or Sparky Anderson.
Harry Caray or Mike Battaglia. OOH, that's tough. Sorry.
Okay, I know I'm not invited, but I'll crash this party anyway. At least I don't risk straying too far off-topic.

1) McCarver. That's supposed to be hard? At least McCarver once imparted some knowledge that proved, in bizarre and unbelievable way, useful. [After Cub pitcher Shawn Boskie had clubbed a double off the ivy in left-center, Timmy offered: "You look up 'bosky' in the dictionary and it says 'wooded.' And that's just what Shawn Boskie did to that last pitch; he wooded it." Yeah, right, says I. 'Nough o' this noise. So I switched off the sound and picked up my Ross MacDonald mystery. Wouldn't you know, the first sentence I read was "Atherton is a small, upscale, bosky community about 30 miles south of San Francisco." Spooky.]

2) Ooh! Or as the late Joe E. Ross might have said, "Ooh! Ooh!" Not much there, but Fairly gets my reluctant nod just because he didn't wear those idiot sports jackets.

3) Sutton. Drop those pants, Psycho, and get what's comin' to ya! [Cue banjo duet from Deliverance].

4) Easy: Physioc. Not a great announcer, not a good one, not even on the right side of mediocre, but I'll always have a soft spot for Steve Ph. My reason? It was such a relief when he supplanted/replaced/succeeded/superseded/sent packing one of the creepiest of all time: the obscenely obnoxious/effete/oleaginous/overbearing/ovine Gary Park.

5) Excuse me?

6) Who? Wha'? (Get the motorman's number).

7) Baldchuckler vs. Capt. Hook. I'd prefer the mumps. Okay, Anderson; at least with Sparky I can catch a little shuteye.

8) [Caray: "Mike Battaglia spelled backwards is Ekim Ailgattab." "Haray Caray" backwards is Neknurd Gnireddod Elicembi. Not to mention Desaeced.] I'll take the Battboy; at least the agony's over faster (linger though it may). Uncle!

46zilzal
10-07-2005, 08:51 PM
five to zip..not going well for East coasters today

headhawg
10-07-2005, 09:16 PM
You can put it on the board....Yesssss!!!!

Last year: Their Sox. This year: Our Sox. :jump:

falconridge
10-07-2005, 09:41 PM
You can put it on the board....Yesssss!!!!

Last year: Their Sox. This year: Our Sox. :jump:
My mom's Sox, too.

From that keystone sack in the sky, Nellie Fox, notwithstanding the cheek-distending chaw of Beechnut, smiles beatifically. And from another spot in the Go-Go Sox' celestial batting order, Ted Kluszewski's triceps ripple with pride.

Congats to the Southsiders on their early wynn! :eek::jump:

PaceAdvantage
10-08-2005, 01:16 AM
What a crummy game....but, we live to play at least one more day (lots and lots of rain in the forecast....I don't know how they're going to get Saturday's game in, but I'm amazed they got tonight's game in.....)

Anyone know why Rivera wasn't used in the 8th inning? 9-7 in the top of the 8th, and Rivera isn't in there? What the hell is Torre saving him for?

Maybe I missed from the ESPN crew why he wasn't in, but I do remember them saying earlier in the game that Torre would be able to user Rivera for more than one inning tonight....

cj
10-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Since the Orioles didn't make post season play yet again, this is about all I can hope for, a sweep of the Red Sawx, and maybe soon to be no Yankees. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Mussina win a ring, I could live with a Yankees win. I'd be physically ill if I had to deal with another Red Sox win. I'm projecting the next Series victory for Boston to be in 2091.

Suff
10-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Since the Orioles didn't make post season play yet again, this is about all I can hope for, a sweep of the Red Sawx, .

Thats going right in the Computer!~ Archived. ;)

cj
10-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, it is very painful to see the once great, proud franchise of the Orioles be completely ruined by Angelos. The WORST thing that ever happened to the fans of this team was moving to the new, white collar friendly, Camden Yards. The owner made a ton of money selling out every game, with no real need to put a decent team on the field. They were run for a while more like a fantasy baseball team than a real one. It pains me every day of my existence, I'm numb to baseball. Never thought I'd see the day where the only pleasure I could get was rooting against rivals. Sad, sad story. That's enough, I need a tissue...

Suff
10-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm a little torn..

I'd like to see White Sox fans get the pleasure I got when we won it after 86 years.

At the same time... I'd like to see the Trophy stay in the AL East as a statement of where the best Baseball is played.

Bubbles
10-08-2005, 05:46 PM
As a baseball fan impervious to the madhouse known as the AL East, I'd just like to say one thing...

GO ANGELS!

