PDA

View Full Version : It's not you, it's me.

nobeyerspls
09-25-2005, 08:47 AM
To All

That looks like George Costanza's line from Seinfeld but let me borrow it. I don't know enough about pace figures, even the terminology, to continue on here. This really isn't the place for general handicapping discussions, or for helping newbies because, as the name implies, it's dominated by pace handicappers, some even seeking their phd's as someone pointed out. I own a small investment company and, I'm proud to say, we're quite good. Through direct investing in stocks and bonds we continually outperform the S&P 500 and we easily beat all the mutual funds. I can't imagine trying to have a meaningful discourse with someone who knows nothing about equity selection or asset allocation.

I gave the beyer speed figures the repect they deserve by reading the books and completing a real-time analysis. Until I do that with pace figures, I need to stay silent regarding them. I suppose if there ever was any arrogance on my part it was asking for a free lesson from others without doing any work on my own. The racing industry is at a difficult crossroads. The Pharos/Non-Pharos breeding tendency will make Phalaris the sole foundation sire unless there is a move away from inbreeding. The pronounced fragility will get worse and even fewer Grade I performers will make it to age four.

I took my sixteen month old grandson to the track yesterday and he chortled with delight at the walking ring when the "riders up" call produced that burst of color from the silks. I stood in that same spot with my father in 1956. The big maple trees weren't much more than saplings then. Will my little guy be able to bring his son there thirty years from now? Will he feel my father's presence and visit the spot where my ashes are spread? My greatest fear is that a few live venues will compete with virtual racing and all will be accessed from home computers.

So, honor the animals you bet with an occasional trip to the track. Even the least talented among them share a cross generational nobility. W trace them back through the stables of kings and commoners. When two of them hook up for that long stretch duel, the courage to run through the pain of full flight might come from the loins of Nearco and the heart of Princequillo.

Thanks to Light, CJ, Red Knave, Lefty, and others for their advice and patience. My apologies to littleguy and others for any offense as none was intended. Kudos to Paceadvantage for excellent monitoring and good handicapping to all.

cj
09-25-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't really think this board is dominated by pace handicappers, but if that is what a thread is about, I'm guessing they are the cappers most likely to contribute. I've learned a bunch here from guys with totally different ideas from my own, no reason you can't do the same.

bettheoverlay
09-25-2005, 09:44 AM
I suspect even successful pace handicappers rely chiefly on their intuition. Numbers are ink on paper, but an astute intuition, born from experience, is the goal.

andicap
09-25-2005, 10:08 AM
This has gotten really old really fast. Possibly the most self-indulgement clap-trap I've seen on this board --- :sleeping: :sleeping:

the little guy
09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey, I just got an idea for a new/old game show...." Drama Queen for a Day ".

TurfRuler
09-25-2005, 11:07 AM
I've had my disappointments over the years using the Beyers figures, but I still like to see them and compute them. I worked for an investment firm when I first went to the racetrack. I still believe that accountants and CEO's are straight shooters, at least then they were.

kingfin66
09-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey, I just got an idea for a new/old game show...." Drama Queen for a Day ".

:lol:

But seriously, I think there are handicappers of many ilks on this board. I know that nobody would dare call me a pace handicapper, although I definitely integrate it into my handicapping.

I guess this was kind of a farewell speech, so farewell!

Tom
09-25-2005, 01:36 PM
I suspect even successful pace handicappers rely chiefly on their intuition. Numbers are ink on paper, but an astute intuition, born from experience, is the goal.

I thought is was CASH?

kitts
09-25-2005, 02:26 PM
This is a game with a huge randomness. Pace, class, form, weight, track, trainer, jockey, 3rd after layoff, etc. It is very hard to beat this game and if you do, you are doing it your way so keep dong that. And don't sweat the details.

I can outline my method and others can do as well for theirs but it is doubtful that any one method "fits" another.

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Well, the site IS called PaceAdvantage.Com.....LOL

If it is dominated by pace handicappers (which I don't think it IS, but that's besides the point), it's not like you weren't warned by the URL.....LOL

Thanks for the posts nobeyerspls, and Godspeed!

Vegas711
09-25-2005, 10:17 PM
If someone wants to post NEW IDEAS on SPEED or Class evaluation I am sure that there will be an audience.

dav4463
09-25-2005, 11:39 PM
I NEVER look at pace figures. I still like to read insights by those who do. I tried it a couple of times, couldn't really get the hang of how to use the pace figures. I mainly use the Beyers, looking to beat the top figure horses, class moves, class fit, and try to get into the mind of the trainer. I like to look at an entire card and see how each trainer is thinking, and which races he or she is really expecting or hoping to win. I can't say I totally disregard pace, I do look at race shapes to see if the race sets up for lone speed or if it has so much speed that a closer should win. In normal races, I do not look at pace at all.

