PDA

View Full Version : Radio Transmitters on the Tracks at Belmont?

fouroneone
09-24-2005, 05:50 PM
I am wondering if it is for breeeders cup, or for a new timing system.

Along each track 3 or 4 transmitters have been set up about every 1/16 of a mile. They are white and look to be about 4 feet tall. They are clearly visible on the camera when the horses are coming out of the last turn.

Anyone have any ideas what they are for?

Suff
09-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I am wondering if it is for breeeders cup, or for a new timing system.

Along each track 3 or 4 transmitters have been set up about every 1/16 of a mile. They are white and look to be about 4 feet tall. They are clearly visible on the camera when the horses are coming out of the last turn.

Anyone have any ideas what they are for?

No. But if they are what I think your talking about you can see it in this picture.

Just to the right of the Furlong marker. White, about 4 feet tall.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/gallery/2005_PaceAdvantage_Saratoga_Getaway/29_lightened

john spencer
09-25-2005, 05:26 AM
not sure exactly but what you describe sounds like it may be adaptable for recording the sectionals of a race . in australia some of the major tracks have sensors buried in the track whereby an electronic transmitter is embedded in the saddlecloth . the racing club is able to then publish the exact sectional times of each and every runner as they pass over the sensor. the picture suff diplayed looked like it might be a similar above ground version. hope this helps.

John

Storm Cadet
09-25-2005, 12:26 PM
What makes you think that these are not the established light sensor beam standards that have been in place for years at NYRA tracks for timing?

I've been to BEL and I did not see anything new...the timing things are in their normal places by each 1/2 furlong marker. :confused:

BillW
09-25-2005, 12:40 PM
not sure exactly but what you describe sounds like it may be adaptable for recording the sectionals of a race . in australia some of the major tracks have sensors buried in the track whereby an electronic transmitter is embedded in the saddlecloth . the racing club is able to then publish the exact sectional times of each and every runner as they pass over the sensor. the picture suff diplayed looked like it might be a similar above ground version. hope this helps.

John

Triangulation would be necessary to do this. A single point receiver would have extreme difficulty inh doing this. SC's explanation seems a lot more likely.

Tom
09-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Parking meters for my horses when they "stop" in the stretch???:D

Gravestones for my horses that "died" there? :rolleyes:

Storm Cadet
09-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Your right...these new things were just installed within the past days! I saw them today on TVG. They are grouped together in 4's around the track. Now I have NO IDEA what they can be? :confused:

highnote
09-26-2005, 05:26 PM
They could be transmitters or receivers for TV cameras for the Breeders' Cup. Maybe there will be a moving camera for some special effect shots?

fouroneone
01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
they seem to have appeared now at Gulfstream.

We have many more members now, so anyone care to guess at what they are?

They are at aqueduct too, but not nearly as numerous as at BEL or GUL

Zman179
01-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I always thought that they were poles holding the sensors for the teletimer system. They've been there for quite a long time, so it's not new.