using it and is having success with the program. I have been playing Delaware
and Mountaineer but have not been winning with the program. I set the
program on default and use the lowest odds line for my contender. I know
this approach is basic but there must be a better way to handicap with this
program. Would appreciate some help from someone who knows what they
are doing with the program.

acorn54
09-25-2005, 08:00 PM
don't feel too bad. when i tried the computrak demo i couldn't get it to "work" either. the odds line is flaky. bunching the odds for all the horses within a small range makes me suspect their is something not quite right with the program.
acorn

thoroughbred
09-25-2005, 09:50 PM
I have the program computrak and need some help from someone who is
using it and is having success with the program. I have been playing Delaware
and Mountaineer but have not been winning with the program. I set the
program on default and use the lowest odds line for my contender. I know
this approach is basic but there must be a better way to handicap with this
program. Would appreciate some help from someone who knows what they
are doing with the program.

Rebrick99,
Perhaps one way to answer your question is to print here an excerpt from an email we received yesterday:

"I hope you will enjoy my sharing with you a great handicapping experience I had with the tool today. I used no other daily publication data, i.e DRF, etc... just your software. I had downloaded the data for Monmouth. In race 4, I was looking to bet a $1 trifecta box type of exotic, analyzing using all of the available reports. Using the default settings, I sorted the Summary report using the Odds Line, which I consider to be the first step in the basic approach with your tool. The program displayed the selections to be 4, 7, and 1. I also noticed there were two 1st-time starters. I noticed the Form rating for the one of the first-time starts - the 5 horse, was high when compared to the contender selections via the Odds Line sort, so I replaced the 1 horse (3rd selection) and boxed the 4, 5, and 7. The horses finished 7, 5, 4. The trifecta paid $2,685.00, of which I collected half, due to my $1 box bet. The 7 horse paid $79.60, and the exacta paid $454.00.

I think the appropriate engineering term for such a result is
WOW!
Regards and thanks."

Another user told us of a different technique where he reported on 6 days at Saratoga. He bet two horses in each race. One horse was the one with the lowest CompuTrak Odds, the other was chosen form the Best Predicted Finish Time Column, or the Recent Predicted Finish time column, whichever was best. He bet $20 to win on each horse, i.e., $40 in each race. It was the first 6 days at Saratoga and he was excited because his net, after that time was $3166.

Now, of course, such results are clearly not going to happen as often as we would like. But it's the overall long term profits that are important.

Finally, since some have asked, when Brad Free got those results, at Hollywood, that he wrote about it his column in the DRF on July 23rd, his technique was to use the default values and only choose the horse with the lowest CompuTrak odds.

thoroughbred
09-25-2005, 10:03 PM
don't feel too bad. when i tried the computrak demo i couldn't get it to "work" either. the odds line is flaky. bunching the odds for all the horses within a small range makes me suspect their is something not quite right with the program.
acorn

Acorn54,

I know that before you have mentioned your experience with CompuTrak, where you found the oddsline values to be clustered closely together.
I do believe you ran a demo some time ago, i.e., using an older verson before we changed the default values, which have led to the success described in my response above.
Please go to our web site: www.revelationprofits.com and download the latest free, full featured, trial version and check it out again.
And while you should find the odds values nicely separated, most of the time, as I have mentioned before, there will be times when CompuTrak calculates that the horses are closely matched in win probability, in which case, of course, the values of the odds should, properly be close to one another.
Anyway, please do try the latest version.

acorn54
09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
thanks for the offer thoroghbred
i downloaded program and yes the odds seem distributed much more sensibly since i last tried the software. accuracy of new odds line i will check out over the 3 day free trial period-thanks
acorn

acorn54
09-26-2005, 10:56 PM
one suggestion i'd like to make is incorporate the scratch feature into the body of the software. this way some 5-10 years down the line when the website is no longer in existance, an owner of computrak will still be able to get a revised odds line after scratches. i don't like the idea of being dependent on a website as part of a working feature of a software i purchase
acorn

thoroughbred
09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
one suggestion i'd like to make is incorporate the scratch feature into the body of the software. this way some 5-10 years down the line when the website is no longer in existance, an owner of computrak will still be able to get a revised odds line after scratches. i don't like the idea of being dependent on a website as part of a working feature of a software i purchase
acorn

Acorn,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I also see we should have made something clearer relating to the scratch utility. However, it may be that you are already aware of what follows.