Suff
09-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, the site IS called PaceAdvantage.Com.....LOL

If it is dominated by pace handicappers (which I don't think it IS, but that's besides the point), it's not like you weren't warned by the URL.....LOL

Thanks for the posts nobeyerspls, and Godspeed!

Is this guy gone? :lol: He never even got here. Signed up less than 2 months ago. F'ing Judy Garland.

Not him in particular but all in general... Remember... A few popular boards got shut down in the last few months. Plus DRF went into the toilet. All the freaks that brought them down are floating around. Some in sheep's clothing.

They'll argue about why Exterminator won the 1924 Saratoga cup... long discussion on races they have never seen or bet on. That's a huge issue... A lot of these types don't even bet races!!:lol: They just talk about them. Endlessly. All they're really looking for is argument. They want to be confronted so they can issue "smart lessons" ...

They'll discuss the 1994 Breeders Cup for weeks... sharing such mundane secrets like ..so and so was going to get 1/4 inch bends but the farrier got stuck in Traffic and he went with 8 week old shoe's...:lol:

I mean .....It never stops. Just keep in mind... These types don't bet horses.. They only talk about them. Even if they found 10 dollars on the ground they'd only bet 5. :lol:

Anyway... PA's on it so I don't worry about it to much.

plainolebill
09-26-2005, 01:14 AM
Lots of homeless 'Pretty Horsey' types floating around too. :eek:

Is this guy gone? :lol: He never even got here. Signed up less than 2 months ago. F'ing Judy Garland.

Not him in particular but all in general... Remember... A few popular boards got shut down in the last few months. Plus DRF went into the toilet. All the freaks that brought them down are floating around. Some in sheep's clothing.

They'll argue about why Exterminator won the 1924 Saratoga cup... long discussion on races they have never seen or bet on. That's a huge issue... A lot of these types don't even bet races!!:lol: They just talk about them. Endlessly. All they're really looking for is argument. They want to be confronted so they can issue "smart lessons" ...

They'll discuss the 1994 Breeders Cup for weeks... sharing such mundane secrets like ..so and so was going to get 1/4 inch bends but the farrier got stuck in Traffic and he went with 8 week old shoe's...:lol:

I mean .....It never stops. Just keep in mind... These types don't bet horses.. They only talk about them. Even if they found 10 dollars on the ground they'd only bet 5. :lol:

Light
09-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Allthough I tried helping NB out,in the back of my mind I thought"how could a guy who admits he has been playing the races for 49 years act like he's a newbie and say we are talking way too advanced handicapping concepts for him"?Hmmm.

PaceAdvantage
09-26-2005, 01:45 AM

And the funniest post of the week award goes to............

Good one Suff ol' Boy...you still makin' em laugh...that's good!

What a race it's shaping up to be, eh? Baseball was MEANT for weeks like the one that is coming up....

The Judge
09-26-2005, 11:01 AM
To become a pace handicapper you must first go thru the wars of other forms of handicapping. I did.

JackS
09-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Can anyone here truly say that no attention at all is payed to the Beyer's? Regardless of anyones opinion of their worth, I believe most of us are always at least going to glance at this number if for no other reason then just the opinion. Pace on the other hand, is destined to play the larger part in handicapping becuase of it's never ending theory's of best application. My guess is that no-one using pace as their main handicapping tool are using it exactly as they learned it years ago, and will be using it a little bit differently a year from now. A natural evoulution of handicappers and handicapping will forever be associated with pace.

Tom
09-26-2005, 08:21 PM
When I use HTR, I never look at Beyers - there aren't any! :D

Seldom look at HTR speed figs, either. I don't think speed figures tell you much of anything. Beyers are way too flawed to have any real use, IMHO. CJ's versions are far superior to anything Beyer ever did. When i use other than HTR , it is CJ. He has an understanding of the numbers game that agrees with my own, so I know he must be right! :eek:

DrugSalvastore
09-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm also going to be vanishing from this message board after October and the Breeders Cup.

My days as a bettor are over. A guy I've known for several years through a local betting parlor, has offered me a job as a car salesman at a dealership he runs. It's an unbelievable opportunity for me.

