PDA

View Full Version : Equibase PDF charts

GameTheory
09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
The new charts are up. The don't have restrictions codes in the conditions anymore, e.g. NW2 L. Please drop them a line and tell them to put this very important piece of information back as none of the other chart makers include it either. The old format Equibase ones always did, however...

Fatl
09-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Try your chartget, it still works, even got todays first race chart from Delware downloaded in html.

Of course don't know how long this will last.

xfile
09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Try your chartget, it still works, even got todays first race chart from Delware downloaded in html.

Of course don't know how long this will last.

There's a very inexpensive program available at
http://www.thebeatlesforever.com/processtext/abcpdf.html
that converts pdf to html among other filies. ABC Amber PDF Converter
ABC Amber PDF Converter is a powerful tool which allows you to convert PDF to any document format (HTML, CHM, RTF, HLP, TXT, DOC, DBF, XML, CSV, XLS, MDB, DB, MCW, WPS, SAM, RFT, WS4, WS7, WRI, etc.) easily and quickly. You can export all pages or just selected pages, as plain text or as preview pictures. Important note: Adobe Acrobat doesn't need to be installed (that saves your money). Partial Features List: reads PDF files (doesn't require Adobe Acrobat to be installed) and extracts text to HTML, CHM, RTF (MS Word doesn't need to be installed), DOC (Word 6.0/95/97-2003), HLP, DBF, XML, CSV, XLS (MS Excel), MDB (MS Access), DB (Paradox), TXT (ANSI and Unicode), WRI (Windows Write 3.0/3.1), WPD (WordPerfect 5.0/5.1 for DOS/5.x for Win/5.1-5.2 secondary, 5.0 secondary, WordPerfect 4.1/4.2), MCW (Word for Macintosh 4.0-5.1), WPS (Works 4.0 for Windows, Works 2000, Works for Windows 3.0), DOC (Word 2.x for Windows, Word 3.x-5.x for MS-DOS, Word 6.0 for MS-DOS), SAM (Ami Pro 3.0), WSD (WordStar 4.0/7.0), RFT (IBM's RFT-DCA);

QuarterCrack
09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I noticed the exact same thing and promptly wrote an email to their feedback address asking them to please fix it, if at all possible.
They responded quickly that they intend to get the claiming conditions information back into the charts soon.

It's good to see someone else caught this - I knew I couldn't have been the only one.

On the whole, I like the new .pdf charts - the additions are very good IMO.

GameTheory
09-28-2005, 05:09 PM
They have the full name of the jockey instead of just initials, that's nice. They compressed the capsule version of the comment but didn't eliminate it -- I'm neutral on that. They have the track record for the distance on every chart. Not sure that's necessary, but ok...

QuarterCrack
09-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I use the Chart Plus charts and they have more features than the free charts: they include split times between fractions, as well as an additional section that shows beaten lengths like they are shown in PPs (where the beaten lengths at each call reflect lengths back from the leader, not from the previous horse). This helps me a lot because for what i do with them, I currently have to take the time to add the lengths for horses a few positions off the leaders. That's the best feature to me. Also, they list the last race date, track, and race number, like the DRF .pdf chart does. They also include the Equibase speed figure for each horse, too. I don't use it, but it's a nice touch, I guess.

Plus, just in general, I think it is a very easy to read format.

Tom
09-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I downloaded a free demo today for a program the converts almost any file into almost any other. So far, PDF to txt or htm worked fine. Htm to text worked really well.

Got a 30 day trial, and it is $30 to buy.
I'll give it a full test tomorrow and report back.

cnollfan
09-29-2005, 01:46 AM
The new charts are up. The don't have restrictions codes in the conditions anymore, e.g. NW2 L. Please drop them a line and tell them to put this very important piece of information back as none of the other chart makers include it either. The old format Equibase ones always did, however...

I did drop them a line, thanks for the heads-up.

Brisnet result charts include the restrictive conditions at the top.

