PDA

View Full Version : Why bother?

Tom
09-25-2005, 01:47 PM
DRF is now using OSA for the track abbreviation for Oaktree at Santa Anita.
My quesiton is......why bother?
What possible use is this idea, other than maybe screw up a few databases?
OSA and SA are the exact same tracks. Same track records, same stretch distance, same ol dsame old. And any date for a SA race NOT between December and April is Oaktree. Duh?
Who could possibly CARE?
And for that matter, who knows WHY they call it Oaktree at SA, or who cares?

With so much obvious idle time on thier hands, maybe DRF could come up with ways to:

1. Get the tracks into Winniers Book every week without "forgetting some" almost evey issue (who proof reads this damn thing, Blinky the Blind man?)

2. Put ALL track into Wiinners Files, instead of omitting some completley, or alternating others some weeks?

DRF never ceases to amaze me.

mainardi
09-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Could this mean that they are going to drive the industry to accept OSA, and thus screw up all the software (personal and commercial) that validates the track abbreviations from data files? Probably, but not that they care... :mad:

Anybody remember when Pomona (POM) became Fairplex (FPX)? I do, as the BRIS data files were already using FPX for Fairmount Park. What would have been wrong with FPL? NOTHING, since there is no FPL track abbreviation! So, now BRIS had to re-designate Fairmount Park as FPK in their data files (even though it's FP in the Form). It's not a big problem anymore -- it WAS for the first few years -- but it would have been nice of DRF to consult with other data providers in the industry. :lol:

GameTheory
09-25-2005, 02:28 PM
It is silly to change the abbreviation, but I guess they want to designate it as a separate meet. The OakTree meet is run by the OakTree non-profit -- they lease the track from the owners (lease currently in place until 2009) for the meet. The Oak Tree Racing Association is one of the few intelligent bodies in the industry, in my opinion...

JustRalph
09-25-2005, 02:43 PM
so, how hard is it to rename files? Is it that easy.....or are automated programs the problem?

BillW
09-25-2005, 02:47 PM
I felt the same about TP's polytrack. With the spectrum of dirt track attributes out there all designated as "dirt" - who cares? It's not as if there are two seperate track options at Turfway now.

Bill

mhrussell
09-25-2005, 02:57 PM
The Oak Tree designation at Santa Anita has always been SAX.. what was the problem with that? Why the need for a change ??

The polytrack is indeed a different surface, and in time, we are likely to see performance differences..so I am glad they added a specific designation for that surface. But this other... I don't have a clue.

Why don't we suggest changing the designator "DRF" to "BFD" ? :D

Tom
09-25-2005, 04:52 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Post of the MONTH! :ThmbUp:

What's nest?
SBEL - spring meet, Belmont?
FBEL - Fall meet, Belmont?
BFD.....side splitter.

gillenr
09-25-2005, 11:10 PM
When AP became Arlington International, they didn't make it AIR.

Tom
09-25-2005, 11:19 PM
AP is in the PPs now.

cj
09-26-2005, 05:16 AM
Tom,

Where did you get this info? Did you see it already in files? I'm curious if it will be just starting this meet, or if they are going to go back and change the older races run at Oak Tree to OSA. I doubt just DRF is doing this, probably Equibase generated. Stupid move really, but what else is new in this industry.

cj
09-26-2005, 07:17 AM
It looks like so far, they have left the SA designation alone for races at prior Oak Tree meets. There is no indication of whether that will be changed or not for this meet, we'll probably have to wait until the first horse runs back to know for sure. :confused:

Valuist
09-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Here's one for the spring Hawthorne meet:

NJC(Spt)/HAW

The National Jockey Club meet formerly run at Sportsman's that now runs at Hawthorne.

Turntime
09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
There are also two designations for Bay Meadows Fair (Bmf) and the regular Bay Meadows meet (BM). Never understood the logic.

BillW
09-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Tom,

Where did you get this info? Did you see it already in files? I'm curious if it will be just starting this meet, or if they are going to go back and change the older races run at Oak Tree to OSA. I doubt just DRF is doing this, probably Equibase generated. Stupid move really, but what else is new in this industry.

This was a result of a request from Oak Tree to Equibase (heard it on either TVG or HRTV yesterday). The NTRA schedule is using the new OSA designator also. Not sure about the old pp's though.

falconridge
09-26-2005, 03:24 PM
DRF is now using OSA for the track abbreviation for Oaktree at Santa Anita.
My quesiton is......why bother?
What possible use is this idea, other than maybe screw up a few databases?
OSA and SA are the exact same tracks. Same track records, same stretch distance, same ol dsame old. And any date for a SA race NOT between December and April is Oaktree. Duh?
Who could possibly CARE?
And for that matter, who knows WHY they call it Oaktree at SA, or who cares?
[... ]DRF never ceases to amaze me.
The Racing Form has never been first in anything useful or pertinent. When, up to about 40 years ago, DRF competed with the old Morning Telegraph, the DRF tabloid edition lacked fractional times, track variants, comment lines (all of which the Telegraph provided) and other data we've come to consider essential. When, only several years ago, The Racing Times used 100ths of a second, DRF stuck with the old 1/5-second timings and something called the "speed index," which of course provided an index to nothing at all.