JustRalph
10-08-2005, 06:41 PM
If the Angels win it again..........Soscia will be set for life. He will have a managers job for the next 25 years..............amazing..........when he was a player.........I never thought he stood out at all...........

kenwoodallpromos
10-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Why do they let the helmets get so crummy looking?
I'll take SD and the Black Sox!

OTM Al
10-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Today I have seen the best in baseball, 18 inning classic with Houston moving on to face the Cardinals. Now I must endure the worst in baseball. Yes, Tim McCarver. At least if the Yanks pull it out it won't hurt quite so bad......

toetoe
10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Some would find your rant pathetic and incessant, but oh, how I agree. With the rant, not the charge of patheticity(?).

OTM Al
10-09-2005, 09:28 PM
He's just that annoying isn't he. That season where he was a Yankees broadcaster scarred me. And it wasn't like you wanted to switch on the radio to listen either cause Sterling and Kay make me want to puke as well.

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2005, 11:36 PM
OTM AL,

It didn't hurt so bad, it didn't hurt so bad!!!!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

lsbets
10-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Think about the guys who have been there for this run the Yankees have had. They've been in the postseason every year since 1995. Derek Jeter came up and played 8 games in Spetember of 95 (I'm not sure if he was on the post season roster or not). He has been in the playoffs every year he's been in the majors. Bernie's been on the team since what ? 90 or 91? I can't remember if Posada came up before 96, but I know he was on the team in 96, and so was Rivera.

Yeah, A-Rod, Sheffield and Giambi hit a lot more HRs than those guys, but the guys who are the heart and soul of this team have been there the whole time. It'll be a shame to see Bernie go, I just hope he gets another World Series ring. You have to figure Posada doesn't have a lot left in the tank, and eventually either Rivera's arm will give out or they'll figure out how to hit the one pitch that he throws. Not to mention Torre has been the manager since 96, and if someone said he would be the manager for 10 years when he was hired, no one would have believed it.

Why does any of that matter? Who do you think expects to win tomorrow, and who do you think hopes to win? When the pressure is on, attitude matters, and I'm willing to bet the Yankees expect to win Game 5.

OTM Al
10-10-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm pretty sure they will hit Colon much better than they did Byrd or Lackey. The question as always though is what kind of pitching will they get. I expect a close one again, whether a lot of runs are scored by both teams or few.

Valuist
10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Whoever does win will be in a world of hurt for Game 1 of the ALCS. Talk about brutal travel.

OTM Al
10-10-2005, 04:39 PM
%$#%%&&&!!!!!!!!!! The game is on Fox again!!!!!!! Don't they have some crummy reality show they would be better off running and let sombody else broadcast this game???? I know HE is going to be doing the game again. I hate him so much. :(

Steve 'StatMan'
10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
You could mute the sound on your TV, and get the play-by-play on the radio. Somewhat popular to do in Chicago, esp. to get the home-town crew's audio.

Bubbles
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Colon's hurting...this is bad, this is bad. Who is this Urban kid?

46zilzal
10-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Inflammed right shoulder....Strange that this would not have been picked up before the game.

Suff
10-10-2005, 10:11 PM
5 spot on Mussina. Most of them cheap. 2 out Triple was a smash. Fielders choice RBI and a infield dribbler RBI for the cushion.

In the Playoff's all your weak spots get highlighted. Giambi cannot play First base. He made the identical mistake playing Boston two weeks ago. Like a replay..identical. Coming home when there is NO play at home.

Yanks need a rally or the ALCS is all west of the Mississipi, and I gotta stay up to 1 or 2 in the morning watching Baseball....

betchatoo
10-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Yanks need a rally or the ALCS is all west of the Mississipi, and I gotta stay up to 1 or 2 in the morning watching Baseball....

Don't think it will make you feel any better, but Chicago is east of the Mississippi

lsbets
10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Its too bad they don't count postseason performance when they vote for MVP, because that would automatically disqualify A-Rod. Has the guy had one big hit when it matters since he signed his $250 million contract?

Bubbles
10-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Ervin, Urban, what's the difference, really? Kid got out of a few not-so-fun jams, he can pitch. Unfortuantely, I don't like LA's chances against Chicago. Not a lot of bullpen depth in those first two games. If the Sox don't take this chance and jump on them in Games 1 and 2, I'll be very surprised.

OTM Al
10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
I will say I think the 2 best all around teams won in the AL. The Yankees and Boston both showed their glaring pitching deficiencies in their series. I'm not one who is going to repeat the Pitching and defense mantra, cause you got to be able to score off the other guy too, but bad pitching certainly will lose championships. All said, the Yanks did nearly steal one. Johnson was a couple games late with his A game, but at least he kept them in it. Major plays of the game

1. Crosby-Sheffield collision. The ball was in that perfect spot where all 3 arrived together. Maybe Bernie out there would have avoided that and maybe not. No discredit for hustle, but this was a big turning point.

