PDA

View Full Version : A profile of Ronnie Earl

betchatoo
10-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Piece in the Washington Post on the prosecutor who indited Delay

AUSTIN -- Ronnie Earle, the Texas prosecutor vilified by Rep. Tom DeLay as a "rogue district attorney" and an "unabashed partisan zealot," has heard worse.

There was the time, for instance, that a prominent Texas Democrat vowed to murder him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/01/AR2005100101471.html?sub=AR

ljb
10-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Click on the link, very interesting story, with some good material. Thanks bet.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
If he's guilty, lock him up.....NEXT.

Suff
10-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Grand Jury indicted Delay about a half an hour ago on another charge,

This time....Money Laundering
Can we say... "thanks for coming" . "See the monkey at the door for your hat and coat"

schweitz
10-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Grand Jury indicted Delay about a half an hour ago on another charge,

This time....Money Laundering
Can we say... "thanks for coming" . "See the monkey at the door for your hat and coat"

So thats it---he's guilty?

JustRalph
10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
the money launder will probably be easier to prove :D

I notice a seperate gr. jury did this one? Kind of odd from what I have usually seen. almost like the prosecutor was taking a whack with two different bats and hoping to get one base knock. Sure enough.........he got a double.......

Hey LS, that sandwich is now a double with Swiss and mayo!

Suff
10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
So thats it---he's guilty?

Technically yes... he is.

Grand Jury's return Guilty or Innocent verdict just like regular Jury's.

The threshold of guilt is dropped from "Beyond a reasonable doubt' to "Probability a crime was committed"..

They hear sworn testimony, view evidence approved by a judge, and either decide for or against the Government.

Delay does not have certain rights of Juris Prudence such as the ability to tesftify in his own defense, call witness's on his behalf, or cross examine the Govt witness's. That takes place at his criminal trial.

However to address your question if he was found guilty or not... he was found guilty by the grand jury.

Next time you see a black guy being handcffed by the Police on the TV show COPS, or you see a mexican handcuffed in the back of Police car in traffic.... I'd like you to turn to your companion and say.... "He's Innocent"

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Next time you see a black guy being handcffed by the Police on the TV show COPS, or you see a mexican handcuffed in the back of Police car in traffic.... I'd like you to turn to your companion and say.... "He's Innocent"

That's the beauty of the American Justice System. We don't have to say he's innocent, we KNOW that he is, until proven otherwise.

And for those out there who like to think ''if he's in police custody, he must be guilty'', well then, the beauty of the system prevails again. Doesn't matter what someone thinks, he's STILL innocent until proven guilty in a court of law by a judge or jury.

Sure the system isn't perfect, but it is beautiful.

schweitz
10-03-2005, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Su

.[/QUOTE]

I can assure you that everyone that is indicted by a grand jury does not get convicted---as for your black guy I assume nothing one way or the other---thats what the courts are for. I don't know whether Delay is guilty or not---but he is innocent until proven otherwise whether you think or want otherwise.

Suff
10-03-2005, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=Su

---but he is innocent until proven otherwise whether you think or want otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I don't care for Tom Delay because he implied retribution against Judges who handed down decisions in the Schiavo case. It is extremely irresponsible and negligent for a man in his position to speak in such a manner.

Eric Rudolph and other mentally fragile individuals respond violently to that rhetoric. Tom Delay endangers our Democracy and the peaceful resolution of our differences.

I don't find him particularly vulgar for his political antics in the US house or the Texas legislature. He is unoriginal. His Gerrymandering is copycat. It's named for Governor El Gerry of Massachusetts. He invented it, and the Kennedy's perfected it. Dirty politics were the Kennedy's trademark. The Kennedy's in their Hey-Day, would eat Tom Delay for breakfast..

so.cal.fan
10-03-2005, 10:52 PM
A good friend of mine in Texas, who follows Texas politics closely, told me that both these guys, Delay and Earle are not the kind of people who should be in public office and/or positions of power.
From what I have been reading, I have to think my friend is correct.

Kreed
10-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Face it squarely. We need Fresh Faces & New Approaches, And a More
compassionate world-view (not a Stupid one, just more reasoned). okay,
DeLay is 100% guilty, but so are so many others. So ergo, he's gotta work in a soup kitchen, 40 hrs a week, for the next 3 years, no pardon.
I'd be satisfied with that. That spares him lots of ordeals. But it makes a
point too.

PaceAdvantage
10-03-2005, 11:16 PM
okay,
DeLay is 100% guilty, but so are so many others.

Well, la di da to you too Mr. Buddhist.

Kreed
10-03-2005, 11:39 PM
La Di Da ... how melodic, better served with Rigatoni, Extra sauce. Gravy?
well, can anyone really imagine that DeLay is innocent, of anything? ummm,
he played hard ball & well he got slammed. Now its NOT of epic dimensions,
but he's gotta pay the penalty. A lot of people have been dis-Enfranchised,
and DeLay is well off by comparison. But please, lets not draw blood here.
Just punishment that suits the misdeeds. I say community service. Maybe
he could do the makeup of Drag Queens at some fashion show? JK. I can
see Tommy the Hammer now, getting that mascara stick honed?

Tom
10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Suff said-
"Next time you see a black guy being handcffed by the Police on the TV show COPS, or you see a mexican handcuffed in the back of Police car in traffic.... I'd like you to turn to your companion and say.... "He's Innocent" "

Duh. When I watch COPS, I know he is guilty because he did it ON CAMERA :bang:

Actually, I was on a jury once and we let a black guy go in spite of all white witnesses against this unemployeed guy on welfare. We all agreed the cop was lying. Contrary to popular belief, all conservatives are not racists and actually look for the real truth, not the convenient truth.

BTW....I hung two white guys over the years. One just because he gave us "the look" when a black witness testified, the other for thinking we were stupid enough to believe his story.

A third white guy, we decided to let him go because it was the Monday night that the NFL strike ended and we all wnated to go watch the first real game in a while. The poor sap changed his plea to guilty during dinner, so we got out early anyway. I had to tell him on the way out...:lol:

schweitz
10-16-2005, 05:56 PM
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3397339