Que
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I sent Equibase an email too; hopefully they will correct the omission of the race conditions soon. However, more importantly, is anyone having problems downloading the equibase pdf charts. I can download the free charts, but everytime I try to download the Charts Plus version using my subscription nothing happens. I've tried turning off my pop-up blocker, but its still preventing me from downloading any charts. I can't even paste the URL into the address bar with getting an invalid entry. This isn't a problem exclusively with Equibase, since I have this same problem with other sites, i.e. the YouBet Wager Pad, etc., so I'm sure it has to do with my current computer settings/configuration. Please don't suggest turning off the pop-up blocker, since I've tried that many times already. (I once knew someone that had a similiar problem, and he said that the computer fix-it shop had to erase his entire hard drive to correct it--which seems a bit drastic to me.) I currently use Windows XP SP2, so if anyone has experienced and corrected a similiar problem, then your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Que.

SmartArt
09-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Try using Firefox as your browser and see what happens.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Tom
09-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Hehehe. EB not too good at making changes, are they?

Typical incompetence of this industry.

do all the EB employees show up for work in the same small car? :D

NoDayJob
09-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Hehehe. EB not too good at making changes, are they?

Typical incompetence of this industry.

do all the EB employees show up for work in the same small car? :D

:D No, but I assure you, they all wear Ronald MacDonald gear. :D

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

takeout
09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
as well as an additional section that shows beaten lengths like they are shown in PPs (where the beaten lengths at each call reflect lengths back from the leader, not from the previous horse).
I like that also but I wonder why they didn’t list the horses in the “Past Performance Running Line Preview” box in the same order that they finished in the chart?

linrom1
09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
I downloaded a free demo today for a program the converts almost any file into almost any other. So far, PDF to txt or htm worked fine. Htm to text worked really well.

Got a 30 day trial, and it is $30 to buy.
I'll give it a full test tomorrow and report back.

You mean it can convert EQ PDF files to html. What program is it?

Tom
09-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Linrom,

I haven't tried it on the EB yet, but other PDF worked fine.
Unfortunatley, our entire network crashed today and I could not access anything at work. (Up side is I got out at noon and got to play today!)

Hopefully, they will have it back up tomorrow and I can get to it. I don't remeber the name ofit, but it looked really useful for more than even racing stuff.
I'll post the link Friday.

cnollfan
09-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Check out the way the new equibase chart format bollixed up today's fourth race at Santa Anita (Thurs. 9/29). What a clusterintercourse.

QuarterCrack
09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Just noticed that the charts now have the claiming conditions! Cool!

GameTheory
09-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Just noticed that the charts now have the claiming conditions! Cool!Some were still missing, like state-breds (that didn't have other conditions) were not noted. I told them -- hopefully they'll fix that tomorrow...

highnote
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
The chart plus charts have the horses running lines as they will appear in the next past performances. If you could put that in a database then you wouldn't need pps, right? But since you can't extract the data what is the purpose of this information?

Is this useful to anyone? Any ideas?

Hosshead
09-29-2005, 11:30 PM
I just looked at the SA chart for the 29th - says "Claiming", but no claiming price.

highnote
09-29-2005, 11:42 PM
POST TIME DAILY SUBSCRIPTION PRICES ( I lifted this from their website)

Subscription Products
· Comma Delimited Chart Files subscriptions cost $75.00 per month. This price includes access to all comma delimited charts for the current date and the prior 15 days.

The subscription fee is not included in calculating volume discounts.

Any comma delimited charts downloaded from the archive area are not included in the subscription price and will be billed at 75 cents per race card at one track. Volume discounts will apply in this case.

· Comma Delimited Result File subscriptions cost $50.00 per month. This price includes access to all comma delimited charts for the current date and the prior 15 days. The subscription fee is not included in calculating volume discounts.

Any comma delimited results downloaded from the archive area are not included in the subscription price and will be billed at 50 cents per race card at one track. Volume discounts will apply in this case.

Que
09-30-2005, 07:10 AM
My thanks to SmartArt for the recommendation on the FireFox internet browser... I tried the program and it works great. I can now download the Equibase charts using my Charts Plus subscription. I was even able to order another product from a different company over the internet using Firefox that IE wouldn't allow me to before. Unfortunately, YouBet doesn't support the FireFox browser at this time--so life is never too easy.

