PDA

View Full Version : Another PA'r published by DRF Letter to Editor

Suff
09-26-2005, 08:57 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/68814.html

Internet prohibitions make an overly tangled web

I have closed my BrisBet account. My XpressBet account was closed by order of the attorney general of the state of Connecticut, simply because I am a Connecticut resident and the attorney general says Internet betting on horse races is illegal. Next I will close my Connecticut Off-Track Betting phone account - in protest. I have a couple of other accounts I intend to close, too, because if I don't close them, the state of Connecticut will.

It simply is not worth the hassle to break the law for a game that takes, on average, 17 percent of the money I wager. Sure, my chances of getting fined are small, but it could happen. I'm not a big enough bettor that I will lose my livelihood. If I were a big bettor, I'd move to England, Costa Rica, the islands, or someplace with a more liberal attitude to wagering.

Funny, I can bet on the Internet at Hedgestreet.com for as little as a couple of dollars whether crude oil will close above or below $65 tomorrow, but I can't use the Internet to bet on a horse in the 10th at Mountaineer. John Swetye
Darien, Conn

highnote
09-28-2005, 08:47 AM
DRF edited my letter to the editor. Not much. But what is interesting is that they took out my line "Just another nail in the coffin of racing." (see my actual unedited letter below)

Now read this quote from the latest Steve Crist article. He quotes a New York Daily News editorial. The writer of that letter also used the "nail in the coffin" analogy.

It probably has no significance. But it is ironic. Maybe the "nail in the coffin" analogy is becoming a tired cliché?

The New York Daily News, for example, ran an editorial the day after the indictments were announced that began, "In what should be the final nail in the coffin of the New York Racing Association . . ." and went on to opine that some "riders could lose their right to race in New York. Hopefully, NYRA will meet the same fate."

To whom it may concern:

I closed my BRISBET account. My XpressBet was closed by order of the Attorney General of the State of Connecticut - simply because I am a CT resident and the AG says internet betting on horse races is illegal. Next I will close my ConnecticutOTB phone account -- in protest. I have a couple other accounts I intend to close, too, because if I don't close them, the State of CT will.

It simply is not worth the hassle to break the law for a game that takes, on average, 17% of the money I wager. Sure, my chances of getting fined are small, but it could happen. I'm not a big enough bettor that I will lose my livelihood. If I was a big bettor, I'd move to England, Costa Rica, the Islands or someplace with a more liberal attitude to wagering.

Funny, I can bet on the internet at Hedgestreet.com for as little as a couple dollars whether Crude Oil will close above or below $65 tomorrow, but I can't use the internet to bet on a horse in the 10th at Mountaineer.

Who needs this kind of hassle?

Just another nail in the coffin of racing.

Respectfully,

John Swetye

CC
Attorney General State of Connecticut

PS

If I had known they would actually publish my letter, I would have done a better job. I was pissed off when I wrote it because I had just found out my account at XpressBet was closed. It pays to gather your thoughts.

I just noticed I used poor grammer, too! :D

46zilzal
09-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Great to see your words in print. One night I was visiting my dad (who always writes many such letters) and the 60 Minutes mailbag comes on and while we are chatting, there is one of his letters on the air....Runs in the family I guess

Doc
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I can't understand why DRF would take out your line "just another nail in the coffin of racing." That isn't slanderous or anything...and I thought that DRF had changed its attitude over the years so that it became less a house organ of the industry and more of an independent voice. When I worked at DRF 13 years ago (jeez, I feel old now) its editorial mission was NEVER to offend, criticize or in any way anger the racetracks, Jockey Club, etc. But under Steve Crist I thought it had taken a turn for the better.

Doc

Tom
09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
I just think it is unethical to alter someone's letter to suit your own agenda.

Thumbs down to Stevie and the Wonders! :ThmbDown:

Grifter
09-29-2005, 01:53 AM
Interesting... the letter before swetyejohn's (from Lori Cain) uses the expression "final nail in the coffin." They left that one in..... Maybe the editorial rule is that they won't run the same cliche more than once per letters page.

Maybe if Ms. Cain had said "the penultimate nail in the coffin", then they would have left swetyejohn's "final nail in the coffin" alone.... Or maybe changed it to "ultimate nail in the coffin."

Damn, now that's got me thinking. What is the nail that comes after the "ultimate nail"?

-- Grifter

highnote
09-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Even more interesting is that since yesterday morning one of my phone lines has not been working. I saw a guy from the phone company yesterday morning working at the pole. Since then I can't call in or call out on my land line.

In my letter to the Editor of DRF I complained that the Attorney General of Connecticut was forcing certain companies to close internet betting accounts of Connecticut residents.

I hope it is just a bad coincidence that my phone is still out of service as of Thursday 4:50pm. That's 32 hours! WTF! :mad:

GameTheory
09-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Even more interesting is that since yesterday morning one of my phone lines has not been working. I saw a guy from the phone company yesterday morning working at the pole. Since then I can't call in or call out on my land line.

In my letter to the Editor of DRF I complained that the Attorney General of Connecticut was forcing certain companies to close internet betting accounts of Connecticut residents.

I hope it is just a bad coincidence that my phone is still out of service as of Thursday 4:50pm. That's 32 hours! WTF! :mad:Apparently it takes a while to install the phone tap...

highnote
09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Apparently it takes a while to install the phone tap...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Overlay
09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Maybe if Ms. Cain had said "the penultimate nail in the coffin", then they would have left swetyejohn's "final nail in the coffin" alone.... Or maybe changed it to "ultimate nail in the coffin."

Damn, now that's got me thinking. What is the nail that comes after the "ultimate nail"?

-- Grifter

Being true to the Latin roots and progression, wouldn't it have to be the "post-ultimate nail" (or perhaps the "ultra-ultimate nail")?

falconridge
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
If I had known they would actually publish my letter, I would have done a better job. I was pissed off when I wrote it because I had just found out my account at XpressBet was closed. It pays to gather your thoughts.

I just noticed I used poor grammer, too! :D
I wouldn't fret over stylistic infelicities or solecisms, John; your letter contains none. For my money, your missive's fine--better than most, and much better than it had to be to qualify for that status. As for your having used "poor grammar," frankly, I hadn't noticed any such instance. If I wanted to split hairs (I don't), I might have substituted the subjunctive verb form for the simple indicative in the last sentence of your second paragraph ("If I were a big bettor ... "), but that's a stodgy old construction, and fast passing out of general usage. What's important is that you communicated clearly and forcefully a concern many of us share, and for that we're in your debt.

Appreciatively,

falconridge

highnote
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I might have substituted the subjunctive verb form for the simple indicative in the last sentence of your second paragraph ("If I were a big bettor ...

Falcon,

That's the one I was talking about. You're good. :ThmbUp:

Thanks for the positive words. I have been betting now for about 15 years. In all that time, I don't ever remember being treated very well by the tracks. They have always seemed indifferent.

As far as politicians... Attorney Nelson Rose said it best in a recent article: "It's time gambling was treated like a respectable business instead of something evil that needs to be surrounded with holy water."