PDA

View Full Version : Interesting column for seniors on medicare

ljb
09-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Tonight in the Saginaw News there is a column by Jan Warner and Jan Collins. I don’t know anything about these two, just happened to read the column as it is titled “Politics impacts those least able to fight back”.
The column starts with a letter from a reader. She is a divorced woman who is disabled. She moved in with her parents who are in their early 80s. They also have medical problems, he dementia, she osteoporosis. The lady complains that with the increased gas costs, medical expenses and increased property taxes, they are having to dip into their meager savings each month to make ends meet.
Some of the things the columnists responded with include: “You and your parents are the easiest marks for politicians because you can’t afford lobbyists to promote your causes and you don’t scream loud enough. While Social Security payments have risen each year by law based on cost of living increases, Medicare part B premiums and deductibles have more then eaten up those increases.
Because Congress has raided Social Security trust coffers and has blown the money “off budget”, everyone is now in a fire-drill mentality to get enough money to pay Social Security obligations.
Congress and the Bush administration are willing to extract trillions from revenues by cutting or eliminating the estate tax for fewer then 1 percent of Americans.
The government obviously can’t manage its programs. For example, although Medicare fraud is running rampant, Congress has reduced the number of investigators and auditors in this area, stifling the ability to recover fraudulent payments made to health care providers. At the same time, Congress continues to raise Medicare premiums, reduce benefits and increase co-insurance payments.
As to “why Congress keeps picking on the elderly,” the answer is because they can.”
End quote.
They then go on to recommend we all call our senators and representatives both state and federal and let them know you may not have much else but you do have a vote.

Dave Schwartz
09-30-2005, 10:24 PM
But there you go again, as if it is just a Republican problem.

This, as all other problems, are symptoms of the them and us disease. After all, Congressmen have their own retirement plan, don't they? Or is it just the Republicans who voted that raise a few years back?

Dave Schwartz

lsbets
09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Congressional raises are a funny thing - the party in power always votes for them and the party out of power always votes against them and screams about it. Either way, Congress always gets their raises, no matter who is in charge.

NoDayJob
09-30-2005, 10:58 PM
"When the public is allowed to vote it's own largesse, the treasury will soon be empty." It should be when the public and the Congress are allowed to vote their own largesse..." :D I'd like to be able to set my own odds whenever my selection wins. Woooooooweeeeeeeee! :D

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

ljb
09-30-2005, 11:17 PM
But there you go again, as if it is just a Republican problem.

This, as all other problems, are symptoms of the them and us disease. After all, Congressmen have their own retirement plan, don't they? Or is it just the Republicans who voted that raise a few years back?

Dave Schwartz
First, This is a column written by others. The statement about the congress and Bush administration eliminating estate taxes does point at
Republicans, they are after all running the show. Now make note you are supposed to contact your senate and congress folks, does not say just contact the republicans.
I am not trying to put blame` on any party here I am just trying to point out what I thought was an interesting point of view. I got an email a while back suggesting congressmen should all be put on social security and their retirement program eliminated. This will fix social security fast.

ljb
09-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Congressional raises are a funny thing - the party in power always votes for them and the party out of power always votes against them and screams about it. Either way, Congress always gets their raises, no matter who is in charge.
I don't recall the column saying anything about congressional raises.

lsbets
09-30-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't recall the column saying anything about congressional raises.

Did you read Dave's whole reply? He mentioned the raise a few years ago. That was what I replied to.

Tom
10-01-2005, 10:45 AM

Good cop/Bad cop routine.
Anyone of those outraged ever REFUSE to accept the extra money?
Congressional raise should be voted on by the electorate.
As should thier benefits.

ljb
10-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Gentlemen,
This column is not about congressional raises. It has to do with the plight of seniors on Medicare. I guess that includes most everyone over 65.