Regarding Equibase, I think the service they have provided recently has been commendable. Within a day they corrected the problem with the missing race conditions--to include updating all their previous charts. Equibase's customer service department has also been very responsive to my emails despite the fact that they were undergoing a major revision to their product at the same time. However, I did recommend that they include the maximum claiming price in their charts as before, but I expect that they will correct this ommission soon. I certainly don't believe that they intentionally omitted any of this information, and that it was merely an oversight. I'll also believe that the free information that Equibase provides is a great service to horseplayer. I know that I wouldn't be as interested in horseracing if it wasn't for some of the information that Equibase provides.

Que.

GameTheory
09-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Their charts never had the "race" claiming price, only the claiming price of each horse. Usually the same, of course...

Que
09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Hmmm... I think you might be right. After checking, I can't find the claiming price of the race in their previous charts either; however as you mentioned, Equibase does list the horse's individual claiming prices. Oh well... maybe they will add the claiming price to the race conditions anyway.

Tom
09-30-2005, 01:51 PM
You mean it can convert EQ PDF files to html. What program is it?

Here is the link.

http://www.eprintdriver.com/

I have found some PDF charts that open but are not 100% readable, like PDF past performances for example....full of symbols.

It's free, so try it and decide for yourself - there are some things it works on that I can use, but I think racing might not be amoung them.

Tom

DJofSD
09-30-2005, 06:12 PM
I've looked at a small number of programs that claim to be able to convert PDF to TEXT (rich and plain), and/or HTML, and/or MS_WORD. So far I've not found one that would allow me to write a simple program to further process the pace line data.

It seems like they all have problems with superscripts. Yes, they get converted to a graphic symbol. It also appears the conversion is consistent too, so, if you are willing to accept the challenge, you should be able to build a table/if-then-else/case statement program to further translate it.

OTOH, maybe I just haven't found the right program (yet).

Has anybody found a program to convert PDF files (past performance or results chart) that can handle the running position/beaten length format and convert it into something that is not so much gobbly-gook?

DJofSD

cj
09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
These files are also password protected, so you'll have to get something that gets around that as well.

NoDayJob
09-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I've been saving chart and result files in text format using either Netscape or Mozilla FireFox. There's some html code that's needs clean up, but that's no big deal. Anyone else??

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

highnote
09-30-2005, 10:16 PM
I've been saving chart and result files in text format using either Netscape or Mozilla FireFox. There's some html code that's needs clean up, but that's no big deal. Anyone else??

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

I haven't tried that. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy posttimedaily charts for $75/mo.

NoDayJob
09-30-2005, 10:38 PM
I haven't tried that. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy posttimedaily charts for $75/mo.

If you do that, talk to Doug Manley and see if you can get a better deal if you subscribe for a year. Can't hurt.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

NoDayJob
09-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Using Netscape or Mozilla Foxfire sans final parse---

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

highnote
10-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Here is an interesting bit from the bottom of the Equibase quick results:

Proprietary to and © 2005 Equibase Company LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The Terms of Use for this web site prohibit the use of any robot, spider, scraper or any other automated means to access the contents of this site.
The Terms of Use also expressly prohibit the republication or dissemination of the contents of this screen
without the prior written consent of Equibase Company LLC.

I can hear them now.... "There... that'll keep the bastards out." :D

BillW
10-01-2005, 01:28 AM

Their basic licence agreement has always required mandatory hiri kiri after reading any of their data. the terminology (spider, robot etc) may be new but the message is the same "They'll show ya but they'll hafta kill ya ..." :lol:

Bill

highnote
10-01-2005, 01:36 AM
I took too long editing. I had a lot to say. So some of this is redundant....
--------------------------

Proprietary to and © 2005 Equibase Company LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The Terms of Use for this web site prohibit the use of any robot, spider, scraper or any other automated means to access the contents of this site.
The Terms of Use also expressly prohibit the republication or dissemination of the contents of this screen
without the prior written consent of Equibase Company LLC.