For some weeks now, I've noticed that in runners' career lines (which, like Beyer figures, extended work tabs, and surface and distance records, DRF only adopted after Steve Crist's vastly superior Racing Times went under), DRF is making a non-existent--not to say misleading--distinction between horses' records at Bay Meadows and Bay Meadows Fair. With DRF's current inscrutable policy, the handicapper might labor under the misconception that even horses that have raced twenty times at BM (but not during a particular two weeks in August) had never set hoof on the Bmf surface! As everyone here knows, BM and Bmf are the same track, and only the auspices under which the meets are conducted differs. I expect DRF will make the same sort of "distinction" between horses' records at SA (Winter) and OSA (Oak Tree). What's next? Tanforan GGF and Cal Jockey GGF? For the love of Morvich, in California an SA fast track in October differs not one whit from an SA fast track in April.

Before the demise of The Racing Times, Crist published an editorial in which he hinted that the speed index (don't ask me to explain; I just remember that often a day's "index" would be based on no more than a single sample--a winner's final time under a particular condition, with no adjustment or allowances made for said time's being registered by a $4K claimer, a 15-length winner, or a Breeder's Cup champion) had him wondering what had found its way into the water supply at the DRF offices. Whatever it may have been, it's apparently back. They drink, but we stagger.

Hosshead
09-26-2005, 04:59 PM
The abbreviation should be for SURFACE, NOT MANAGEMENT !!!

You hear that DRF !!!

Just another good reason not to buy the DRF.

DON'T BUY THE DRF !!!!!

BOYCOT BOYCOT !!!

NoDayJob
09-26-2005, 05:13 PM
:D No, I'm not going to update the track abbreviations. :D

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

Tom
09-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Tom,

Ad in the print edition of DRF this weekend.
Just another case of Equirbase and DRf jumping to cater to someone other than the fans - customers. Typical response by both data-whores.

toetoe
09-27-2005, 01:43 AM
Western Florida track with super-absorbent AstroDirt: Tampax.

Chicago track with new, improved, Helium Enhanced Euroturf: H.E.E./Haw.

Last official act before San Mateo, Ca. track is flushed: B.M.

plainolebill
09-27-2005, 02:17 AM
BRIS has changed also.

DJofSD
09-27-2005, 10:47 AM
BRIS has changed (in the last 24 hours) the name on their Instant Entries. Before the entries for the opening day of the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita used the traditional "SA" designation. Now, it reads Oak Tree (Santa Anita).

However, the list of tracks with track codes found in the Handicapper's LIbrary still shows "SAX". Maybe they forgot about that document.

DJofSD

midnight
09-28-2005, 12:44 AM
TSN has already made the change to OSA.

Is it possible that the people who run Oak Tree asked for this?

Hosshead
09-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Oak Tree told Equibase that they wanted to piss on the stats to mark their turf.
Equibase said sure, we don't give a damn.

The Hawk
09-28-2005, 12:27 PM
The abbreviation should be for SURFACE, NOT MANAGEMENT !!!

You hear that DRF !!!

Just another good reason not to buy the DRF.

DON'T BUY THE DRF !!!!!

BOYCOT BOYCOT !!!

I have it on good authority that the stats will cover all races over the Santa Anita surface, whether the race is run at the "Oak Tree" meet or the regular winter meet. It's simply a designation in the PP's that Oak Tree management demanded from Equibase, and that made it necessary for ALL data providers to make the change. If this is a big imposition on you, you have to pin the blame on Equibase or you'll also be boycotting BRIS, TSN, etc.

mhrussell
09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
..last night I sent a detailed email to the Oak Tree Operations Manager complaining about this and asking what their role was in this decision and how it was implemented. I also wrote about other big issues and needed changes as I hardly ever go to the track anymore.

I will keep you posted.. but I have sent around half a dozen emails to the SA offices over the past 4-5 years and have yet to receive a reply to any of them.

But I feel a little better for doing so anyway... :D

DJofSD
09-29-2005, 12:16 AM
FWIW, the BRIS web page for the opening day's results has OSA in the HTML code.

<a href="http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?type=inc&country=USA&track=OSA&date=2005-09-28&enc=495B4F34221219190C1E796E4B44BFB9F4E68BDAC65723 4B755EB397F6D5&race=1" name="#R1">1st Race</a> - Oak Tree At Santa Anita - Wednesday, September 28th, 2005</b></font>

Bummer.

As far as the so called track code field description, it reminds me of Lewis Carroll's 'a word means exactly what I want it to mean, no more, no less.'

They're all a bunch of idiots.