The scratch utility is not part of CompuTrak; it's completely independent.
We made it available as a tool for anyone to use regardless of what oddsline they are working with; Morning Line, CompuTrak, their own, etc.

When using CompuTrak, and a horse is scratched, you need only remove that horse from consideration on any output report. All the other horses' output values, except for the odds values of course, do not change when a horse is scratched. That is because all of the calculations performed by the program are performed on the individual horses, based on their pacelines. None of those values change when a horse is scratched, so the rankings of the remaining horses are still valid after a scratch.

Of course, as mentioned, the odds do change, but even here, for the very most part, the rankings for the remaining horses can still be used.

But thanks again; your suggestion is a good one. Perhaps, in a future upgrade we might incorporate a scratch feature in the program itself. In the meantime, the scratch utility is available to obtain the new odds.

banacek
09-26-2005, 11:45 PM
When using CompuTrak, and a horse is scratched, you need only remove that horse from consideration on any output report. All the other horses' output values, except for the odds values of course, do not change when a horse is scratched. That is because all of the calculations performed by the program are performed on the individual horses, based on their pacelines. None of those values change when a horse is scratched, so the rankings of the remaining horses are still valid after a scratch.

That surprises me. I make my own odds line and when there is a scratch, I often have to revise my odds line a lot. For example, if there are 2 early speed horses and one of them is scratched, that would leave a lone speed horse. He'd get a big drop on my odds line. Sometimes I go from no play to prime play.

Even if there were no scratches in a race, if I had a lone early speed horse I want my morning line to reflect that. Or if I had 5 horses zooming for the lead in 21 4/5 I'd want to factor that in. I never have thought of each of the horse's ratings to be independent of each other.

But maybe I make things too complicated? If it works, it works.

acorn54
09-30-2005, 06:27 PM
have been trying computrak
was able to download unlimited tracks for two days and it was impressive.
now i am only able to download one track a day for four days.
i am not confident in computraks abilities with such a small sample of results. don't see why computrak can't come with a 15 day unlimited trial like jcapper and equisim. jeff at jcapper is very confident in his software and is very "loose" about extending beyond the 15-day trial period if the consumer requests it
acorn

garyoz
09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Don't know anything about Computrack, but I do play the Mountain a lot using other software. Mountaineer does not lend itself to a black box or odds line type approach (IMHO). You really have to read between the lines at that track.

You might try a larger track where the horses are more consistent, like Belmont. Also my experience at Delaware (which is limited) is that you have to watch the trainers really closely. Once again, maybe not the best track to try software out on. Just an opinion.

NoDayJob
09-30-2005, 10:48 PM
:D How 'bout a one year free trial? That should be plenty, eh? By that time you'd have paid the $100.00 price or so at least 100 times. Yeah, that's what we want. :D Jeeeeeeezus, it's really inexpensive for an automatic, no thought required, piece of software--- getta life.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

acorn54
09-30-2005, 11:33 PM
the point isn't the cost
why should i buy software that doesn't perform at any price?
acorn

NoDayJob
09-30-2005, 11:53 PM
the point isn't the cost
acorn

:D I think I'll let the software purveyor answer that one. :D

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

thoroughbred
10-01-2005, 12:08 AM
have been trying computrak
was able to download unlimited tracks for two days and it was impressive.
now i am only able to download one track a day for four days.
i am not confident in computraks abilities with such a small sample of results. don't see why computrak can't come with a 15 day unlimited trial like jcapper and equisim. jeff at jcapper is very confident in his software and is very "loose" about extending beyond the 15-day trial period if the consumer requests it
acorn

Acorn,

I'm very pleased that you found CompuTrak impressive during the free unlimited trial time period, (3 days).

We have found that this free trial offer has been well received by the many who have taken advantage of such an offer and have been able to get a good feel for the program since all of the programs features are fully functional.

After all, at absolutely no cost, the user has unlimited use of the software for 3 days where he can use it as many times as he desires for as many tracks as he wants.

