PDA

View Full Version : Californian Jockey Suspended for influence of alcohol

Rockingham
10-03-2005, 05:47 PM
http://www2.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3082189
Oak Tree at Santa Anita
Tyler Baze fails breathalyzer at Hoosier
By JAY PRIVMAN
ARCADIA, Calif. - Jockey Tyler Baze failed a breathalyzer test on Saturday night at Hoosier Park and has been suspended for seven days, according to Gary Wilfert, a steward at Hoosier Park.

Valuist
10-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I think half the riders at many tracks would flunk that. Testing every day and a .05 is a violation there.

JustRalph
10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
as small as the guy is, he could probably go over .05 with 3 beers or so. Or a double mixed drink

Ron
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
as small as the guy is, he could probably go over .05 with 3 beers or so. Or a double mixed drink

Try one beer.

jack300s
10-03-2005, 09:46 PM
To lose 62 races in a row at the Delmar meet with the type of mounts he was getting. Thats a little more than a eating disorder his agent was claiming. Somethings going on? Baze became the perfect throw out at Delmar.

"Hey, I only had a Bloody Mary and a Beer on the Airplane". Ah, make that a triple and a big Foster's.........

Steve 'StatMan'
10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
If riders are flipping, they probably not going to have a lot of food in their stomachs when they drink, so they might get intoxicated faster. Of course, those guys are pretty darn tough and I'm sure a lot of them can hold their liquor. But going out even partially lit to race ride? Seriously bad idea. Drink later, fine, but definitely not within several hours before race time. Well, now he has plenty of time to sleep this week.

Buddha
10-04-2005, 12:58 AM
I think they started some testing at MNR recently, or at least once they did. The only way to curb the practice, would be to have testing every day, which would get tiresome i am sure, but the only way to keep them from drinking before riding.

Glad to see that at the very least, Hoosier is doing it daily to keep them from drinking and riding. It is amazing how many go to the bar at MNR after they are done riding. And they will drink what htey want, and then complain about trying to make weight. Do they realize the calories they are drinking in the beer? Not that it is a lot, but more than they need, and drinking sure as hell aint going to help their riding.

Zaf
10-04-2005, 08:38 AM
I thought it was only the Harness guys who drove drunk :rolleyes:

ZAFONIC

classhandicapper
10-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I think it's a really bad idea to drink and ride horses, but I didn't find this as strange or out of line as some other people. Racing at Hoosier was at night. I don't think it's an unrealistic assumption to think he had small dinner before the races and maybe had 1 or 2 drinks too many. Normally these guys ride during the daytime and do any eating afterwards. He wasn't familiar with the Indiana testing rules etc... and may have just made an error in judgement. When he starts showing up drunk for afternoon racing it's time for a treatment program.

JustRalph
10-04-2005, 09:34 AM
I think it's a really bad idea to drink and ride horses, but I didn't find this as strange or out of line as some other people. Racing at Hoosier was at night. I don't think it's an unrealistic assumption to think he had small dinner before the races and maybe had 1 or 2 drinks too many. Normally these guys ride during the daytime and do any eating afterwards. He wasn't familiar with the Indiana testing rules etc... and may have just made an error in judgement. When he starts showing up drunk for afternoon racing it's time for a treatment program.

you are assuming that he eats dinner

TOOZ
10-04-2005, 09:37 AM
This incident proved one thing, jockeys do matter. They put Prescott on South Africa and a stone cold closer vied for the lead. I'm sure the trainer was extatic with that ride.

Suff
10-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Half of Wall Street is managing your retirement fund while stiff on something or other.

How come we never test guys in suits?

To dig a ditch on a federal construction job you gotta pee in a cup.

Do you think they are peeing in cups on K Street?....;)

JustRalph
10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Half of Wall Street is managing your retirement fund while stiff on something or other.

How come we never test guys in suits?

To dig a ditch on a federal construction job you gotta pee in a cup.

Do you think they are peeing in cups on K Street?....;)

Great post!!!!

Rockingham
10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Who ever came up with OSA is the worst person on the planet.

Macdiarmadillo
10-05-2005, 05:44 AM
OSA = On-track Slug of Alcohol? Bad idea for jocks, good idea for bettors.

toetoe
10-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Mac,

One Smarmy Attitude. This spoken in hyperorgasmic Tom Durkin mode. Stauffer-style enclitic (YYYYESSSS!) optional.