I intend to bet the Belmont card this Saturday, next Saturday, and than the Breeders Cup Classic will be my final card. It's hard to give up on betting like this, but I want to have a family and a much better social life. I'm sure i'll show up and post on rare occasions--but I will be very uninformed and my opinion will be crappy from all the racing I will miss. I realize that once you walk away from this game for even as little as three months--you can't come back without investing months of time to catch up on what you missed.

I'm thrilled about getting to move into a nicer apartment in a few days, and now I don't have to be such a tight-wad about spending money. My "betting bankroll" now becomes spending money--and that's real exciting!! You unlucky people still do have a few more weeks of me though! You should throw a DrugS is gone party after the Breeders Cup!!

JackS
09-26-2005, 09:14 PM
DrugS- I don't believe you. This game is heroine without the needle.
Take a vacation, get your life situated and then come back. We'll all be waiting.

DrugSalvastore
09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
DrugS- I don't believe you. This game is heroine without the needle.
Take a vacation, get your life situated and then come back. We'll all be waiting.

Everything is situated fine---I just need to take a different path. The only way I know how to beat this game is to follow it obssesively--and you just can't have a family and a good social life--and still follow the game with the same intensity. I'll miss it like a junkie---but I have to move on....it would be crazy to keep this up for any longer. I feel very lucky to have what I have now from betting.

Besides, you see how HORRIBLE my writing skills and grammar are--it's not like I have a shot at getting a job as a writer. I don't think I can bring the same kind of intensity and excitement to selling cars like I do to this---but if I'm even close, I think I can make myself like 45K a year--and that's better than even my most profitable year as bettor---by a healthy margin.

It will just be so nice to just have a steady relationship with a girl again. Like back in junior high!

Light
09-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Chicks and 45k? Nirvana baby.

dav4463
09-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Just date a woman who knows how to read a racing form !

I spend half my waking hours doing something involved with horseracing. I wouldn't have it any other way. I guess you have to love the sport first, then learn the betting part. I enjoyed watching racing on TV as a kid and trying to pick the winner with no idea how to make any money at it.

Vegas711
09-27-2005, 03:17 AM
I just do not get this i have to quit stuff. Maybe if we were living in the 1940's I could see horse racing getting in the way of a personal life, but not when you have the availability of computers . A person can break even betting ,spending as little as 20 minutes a day doing prep work. Spend 45 minutes and you can turn a profit. Throw in a computer program and you are set to go. This game does not require 8 hours a day anymore. When I handicapp a race I spend no more than 10 minutes a day. Get married, bring her to the track then you can have both. I see plently of married people at the track, they are happy people.

Horse racing is more than just a method of making money. It also is a way of escaping reality. This game and board gives a person a little time to forget about their problems and how crappy the world is. Living in this so called fantasy world lowers your stress and it can be a benefit to a persons life.

classhandicapper
09-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Drugsalvastore,

I know exactly where you are coming from and I have the solution.

If you enjoy this game, but don't want to spend the time, energy, etc.. that is required to play it full time, focus all your attention on one type of race. I focus a lot of my energy on Graded stakes on dirt. There's only a handful of races each week and they usually occur on Saturday and Sunday. So it is not very time consuming to review the charts, replays, and do the handicapping. Plus, since you are following only a small pool of horses, you'll start remembering all the trips, paces, biases and any other factors that impacted a horse in any of his relevant races. That saves future handicapping time.

This is obviously not the path to maximizing your profits because you'll have fewer opportunities. But it is a way to lead a very balanced life, enjoy your hobby, and keep your play at a very high level.

Light
09-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Ug....I think DS's post is tongue in cheek.

twindouble
09-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Can anyone here truly say that no attention at all is payed to the Beyer's? Regardless of anyones opinion of their worth, I believe most of us are always at least going to glance at this number if for no other reason then just the opinion. Pace on the other hand, is destined to play the larger part in handicapping becuase of it's never ending theory's of best application. My guess is that no-one using pace as their main handicapping tool are using it exactly as they learned it years ago, and will be using it a little bit differently a year from now. A natural evoulution of handicappers and handicapping will forever be associated with pace.

Jack, not to wise but I don't need to evolve when it comes to pace, for me it's been there from the beginning. Todays handicappers are just tring to define it futher than us old timers, they are attempting to take some of the guess work out of it, some say they are being sucessful at it. I know nothing about their methods so I can't discount it. Nobeyerspls had the right idea, that was to put the figurest to the test openly but to me that may have been the wrong approach. One or two races will never tell the story but time will, if it works most will get on the bandwagon to some degree. Just by reading here and other forums the Beyer figures have come into question over time so who's numbers will take hold or fail is the question. Maybe the Beyers will be the best that can be had, who knows.