This is just plain silly. This is like a newspaper posting at the bottom of each page that you can't cut out an article and paste it into a scrapbook to look at in the future.

You've probably heard the term "control freak". Equibase's terms are classic examples. Do you know why people sometimes feel the need to control others? Let me tell you. It's because of fear. On some level Equibase (or someone at Equibase or in the industry) is fearful. Question is... what are they afraid of? That bettors may use the information to make a wagering decision? OH MY GOD! Someone browsing the Equibase site may actually use the information on their site to make an informed wagering decision.

You may have read some of my other posts that I wrote about the Attorney General of Connecticut banned residents of Connecticut from betting over the internet. It's OK to place a bet by phone. God forbid if you use the evil internet to place a bet.

Someday maybe the government will just make it illegal to even post information on the internet that people might use to make a bet?

Seriously. I don't know if this is a sport that I want to bet on anymore. Football, baseball, basketball, etc. have found ways to stay in business without taking a piece of the betting handle. Maybe racing should return to its roots -- the sport of kings. It is been doing a steady nose-dive for as long as I've been betting. So many things the industry does seem to increase the steepness of the dive.

With pick6 scandals, jockey weight scandals, illegal drugs, milkshakes, removing horses from the grounds and taking them to hyperbaric chambers in the middle of the night without notifying the public.... etc. etc. etc.

It's tought to beat a fair game -- but a possibly crooked game? (And I use the term possibly, lightly.)

And if this is not enough... the fan -- the bettor -- is treated like a second class citizen. Without bettors to provide handle there is no racetrack. Bettors should be treated like first class citizens.

I can't totally blame the tracks. The bettor has some responsibility, too. There's a saying in psychology, "We teach people how we want to be treated." Obviously, bettors have not done a good job teaching the racing industry how they want to be treated.

I have a simple solution. I just won't bet and I definately won't attend a live race meeting. I will save a ton of money in data costs. :jump:

I realize it is expensive to stage a horse race meeting. But I also think that raw data should not cost as much as it does. Value added information should cost more. The market will decide how much value added data is worth.

For many of us, raw data can be used for developing personal betting systems. People who want value added info can buy it. I don't want to be in the racing information selling business. I just want public domain information about the race. I want to save it on my computer so I can look it up. Or I want to print it out and put it in a file folder for easy reference, etc.

Mostly, if the industry is going to take money from bettors then I want the industry to wake up and start treating bettors like first class citizens.

cj
10-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Using Netscape or Mozilla Foxfire sans final parse---

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

NDJ,

Which charts did you save this way? And how did you do it? I had no luck with Equibase, I'm probably missing a step.

cj
10-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Nevermind, I got it, BRIS right?

Grifter
10-01-2005, 09:23 AM
CJ -- Looks like DRF charts.... could do others the same way, but not the Equibase PDF...

-- Grifter

Tom
10-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Looking at all the charts out there, it looks to me like BRIS comments are the most in-depth. You can select/cut/past right from the html fomat and save in a spreadsheet. Tedious for multiple tracks, but for your main couple, acceptable.

You know, this whole thing is so stupid. I would gladly ( well, not gladly, maybe grudgingly!) pay for the information I need, but nobody will offer it.

C'est live!
There are other fish in the pond.
And they don't all smell bad.

DJofSD
10-01-2005, 11:25 AM
C'est la vie.

Red Knave
10-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Chevrolet coupé

Tom
10-01-2005, 12:29 PM
No, it's LIVE from Saturday Night! :D

DJofSD
10-01-2005, 12:36 PM
"We're from France."

OTM Al
10-01-2005, 12:40 PM
I've gone to using BRIS charts. I have been parsing mine by hand, but I only catalogue east coast tracks, so it doesn't take so much time. Some aspects I have found to be easier to deal with and some harder, but pretty much back in business...

Grifter
10-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Al -- How do you "parse by hand"? Lot of cutting-anp-pasting?

Sound painful.....

-- Grifter