2. Cano interference call. Hard to say what may have happened, but they had the pitcher on the ropes. IMO a very bad call by the umpire. Cano's right foot was hitting the baseline with every stride which means that part of his body was in the box, which is what is required. I can understand that call when they are running on the infield grass, but Cano was not.

3. 0-fers. The heart of the order had plenty of chances and just didn't drive anyone in. Got to have hitting with weak pitching, and the Yanks did not.

Valuist
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
If you're the White Sox, wouldn't it be tempting to push Contreras back to game 2? You know you're getting a dog tired Anaheim team; why use up your hottest starter in a game you should easily win?

Trijack
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
QTM

But don't forget when his foot hit the bag it was on the inside of the first base line. Of course being an Angel fan I agree with the call. Don't forget it is better to be lucky than good in these close games and yesterday we had most of the luck but we all know how luck can leave one.More so on betting the horses.

OTM Al
10-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Valuist-

I hear what you are saying, but I think I would just go for the kill. Contreras is ready. Use him and put the opposition down. Bird in the hand logic here.

Suff
10-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I thought it was a marginal call. But I have theory. Bear with me.

Yankee's said we were cursed right? They tortured us with Bill Buckner error's at first base. Where have the Yankees World Series hopes gone the tubes the last two years? FIRST BASE. A-Rod on the interference call last year, and then this First base call last night.

Its a new Curse. The FIRST BASE CURSE!......:lol:

Suff
10-11-2005, 02:46 PM
QTM

But don't forget when his foot hit the bag it was on the inside of the first base line. Of course being an Angel fan I agree with the call. Don't forget it is better to be lucky than good in these close games and yesterday we had most of the luck but we all know how luck can leave one.More so on betting the horses.

Good luck to your Angels Jack!

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2005, 04:30 PM
2. Cano interference call. Hard to say what may have happened, but they had the pitcher on the ropes. IMO a very bad call by the umpire. Cano's right foot was hitting the baseline with every stride which means that part of his body was in the box, which is what is required. I can understand that call when they are running on the infield grass, but Cano was not.

Yeah really, what the hell was up with THAT call? Total bunch of BS in my opinion....really bad call in a game of that magnitude....

BUT, the Yankees blew it big time...they choked, they came up short, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. They had so many chances this series, and they rarely capitalized on any of them.

A-Rod tucked it away at the worst possible time....good thing he's still young.

Oh well....another year without a World Championship...whatever will I do?

Here's hoping the Angels win it all....it always stings less when you lose to the best team...LOL

Trijack
10-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Suff

Thanks. I rooted for your team last year in the World Series. Lets hope I am rooting for the winning team this year.

PA

That was a hard loss to take. I know how you feel. We will have to continue on having good luck with our pitching staff in bad shape.

Jack

lsbets
10-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I thought that was a horrible call, but you can't blame losing on one call. Plus, the Yankees have benefitted from a couple of horrible calls in the postseason - the worst being the Jeter homerun against Blatimore, but if I remember correctly, there was also a double play against Boston in 2000 where whoever was supposed to step on second was about 3 zip codes away from the bag and the umpire ruled he stepped on the bag. Bad calls are a part of the game and considering how quickly the plays can happen and how close some of them are, its really surprising there aren't more of them.

toetoe
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Many weird calls. One that didn't lead to anything, though don't forget that any time you get one guy deeper through the order, it can be huge: the 'safe' call at first when AR snagged a line shot, stumbled, looked at second, and lobbed to first. Another bad one: Cano received a throw at second for the force play, hopped out of harm's way, and the ump called 'safe.'

I thought Erstad proved he's an outfielder. No real first baseman would stand anywhere but the inside of the bag, straddling toward second base, giving a nice left-handed target to the catcher/thrower. So he contributed to the chaos. No fun to root for the bad guys to screw up, but when they do, an umpire bailout is just wrong. I think the umps can't believe how badly the fundamentals are played, sometimes, and they figure it was the fault of some cheater... mmmaybe?

Bubbles
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Exactly, you can't blame losing on one call. When a team gets to face a new, inexperienced pitcher in the 2nd inning of a huge game, and responds by leaving a starting lineup for a football team on base, it doesn't deserve to win. Not to mention that Moose already used up his one good game of the playoff series in Game 1...;)

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2005, 02:32 AM
Careful bubs....you may actually get me to root against your beloved Angels with that kind of "bash them when they are down" attitude....:D