PaceAdvantage
09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Ug....I think DS's post is tongue in cheek.

Something tells me there is an equal chance that it is NOT! :eek:

Valuist
09-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Drugz-

You're 1 to 9 that you will be back. Once its in your blood, it doesn't go away. You're what, 20 something years old? I don't know too many 20 somethings that have your knowledge of racing and handicapping. You've invested the time; you can't throw it away forever.

chickenhead
09-27-2005, 03:52 PM
but if I'm even close, I think I can make myself like 45K a year--and that's better than even my most profitable year as bettor---by a healthy margin.

Drugs, if you are serious, aim a little higher. You're smart enough to do better than a used car salesman (not that there's anything wrong with that!).
And don't assume a lack of papers that say you're educated will hold you back...if you are smart, and you seem to be, you'll get employed wherever you go, you may just have to learn a new trick.

I suggest with your passion for the horses you try to find something in that field. There are a few guys on this board who you should probably be bugging for some contacts and introductions. You can be a used car salesman anytime.

Good luck.

Fastracehorse
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
One of the best gambleing horsemen in Alberta is a used car salesman.

When I heard what he did for a living I laughed really hard - because he sold the betting public alot of lemons.

fffastt

JackS
09-27-2005, 04:12 PM
DrugS- My impression is that you are spending too much time on a daily basis doing nothing except handicapping. I don't know how many races or tracks you are routinely trying to play, but I suspect it may be too many.
Whittle down to one track and then set a limit on the amount of time handicapping each race your interested in.
This will give you plenty of time to devote to your GF and also allow you to hold a job at the same time.

JustMissed
09-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Drugs, if you are serious, aim a little higher. You're smart enough to do better than a used car salesman (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Good luck.

Don't discourage Drugs from his new career.

Within a very few weeks there will be tons and tons of used, but slightly water damaged autos headed from New Orleans to Pennsylvania and parts North. :lol:

Heck, Drugs may be able to make $90K a year selling totaled out economy cars.

Just think, $45K for drugs and living expense and $45K to p.o. at the race track. What a life for him.

JM

Vegas711
09-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Horse players look for advantageous situations, Car salesmen create these situations by ripping off the public. Unless you can do this with no remorse you will be a failure as a used car salesman. The fact that at the bottom of your post you write that you are a religous person, pretty much answers if you will be successful at this lowly profession.I would bet that you are not the type who can scew people to make a buck.

Valuist
09-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Here's a question for the board: if you were given a choice of making $50,000/year at the track or $100,000 a year in the working world, what would you choose?

IMO, it would be easy and it wouldn't be the working world.

headhawg
09-27-2005, 04:56 PM
I've been in the car business, and I still feel like I have to shower just thinking about it. Anyway, you really can't make money in it unless: 1) you've been in it a long time and have a lot of repeat customers (and loyalty is very rare nowadays), or 2) you've got a great spiel and no conscience.

And you probably aren't going to work with the finest citizens either. Example: one busy Saturday I was working with a customer. I went into the showroom and saw another sales person working with one of my previous customers. I asked them if they were disappointed in the way I treated them and that's why those chose to work with another salesperson. They said that they did ask for me but the b***h (my words) they were working with told them that I no longer worked there. It gets worse. I told the managers about it and they said for me to finish the deal -- and I had to SPLIT the commission. So I do all the work and she got half the money.

Good luck, DrugS -- you'll need it.

Tom Barrister
09-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Drugs: go for the job. There's nothing like the security of a steady paycheck. You can work some time in for handicapping once you're settled into your new regimen.

The title of this thread reminds me of the late 50's and early 60's, when our family would be sitting in front of our TV (back then there were only two stations we could get: CBS and NBC affiliates---people with a roof antenna could get ABC and an independent station in a nearby city) and the picture and/or sound would go out or get fuzzy. Back in that day, stations frequently had problems transmitting, and if there was a problem, a technician at the station would put a card in view of the camera explaining that there was a problem. Sometimes that wouldn't happen for several minutes. Dad would get up and switch to the other station. If the other station looked okay, he'd proclaim the source of the problem: "It's them." If the other station had the same problem, he'd say: "It's us."

