PDA

View Full Version : Rome on HBO

DrugSalvastore
09-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Has anyone been following this big new series of HBO's?

I think it's been an awesome series so far!

Julius Ceaser and Pompeii are at war right now. Pretty good stuff. HBO hit a home run with this one!

Dick Schmidt
09-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Well done as far as it goes. As usual, Hollywood can't get the Roman mindset correct, giving everyone modern motives for their actions, but the "look and feel" of the sets are right on. Chances are no one would watch if they made it any more authentic; there were no "good guys" in Rome. Think of the world run by the Mafia in which wars are waged for profit and you have it about right.
Dick

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords"
-Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus

DrugSalvastore
09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Well done as far as it goes. As usual, Hollywood can't get the Roman mindset correct, giving everyone modern motives for their actions, but the "look and feel" of the sets are right on. Chances are no one would watch if they made it any more authentic

From what I understand, the background events and major characters are all historical, and the tension between the various factions is accurate.

There a few nitpicky details such as the death of Caeser's daughter Julia. The series starts showing her death at the same time as the surrender of Vercingetox....when in fact she died a few years earlier. Also, from what I understand, Caeser was no co-council with Pompeii.

Still, a real KICK ASS show that I enjoy watching every week.

I think the last one could have done without Octavian being forced into eating the bull testicals by his mother---and no doubt we all could have done without seeing that nude shot of Mark Anothony. Still, I love the edgy ways of the show.

I wish I could have lived in Rome 2,100 years ago---it sounds like a lot more fun time than today. It was okay to live on your animal instincts back than, today we live in a culture where men have to act like sissy boys....or else they go to jail.