PDA

View Full Version : BOREGGO!

xfile
10-02-2005, 05:52 AM
He looked fantastic in the JCGC. He's must be at least 2nd favorite for the Classic now. He was in hand the last furlong and pratically on an easy gallop the last sixteenth. Amazing. :cool:

dav4463
10-03-2005, 12:11 AM
An awesome late run ! Not a bad price for a top last out Beyer horse either. With all the speed in the race, it set up nice for the late run.

fastCow
10-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Borrego ran away from a good field. His jockey, Garrett Gomez is in a zone. He won an earlier stakes on a longshot that day and came back to win at Santa Anita the next day again. And this has been going on for awhile.

Bruddah
10-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Garrett Gomez has learned to ride come from behind horses. He used to be able to ride front runners only. He could never measure the wire, on a come from behind horse. He always ran place or show. Sometimes first, if the front runners fell down. Good to see him mature as a rider.
:D

garyoz
10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
It's great when horses look so impressive in winning--just like Belamy Road in the Wood Memorial earlier this year. Jump on board all you "trip" handicappers, the more the merrier.

plainolebill
10-03-2005, 05:34 PM
I almost never take into account 'geared down', 'easily', etc. but I can't remember the last time I've seen a horse win like that in a big race. Gomez all but pulled him up. I think he could have shaved at least a full second off the final time.

fastCow
10-03-2005, 11:14 PM
GoGo Gomez is perfecting this explosive move. He rates his horse patiently, then coming into the stretch he gets this awesome acceleration and just blows by the field. His race with Borrego was one of several that I have seen lately. Usually he gets first over on the front runners. A real advantage over the other closers.

Kreed
10-03-2005, 11:18 PM
so GG is a less annoying frustrating disappointing Pat Day? I agree that
Garrett is A+.

cj
10-04-2005, 03:07 AM
I almost never take into account 'geared down', 'easily', etc. but I can't remember the last time I've seen a horse win like that in a big race. Gomez all but pulled him up. I think he could have shaved at least a full second off the final time.

St. Liam won this same way just a couple weeks ago. I seriously doubt he could have run a second faster, but we'll never really know. One full second is an eternity in this game.

Think about this, count 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2...you've just seen the difference between Lost In The Fog and a 10k claimer over 3/4s of a mile.

Valuist
10-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Anybody know what the Beyer was for Borrego? All I can say is the brakes were on. The T-Graph and Sheets folks always tell us that horses couldn't have won by more if they were ridden harder. I don't think anybody really knows, and its probably different with each different horse. But make no mistake about it, Borrego had the brakes on for at least an 1/8th of a mile.

With Day retired, I think the best at this move is Ramon Dominguez. He'll win races by a neck or 1/2 length with the horse under a hold.

classhandicapper
10-04-2005, 10:01 AM
I think it's hard to quantify these things.

St Liam wasn't geared down, but he wasn't asked for his best. You could visually see he could do more. How much I don't know becaus he was never asked, but I think I would rate him off his better figures and not that one.

Borrego was actually geared down at one point, but it was already late in the race so how much faster could he have run over that last 1/8. (maybe 1/5 or 2/5???)

Charlie Judge
10-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Borrego was dancing on all four feet as he walked up the ramp from the walking ring into the tunnel to the track. I rarely see horses looking as good as Borrego did on Saturday at Belmont.

I was very impressed visually with him, and his performance validated the visual impression.

caj

Valuist
10-04-2005, 10:35 AM
That's solid info. I think he will definitely be worth watching in the paddock on BC day. Coming off the two big races he could be a bounce candidate but a good appearance could make the bounce talk irrelevant.

I think both Borrego and Saint Liam could've improved their times by possibly a full second. They were not ridden out. Both qualify as "easily" and any other note by the trackman would be incorrect.

fouroneone
10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
It's great when horses look so impressive in winning--just like Belamy Road in the Wood Memorial earlier this year. Jump on board all you "trip" handicappers, the more the merrier.

Exactly!!!!!!!

xfile
10-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Bellamy Road left his talent at the Wood Memorial. Borrego could have won the Gold Cup by 15 if he was ridden to the wire. Castellano road Bellamy until 10ft before the wire. Borrego galloped the last 1/8th.

ezpace
10-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Steve Nolan brought Gomez to the bushes with his buG***Agent Nolan about every year told me how good his Jock was he brought up to AkSARBEN from the SW usa and to come out an watch him work horses and drink coffee in the morning. typical agent BS!!! YEAH YEAH Nolan I heard your crap for to long.

Any way , i go out one morning((freee coffee ;) )) and watch him before the meet starts.Garret is geting on horses the French eat :) and working them .
I couldn't believe what i saw.. These old tanks would absolutely explode when he asked them to run down the lane.UNbelievable almost.
He has that touch. that horses TRUST HIM,, even ole plugs.. HE led the meets at AK.. Oak...HAW, AP etc. etc.
That touch he has is reflected in what happens when he gets on a horse 1st 2nd time IMPROVEMENT.. thee Shoe ,,PINCAY ..Cordero,McCarron, DAY,,my main man EDDIE D,,PVAL, GUIDRY
and FEW FEW other riders have/had this... I seen Garret win so many horses off the pace even as a BUG*** i still shake my head about his/and others mentioned talents .. I bet a LOT OF TRIs' these gifted ones are most generally ALWAYS included in them especially if they haven't rode the horse before. call me biased GOMEZ,PVAL,GUIDRY..

and now he gets on the best horses .. not taking anything away from BORREGO or that hardboot trainer who trains for an aquaintance(capper) i know..

now i've dropped the price another buck with my bigggg frickin mouth ;)

dav4463
10-04-2005, 11:28 PM
A lot of people slam the Beyers, but here was a top last race Beyer horse that fit the running style, had a capable jockey/trainer combo and paid well. If you pick your spots, last race Beyer tops can be solid plays.