If it was "us", he would open up the back of the set and take out the 20 or so tubes. He and I would hop into the car and head for the nearest drug store. They had a large machine there where people could plug the TV tubes in to see if they were weak or burned out. Mom would supervise Dad's work on the set. He was allowed to open the set, take tubes out, put tubes back in, and close the set. He wasn't allowed to do any other kind of work on the set, as sets then (and now) posed an electrical shock hazaard. If fresh tubes didn't solve the problem, he'd usualy try to play around with it anyway, while Mom would complain and warn him about the time he shorted out the set.

One of the times, the picture was all fuzzy and new tubes didn't fix the problem. Mom wouldn't let Dad fool with the set, so he had to call a repairman. The man, who Dad knew, opened the back of the set, asked Dad if he'd tested the tubes, then turned on the set and looked at the picture. He proclaimed that he knew what the problem was. He took out a screwdriver and (while Dad watched) turned a screw a couple of turns. The picture came back into focus. He told Dad that some part that I don't remember had come loose and that it happened all the time with this model of set.

"How much do I owe you, Harry?" Dad said, reaching for his wallet.

"Twenty-five dollars," Harry told him. This was in early 1960's money, and it'd be the same as about $150 today.

Naturaly, Dad went through the roof. "TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS?" he repeated loudly. "To turn a screw?"

"Well," Harry said, "it's five bucks for the home call."

"That's reasonable," Dad acknowledged.

"It only costs two bucks to open the set and turn the screw," Harry told him.

"Okay," Dad said, starting to pull off a five and two ones.

"It costs eighteen dollars," Harry continued, "for knowing WHICH screw to turn."

Tee
09-27-2005, 05:13 PM
My days as a bettor are over. A guy I've known for several years through a local betting parlor, has offered me a job as a car salesman at a dealership he runs. It's an unbelievable opportunity for me.

How did the discussion move to a used car salesman?

A buddy of mine used to sell cars - emphasis on the past tense. Not a day would go buy w/o him telling me a story of how bad the business is & how cutthroat the sales people were.

Maybe it was just him, but from the looks of the replies to the threat I don't think it was.

Then again my cousin works at a John Elway dealership in Denver & is doing quite well.

Good luck DrugS!!!!

Topcat
09-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Great story Tom Barrister. I remember the tubes.

My uncle Marv worked for RCA at the time and he was one of the first in the neighborhod to have a color set-a crowd would gather at his house to watch the few shows that would broadcast in color-I remember watching Bonaza in color for the first time-Now I just went out and bought an IPOD clone for my daughter because her volleyball coach wants them all to listen to MP3 players when they practice serves.

Meanwhile about the only two changes in technology in the horse industry have been accepted are intertrack wagers and being able to go to any betting window rather then one designated by the amount you want to bet.

Light
09-27-2005, 05:31 PM
The car salesman bit is why I say DS is playing around. If he's not B.ssing then he's terribly naive and in for a reality check.. You don't walk off the streets and make 45k selling cars. As an auto mechanic for 25 years all I've seen is a bunch of guys who won't last a couple of weeks. You think the bottom level car sales men feed first?

toetoe
09-27-2005, 05:43 PM
I wanna be the guy turning the screw mercilessly, and making $18 per screw , to boot.

Valuist
09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Used car guys make a lot more per screw than that.

Tom
09-27-2005, 07:34 PM
:lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
09-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Please don't tell my mother that I select horses for a living. She thinks I sell used cars. ;)

twindouble
09-27-2005, 09:25 PM

Suff; I'm new here and also came from the DRF forum. How am I suposed to take what you said?

This reminds of the town I live in, been here 26 years and still not concidered a resident by the local natives but I'm having the last laugh. They embaced the rich and phoney, now they are slowly being discarded. Heck their kids and grandchildren can't afford a house here now. Some good honest people had to relocate as a result. Maybe nobeyerspls is one up on me and sensed he wasn't wecomed, your words validate it. I got a few laughs out some of your posts but not this one.

Good luck to you.

T.D.

DrugSalvastore
09-27-2005, 09:37 PM
It's a new and used car dealership---predominantly new cars though.

The other salesman are mostly middle aged...a few older.

It's a very good situation for me. I've really struggled at getting along with "authority" figures--mainly in school--but the sales manager there is a guy I respect, and a guy who has a lot of confidence in me. I've known him from betting parlors ever since I was a little guy. He's insisted that if I can bring anything near the same intesity to that line of work, as I did to the horses, I'll do extremely well.

