10-01-2005, 11:25 AM
http://www.calracing.com/pincay.php?PHPSESSID=b18935978c745a62ff3a406494686 3e6

Tom
10-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Great Christmas gift.

PM me for my mailing address! :D

ezpace
10-02-2005, 01:34 AM
you don't want the case of y2k vintage banannas i snagged for ya??

46zilzal
10-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Inaugral Oak Tree I saw what would be repeated hundreds of time when this rider seemed to actually WILL horses to the wire. NOT ANOTHER LIKE HIM and always versus the best.

ezpace
10-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Inaugral Oak Tree I saw what would be repeated hundreds of time when this rider seemed to actually WILL horses to the wire. NOT ANOTHER LIKE HIM and always versus the best.

Had the pleasure to shake his hand at SA one day... Also never forget the look on his face when Hollywood Park gave him that Porsche in recognition for ALL THOSE WINS.. ..fighting his weight for everyone.. DISCIPLINE personified!!!

46zilzal
10-02-2005, 03:49 PM
on a website dedicated to his accomplishments, they recorded that he broke his collarbone something like 6 times.

Remember once he came to Los Alamitos to ride quarter horses for a charity race full of T-bred jocks and gave credit to those riders. Recall his comment: "How the heck do you stay on them when they break that fast?"

I have a great shot of him (from the NYRA phtographer) after the rode Affirmed over Bid in the Jockey Club Gold Cup. Both he and Barrera signed it for me. I approached Barrera and asked if he wouldn't mind signing a photo of one of his "better horses." He looked back, laughed and while signing it said "I'll take a barn full of that kind of competitor." BOTH of them nice fellows and a credit to the sport.

plainolebill
10-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I just wanted to point out that Pincay's career was all but over and the only guy who kept him afloat until it turned around again was Bill Spawr. Hats off to Mr. Wm Spawr.

Hosshead
10-06-2005, 09:15 PM
I used to stand at the wire at Santa Anita and watch Laffit the Magician do this optical illusion thing, (before Siegfried & Roy), when it looked like he was beaten until the last jump, where (I swear) he would pick the horse's body up, and set his nose down, on the wire - for the win.

He always got everything a horse could give, Without the whip.
Then finally, if he had to,- he'd go to the whip. (man could he go to the whip!)
Therefore if another jockey was moving up on Laffit, and Laffit hadn't gone to the whip yet, --- the other jock was in trouble.

Likewise, if Laffit was riding "your" horse, and he had to go to the whip on the turn/top of the stretch, you knew "your" horse was in trouble.

Dan Smith, (a real nice guy) who used to be on the board of directors at Santa Anita/Del Mar, said that "Laffit had this ability to know EXACTLY how much Gas was Left in the Tank".

Also, I was always amazed at how he Didn't look around (like a lot of jocks do), at the other horses/jockeys during a race. He had eyes in the back of his head! And his eyes (on the front of his head) were intensely focused On The Wire ! I think it was because he was so "at one" with the horse, that he always knew what the horse was giving him. So it didn't matter what everybody else was doing.

What everybody else was doing, was......trying to beat Laffit !!

keilan
10-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Good post Hoss, enjoyed that :)

plainolebill - yeah I recall that period as well, Spraw hasn't been the same without Pincay

46zilzal
10-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I used to stand at the wire at Santa Anita and watch Laffit the Magician do this optical illusion thing, (before Siegfried & Roy), when it looked like he was beaten until the last jump, where (I swear) he would pick the horse's body up, and set his nose down, on the wire - for the win.
what you described is EXACTLY the scenario when Skywalker won the S.A. Derby..he willed him to the wire

plainolebill
10-07-2005, 12:28 AM
keilan, Smith and Douglas will never fill Pincay's boots.

Lefty
10-07-2005, 01:50 AM
46, Pincay broke his collarbone at least 10 times. When he got the lead near the wire he would not let the horse quit. Your description of "willed them to the wire." is apt.