And, after the 3 days, the free software is still usable, but limited to two random days per week at any one track of your choice.

And, of course, when a user finds the program impressive, as you have, he can then, if he wishes, purchase a permanent license at no risk because of the no questions asked, 10 day, money back guarantee.

Thanks for trying CompuTrak.

thoroughbred
10-01-2005, 12:11 AM
the point isn't the cost
acorn

Acorn,

Now I am a bit confused. In an earlier post you say that when you tried CompuTrak you found it was impressive. Now I read what is quoted above.

acorn54
10-01-2005, 12:57 AM
it was impressive based on a two day sample ( i downloaded your computrak at around 12:30 am est,so lost out on a free day of use), of the tracks i played.
i would need to have a sample base of say a few hundred bets which would take a free trial period of more than a few days, more on the order of what the other software sellers i mentioned allow.
but that is just me. i am a cautious type and need a meaningful statistical sample to convince me of a software's viability before betting serious wagers. this both jeff of jcapper and nathan of equisim allow with their 15-day trial period.
but if you are satisfied with your sales i can understand not changing your present policy.
acorn

infrontby1
10-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Hello Thoroughbred,
Regarding the user at Saratoga who bet two horses to win in the same race, can you explain further for the second horse that was wagered :
"the other was chosen form the Best Predicted Finish Time Column, or the Recent Predicted Finish time column, whichever was best"
Which column would he/she, becuase if he/she took the best rating from either, it obviously seems that would come from the best ratings column all the time.

Thanks

infrontby1

thoroughbred
10-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Hello Thoroughbred,
Regarding the user at Saratoga who bet two horses to win in the same race, can you explain further for the second horse that was wagered :
"the other was chosen form the Best Predicted Finish Time Column, or the Recent Predicted Finish time column, whichever was best"
Which column would he/she, becuase if he/she took the best rating from either, it obviously seems that would come from the best ratings column all the time.

Thanks

infrontby1
Thank you. You are obviously correct.
I just checked my phone notes, which I wrote when that user called and he did say, or at least I thought he did, that he took the best of the two columns.
He must have just meant the best, as you state.
I'll try to contact him, if possible, to obtain a clarification.
I wish I had been sharp enough to catch the point you make, when he was on the phone.
Thanks again.

acorn54
10-01-2005, 12:44 PM
thoroughbred
when you talk to the saratoga user i'd like to know how the rest of the saratoga meet panned out for him and the final returns on investment
6-days of results at a meet is nice but saratoga is a month long meet.
acorn

Doug3312
10-07-2005, 07:23 PM
I have read all the posts on Computrak, and have yet to read about any meaningful results. A lot of techno bable that sounds good, but does the program measure up?

NoDayJob
10-08-2005, 12:18 AM
I have read all the posts on Computrak, and have yet to read about any meaningful results. A lot of techno bable that sounds good, but does the program measure up?

FWIW, try the program and see for yourself. There's supposed to be a free trial. I have a copy of the first edition, circa 1991-2. It produced a positve R.O.I. for me. BTW, someone from the DRF staff tested it, a few weeks ago, and got positive results too. I no longer use it because of the early edition's manual input and DOS. I understand it has been upgraded to operate with downloadable files and a Win format (the only way to fly). Nothing beats a try but a failure. Let the forum know what you think if you decide to try it.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

wes
10-09-2005, 07:41 AM
I spent 25 bucks to see if I wanted the program. I did not find the program to be any thing special. Too much of a black box for me.

wes

Evolution is at work with most programs. Because they are never finished or stable enough to reach the user's goals.

thoroughbred
10-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I spent 25 bucks to see if I wanted the program. I did not find the program to be any thing special. Too much of a black box for me.

wes

Evolution is at work with most programs. Because they are never finished or stable enough to reach the user's goals.