I'll be fine. I had a really impressive betting bankroll built up from the past six years--it's now cash I can afford to spend. It's like inheriting a load of money without anyone having to bite the dust. Even though it was always "my money" I could never afford to spend much of it--because of the nature of the betting game.

As for people who suggest that you can be a very effective horse bettor, and still have a family and a great social life...I don't believe it..I'm sure some will say you can though---and maybe some can.

There was a real great quote by young Octavian (Caeser Augustus) in last Sunday's episode of Rome--he was told that he could be made into a swordsman with average skill--to which he responded by saying "the cemeteries are full of middling swordsman...it's better to be no swordsman at all than a middling swordsman."

If you can't follow this game obsessively, and you can't make time to watch and make notes on every race run, than in my opinioin, you can be no better than an average horse player. I've seen more than my fair share of average bettors in my life--it's not something for me. I will still watch the big races and bet them for fun--but it's time to move on for me. I think a lot of us wish we could get a writing job and actually get paid a salary to follow the game closely--but not everyone can write as well as they need to. It was never my strong suit. I'm happy and lucky. I had a great time on my own the last six years...and even in my school days, I paid all my attention to this stuff, and not nearly enough to the other things.

You guys are still stuck with me posting here until after the Breeders Cup though. After that, I'll probably only show up for the big races.

JackS
09-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Careful DrugS, That like the guy who drinks two 6-packs a day deciding to cut back to one beer every now and then. It won't work. One big race now and then will eventually lead to many little races all the time. You may need to go into therapy if your really serious and I doubt the therapist would agree that you can play only one big race on a limited basis.

DrugSalvastore
09-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Careful DrugS, That like the guy who drinks two 6-packs a day deciding to cut back to one beer every now and then. It won't work. One big race now and then will eventually lead to many little races all the time. You may need to go into therapy if your really serious and I doubt the therapist would agree that you can play only one big race on a limited basis.

OH MY GOD!!! I think you are missing something. I am not "quitting" because I have to---I am quitting because I want to do something else.

If I spent the past several years working at PNC Bank...and I quit...do you think anyone would suggest I need therapy because of it???

I know the routine a horse player must go through to win--it's not something that's addictive at all--it's a lot of tedious work, and a lot of stuff that keeps you up late into the night....it is not the kind of stuff I want to do all of my life.

It would be one thing if I was successful to the point where I was very wealthy at this young age from betting---but that isn't the case.

People who know me are making it out like I'm Ricky Williams giving up on pro football to go camping and smoke weed. It's so silly. If I wasn't such a tight-wad about spending money..I wouldn't have nearly what I have now. I haven't been nearly as successful at this as some people think.

I probably do need therapy:) But not because I gave up betting to work a job like everyone else seems to do. That's so silly.

KingChas
09-27-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm also going to be vanishing from this message board after October and the Breeders Cup.

It's hard to give up on betting like this, but I want to have a family and a much better social life. I'm sure i'll show up and post on rare occasions--but I will be very uninformed and my opinion will be crappy from all the racing I will miss. My "betting bankroll" now becomes spending money--and that's real exciting!! You unlucky people still do have a few more weeks of me though! You should throw a DrugS is gone party after the Breeders Cup!!

Hey DrugS I see you just turned 24 Hmmm.............................. ;) Stop by after the Honeymoon's Over!BOL-KC :lol: :lol:

Light
09-27-2005, 11:55 PM
DS

If horseracing is a chore for you, you are 100% right to leave. Not healthy.

nomadpat
09-28-2005, 12:20 AM
I have to agree with those that said you are 1/9 to come back. I'm 32 and spent a lot of time handicapping in my 20s and would "quit" from to time in my formative handicapping years. Once it's in your blood, it's in your blood, you just have to learn how to manage time/$ and may not be able to do it as much.
Once you step through the vortex you never go back :cool:

DrugSalvastore
09-28-2005, 12:33 AM
DS

If horseracing is a chore for you, you are 100% right to leave. Not healthy.

I wouldn't call it a chore.

Playing it at the level I have played it at over the last several years probably isn't healthy though.

The problem is, that you only get out of things what you put in. If you don't put in all that tedious work, and stay up through the night---you are just inflating the mutuals for those very few who do. That's how I look at it.

In my opinion, this game isn't as easy as some try to make it out to be.

After I get married, have kids, and they are grown up, than I can come back to this great passion of mine. I really am excited about hooking up with a certain babe from my past--and I have to sire a few little DrugS to raise hell. I just have some other exciting stuff I want to do.