DJofSD

EQUIPACE
09-29-2005, 12:52 AM
This is creating a problem for us Equisim users as well...
Looks like Nathan at Thorotech is going to have to do a software revision because of it.

http://thorotech.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/532608406/m/4691066133

John
~żo

DJofSD
09-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent to BRIS. They usually reply -- eventually.

To Whom It May Concern:

The change of the track designator for the Oak Tree meeting at Santa
Anita is an unfortunate misstep on the part of all parties involved.

And since the change from "SAX" to "OSA" is likley going to appear in
the data files/past performance data, I would suggest that BRIS updates
all the relevant documentation. This would include all of the documents
in the Handicapper's Library, such as the single file format, field #1
and the Track Codes and Report Availability. These data items can no
longer be accurately described as track code. The field must now be
described as 'track code and/or race meeting code.' And, please, if the
web documentation is updated/changed/altered, add/update the revision date.

Additionally, regarding the past performance data, I would suggest using
some of the reserved fields to indicate a true track code if different
than what is in the traditional TRACK CODE field. For example, the
single file format programmer's data has field #1, TRACK CODE, that
previously contained SAX for all Santa Anita past performance data. If
future past performance data will contain "OSA" in field #1, please use
field #26 or #27 to contain "SAX". There already is a precedence for
differentiating differences between similar data items with the
inclusion of FINISH POSITION and MONEY POSITION fields. And in the same
manner, if fields #276-285 will contain "OSA" please employee fields
#376-385 (currently reserved) to include the value "SAX".

Lastly, the work out field appears to have 10 characters as a maximum
length. Again, if "OSA" is to appear for those works that occured over
the Arcadia surface, please use a compounded code such as "OSA/SAX" or
"OSA(SAX)".

Marc At DRF
09-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Guys,

2 comments:

1) Looking into the Bay Meadows/Bay Meadows Fair thing. Obviously, that's no good if it's the case. If you ever see anything like that, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at mattenb@drf.com.

2) Re: OSA designation. This emanated from the people who own/run Oak Tree. It would not be appropriate for me to get into the specifics but let's just say this is far from a simple change for the data provider(s) to make, so there had to be a strong directive from the track for something like this to happen. And no, we're not doing anything silly with the stats (if a horse runs at OSA, then SA, all stats are combined, and we are not calling SA "OSA" once the Oak Tree Meet is over).

I'd be curious to see what kind of feedback you get from e-mailing/writing the Oak Tree management directly.

Tom
09-29-2005, 12:48 PM
One simpe question for DRF.....who is buying your products, OAk Tree of US?

Your loyalties are hilarious. Just frigging hilarious.:ThmbDown:

And as far as feedback goes, I am not buying anything from OakTree.

Marc At DRF
09-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Another question would be who is supplying the data for the industry to use...

If the data providers have nothing to sell, that would be even more problematic, no?

Marc At DRF
09-29-2005, 12:54 PM
"For some weeks now, I've noticed that in runners' career lines (which, like Beyer figures, extended work tabs, and surface and distance records, DRF only adopted after Steve Crist's vastly superior Racing Times went under), DRF is making a non-existent--not to say misleading--distinction between horses' records at Bay Meadows and Bay Meadows Fair."

"For some weeks now," from what I've been told, that's not inaccurate. It's been this way for many, many years. We're having it changed, after the current Bay Meadows meet closes on Oct 16. It will be ready to go when BM re-opens in Jan 06.

Again, please do drop me a line with stuff like this.

Tom
09-29-2005, 07:22 PM
As we come full circle.....Why Bothter? :rolleyes:

Valuist
10-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I was watching TVG yesterday and at the bottom of the screen they had OSA. At first I thought it was something for Japan racing. Maybe Osaka Downs.

DJofSD
10-01-2005, 12:38 PM
The whole mess is so the Oak Tree meet can promote their own web site.

DJofSD

Valuist
10-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Got a question: I haven't bet SA (or shall I say OSA) since the "change". In the DRF past performances, under the area "record over track" are they actually making a distinction between SA and OSA? If they do, this is ultimate in stupidity. I can't believe Crist would go along with this.

cj
10-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Got a question: I haven't bet SA (or shall I say OSA) since the "change". In the DRF past performances, under the area "record over track" are they actually making a distinction between SA and OSA? If they do, this is ultimate in stupidity. I can't believe Crist would go along with this.

They are doing it properly. It says OSA in the box, but all races at SA are included.

On a similar note, anyone notice all the Crc jockey and trainer records for the meeting were reset when they moved, I'm guessing, to the Tropical Park at Crc meeting? Shouldn't this be TPC to be similar to Oak Tree, or would that confuse the PGA Tour?

DRF lists them like this:

Calder Race Course - CRC: Apr 25 - Oct 16 ;Oct 17 - Jan 2

Tom
10-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Who cares what meet it is?

Don't the data whores know who is buying thier "product?"
What is the sense in rolling over from one day to the next?
Oh, that's right - customer service is in , what, India, Pakistan? (Maybe Bin Laden is working the phones!)