Wes,

I need to check this out with you, because I think it is likely you are referring to some program other than CompuTrak. Why do I think this?
1.- We never have had a $25 price.
2.- Absolutely free, you can try CompuTrak, with full unlimited, unrestricted use for 3 days, and then in a limited mode thereafter.
3.- You mention "Black Box". CompuTrak has 4 output reports that are directed to users of varying handicapping levels, ranging from a "pick" to a successful "Oddsline and Summary" report, and then on to "Extensive" and "Chart" Reports for the handicapper who wants to analyze the races in greater depth. So "Black Box" seemed to not refer to CompuTrak.

You are correct that programs do evolve. For example, we found that there were potential users who were not familiar with the racing data downloading process from BrisNet, or TSN, i.e., not familiar with the zip/unzip process. So our latest version has "evolved", such that the program can process a zip file automatically, without the user having to unzip.

banacek
10-09-2005, 01:36 PM
You are correct that programs do evolve. For example, we found that there were potential users who were not familiar with the racing data downloading process from BrisNet, or TSN, i.e., not familiar with the zip/unzip process. So our latest version has "evolved", such that the program can process a zip file automatically, without the user having to unzip.

That is being more user friendly. I don't think that is what wes means by evolving.

wes
10-09-2005, 02:29 PM
That's strange as hell. I wonder who charged me $25.00 to try the program for 15 days. It's the same program . I will check back on my charge card to see who the payment went to.

wes

thoroughbred
10-09-2005, 03:54 PM
That's strange as hell. I wonder who charged me $25.00 to try the program for 15 days. It's the same program . I will check back on my charge card to see who the payment went to.

wes

Wes,

Please check; it is important to us.

When did you try the program? If it was some time ago, I can recall that there was a 15 day version available for a short time. I still do not recall a $25 price. And the "Black Box" description doesn't seem right.

Again, please let me know when you purchased the trial, and what you learn from your credit card records.
Thanks

wes
10-09-2005, 05:34 PM
thoroughbred
Here is what the receipt reads from RegSoft.com

RegSoft.com E-Commerce Solutions Receipt

purchased april 13, 2005
invoice no:3728996

1 CompuTrak Handicapper 2005 price $30.00
product ID 70101, PRICE CODE SPECIAL 30-DAY TRIAL

PAID IN FULL

C. Robert Stremel, Jr

At 67 not suffering from brain freeze!

wes

wes
10-09-2005, 06:05 PM

The price was $30.00 instead of $25.00. I do suppose I have a little brain freeze. :rolleyes:

wes

thoroughbred
10-09-2005, 06:12 PM

The price was $30.00 instead of $25.00. I do suppose I have a little brain freeze. :rolleyes:

wes

Hey Wes,
Thank you for clarifying.
No Problem. I'm probably older than you are and I do have have my own "senior memory moments" now and again. LOL.
Feel free to try the latest free trial version whenever you are so inclined.

analyzer
10-09-2005, 11:14 PM
T-Bred- I know I have expressed this before but I am going to try again. Please add a scratch utility to the program to eliminate having to see scratched horses in the program output. It is very frustrating to see a race taken off turf and half the field scratches and you have to see all of the output of scratched horses. It may not bother you but it is a very frustrating to those of us who do not print output and mark through scratches. I have never seen another program which does not allow the user to remove scratched horses. Saturday and Sunday at Belmont with the track off there were scratches in most of the races and it is very hard to use the program with scratches in so many races when you cannot get the scratched horses out of the equation. This cannot be difficult to do as I have not found another program being marketed without a scratch utility. I will gladly give up my right to your website odds adjustment after scratches for the ability to remove scratched horses. There is nothing so frustrating as to be looking at output trying to see how you think the races will run and realize when you finish you have landed on a horse no longer in the race because I cannot remove them from consideration. I'll keep the unzip function but please add the scratch utility so we can use the program properly and consider only output on horses which are actually in the race. Sorry T, but un necessary information clouds the issue and makes me not want to use the program because of it. I hope you will take this in the way it is intended which is elimination of information which is no longer applicable to the races and does not need to be evaluated or seen and is indeed a hinderance. Thanks.

thoroughbred
10-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Analyzer,

Thanks for the suggestion; you are the 1st person to request it.

We will look into being able to incorporate your suggestion in a future version.

In the meantime of course, you probably are aware, that you can easily remove scratched horses from both the Extensive and Chart reports by just highlighting and deleting.

Thanks again.