I'm actually really tired of talking about all this now. I'm sure some are tired of reading this stuff. Just wanted to let you studs know I won't be around much after the Cup, and I'll be sucking up steady paychecks, and working for the man, instead of watching VHS tapes of recent races until my eyeballs can't take it...taking notes on all the little details of the race.

the little guy
09-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Suff; I'm new here and also came from the DRF forum. How am I suposed to take what you said?

This reminds of the town I live in, been here 26 years and still not concidered a resident by the local natives but I'm having the last laugh. They embaced the rich and phoney, now they are slowly being discarded. Heck their kids and grandchildren can't afford a house here now. Some good honest people had to relocate as a result. Maybe nobeyerspls is one up on me and sensed he wasn't wecomed, your words validate it. I got a few laughs out some of your posts but not this one.

Good luck to you.

T.D.I think you've set yourself up well as a contestant on the second episode of " Drama Queen for a Day ".

KingChas
09-28-2005, 01:27 AM
After I get married, have kids, and they are grown up, than I can come back to this great passion of mine.

Good Luck Son! Sell a lotta cars . :kiss:

TLG;When we voting for the Queen? :D

PS; Maybe all you guys quitting this forum can start a new one;
Pace Disadvantage.Com-Sorry PA for the copyright infridgment(sic) :lol:

dav4463
09-28-2005, 02:19 AM
"You guys are still stuck with me posting here until after the Breeders Cup though".

I'll bet if you crush a BC race for about 15 or 20 grand that you won't quit !

DrugSalvastore
09-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Good Luck Son! Sell a lotta cars . :kiss:

TLG;When we voting for the Queen? :D

PS; Maybe all you guys quitting this forum can start a new one;
Pace Disadvantage.Com-Sorry PA for the copyright infridgment(sic) :lol:

Buy one from me dammit!!! You live in the same state as I do! We probably live on the same street. I'll get you a nice deal when I start!

As for the The Little Guy's drama queen contest....as I recall, I believe a drama queen is one who overreacts. Here's my analysis on this...

The Suff guy keeps it real--even though he stepped in my Kool-aid when I first started posting here, he doesn't seem like a bad cat. TD and TLG have some awkward lover's quarell going on. Figuratively of course, I'm not implying that they are pole-smokers. I think TD's post was tounge-in-cheek, and intended to stir things up, though I've been dead wrong on his intentions before.

Nobeyers is more of a sensative type than an overreacting type. The real Drama Queen types are in the OT folder...go read those political posts for crying out loud!!

Even with a dreadful thread like this in it, the horse racing board here is a million times better than OT Politic board. That OT board should be renamed The Sewer.

twindouble
09-28-2005, 12:07 PM
I think you've set yourself up well as a contestant on the second episode of " Drama Queen for a Day ".

How do you know what he said didn't include you? He didn't mention any names, maybe you know him personally like you do others here. Anyway, thanks for the heads up but I'm not going anywhere unless I'm told to leave. Besides, when I left the DRF forum, there was no drama but when you left the drama continued on for quite sometime. Haven't checked lately it may still be going on. ;) I'm long gone and forgotten. :(

TurfRuler
09-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Drugs--are you sure this isn't about Manny. If you must get a day job and raise a family I'd find an agent and get to writing serious fiction. My opinion is that you would be very good at it, you write very well.

Suff
09-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Good luck to you.

T.D.

Missed this one.

Short version

If it dont apply, let it fly

Medium version

The hardest thing to do with a message board is to get it clacking with interesting chatter that draws a crowd. This takes years.

The easiest thing to do with a message board is to watch it disintegrate into babbling bullshit that drives away a crowd. This can happen in weeks.

Longer Version

Everyone seeks out there own piece of land here. Did you see the thread "Beyers Art or Science? The brainiacs are in there talking about Physics and what not. I don't go anywhere near that thread. To me that thread is like "the grown ups are talking"

If I posted in that thread, I would suck all the air right out of it. I don't work well with statistics. I'm to stupid.

Statistical fact: 96% of all Americans die while lying down in bed.

My conclusion: If you don't want to die, sleep in a chair.

You post in threads that you fit into, that you find interesting, you gravitate toward topics and posters you find interesting and over time you carve out a piece of the place that's yours.

\

Vegas711
09-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Next week I will turn 102, I think that I will play for a couple of more years.

Suff
09-28-2005, 03:05 PM
one thing.

Continuously mentioning your experience on DRF is like walking into someone's home dragging mud on your feet. Sooner or later someone you knocked heads with will see it and you will drag that whole scene in here. Enough with the DRF ok?.

twindouble
09-28-2005, 03:41 PM
one thing.

Continuously mentioning your experience on DRF is like walking into someone's home dragging mud on your feet. Sooner or later someone you knocked heads with will see it and you will drag that whole scene in here. Enough with the DRF ok?.

I don't believe I was the one that started on the DRF in this thread but anyway I agree with your last post.

Good luck,

T.D.

Vegas711
09-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Here's a question for the board: if you were given a choice of making $50,000/year at the track or $100,000 a year in the working world, what would you choose?

IMO, it would be easy and it wouldn't be the working world.

ABSOLUTELY!

I would choose $ 30,000 at the track over $ 100,000 in the real world.

The real world is full of back stabbers and people who expect you to work for nothing, God forbid if you where to make a profit.I have owned a service business for almost 20 years. There is no loyality at all, you can provide outstanding service , never get a complaint, but the minute another company under bids you the contract is terminated.The stress level never subsides.

Next year I am going to turn to full time professional play. The stress level will be a lot less than it is now.People sometimes forget that when you are in business for yourself that you are taking gambles sometimes huge ones. Should I spend $ 15,000 on this piece of equipment or wait, if I do will I get a good return on it, if I wait will this cost me revenue.... its all a gamble with pressures.

andicap
09-29-2005, 09:50 AM
TD,

Where did you live before New England -- Not to cast aspersions on our friendly NEers on the board, but much (not all) of the region is notorious for being highly provincial. If you're not at least 2nd generation (or more) in the area you're nobody.

I speak from experience. Had a close friend live in West Roxbury in Boston. He moved up there from NYC in early 90s -- great guy. outgoing, funny, friendly, down-to-earth, early 30s at the time, Irish (Duffy, how much more Irish can you be?), charming wife, cute kid. Had a million friends in NY and moved for a job.

Make it short, moves to Boston -- no one in his neighborhood would even talk to him. I saw first-hand some of the stuff that went on when I visited him and I was shocked. I have stories I wont bore people with but well, that's New England (or some of it). I moved to New Rochelle 5 years ago -- not the friendlest town, but within 6 months had made two good friends on the block.

He recently moved back to Buffalo where he went to college. Making lots of friends.

Valuist
09-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Vegas-

I agree completely. I guess the other way of looking at it would be how much money would one have to make in the working world to give up $50K a year at the track. $100,000 definitely wouldn't be worth it. $250,000 might be too tough to pass up. You could work for a while at that level and then quit and go back to the track.

twindouble
09-29-2005, 10:24 AM
TD,

Where did you live before New England -- Not to cast aspersions on our friendly NEers on the board, but much (not all) of the region is notorious for being highly provincial. If you're not at least 2nd generation (or more) in the area you're nobody.

I speak from experience. Had a close friend live in West Roxbury in Boston. He moved up there from NYC in early 90s -- great guy. outgoing, funny, friendly, down-to-earth, early 30s at the time, Irish (Duffy, how much more Irish can you be?), charming wife, cute kid. Had a million friends in NY and moved for a job.

Make it short, moves to Boston -- no one in his neighborhood would even talk to him. I saw first-hand some of the stuff that went on when I visited him and I was shocked. I have stories I wont bore people with but well, that's New England (or some of it). I moved to New Rochelle 5 years ago -- not the friendlest town, but within 6 months had made two good friends on the block.

He recently moved back to Buffalo where he went to college. Making lots of friends.

Andicap; The funny part is I've lived here in MA all my life as a matter of fact all I did was move from Pittsfield to Lenox just 4 or 5 min from the line.

I can understand people wanting to protect their turf, human nature but when Lenox went for school choice to protect their jobs as result of what I said, "young people could afford to stay here", they got the students but they are still rejects when it come to the natives unless they are dam good athletes. My analogy to the forums borders on school choice and turf protecting, it seems to me those that were in on the forum from the get go are more apt to reject new commers for silly reasons and will throw out negitive things to get them to leave. I concider myself a handicapper but I don't just handicap the races, we tend to incorperate many things. I just have a tough time getting across my thoughts in this medium.

To support what your saying, I spent some time in Fla, didn't care for the climate but I was better recieved there than I was here and did make friends in a short time. There's nothing better in my opinion to feel welcomed regardless of were you go but most people today have burnt up the wecome matt and would rather greet you with sour puss or a verbal bat. :lol:

PA may send this to the somewhere else, that's OK.

Thanks for responing.

T.D.