PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! Harness Racing

andicap
05-17-2001, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately I find myself in the position of going to the harness races on Friday night. Does anyone have any tips -- no wiseass remarks please -- for having fun there. Its Yonkers Raceway with opportunities to bet on simulcast races.

Was it in Animal House where one charactor said, "My advice to you: drink heavily."

andicap

Larry Hamilton
05-17-2001, 01:52 PM
Here's a thought for playing blindly. Fav's win 1 in 3 in all kinds of racing? Is this true--I dont know, but if it is, and the entire odds scale is evenly distributed, you could play all favorites at 2:1 and up.

JimG
05-17-2001, 02:45 PM
Andy:

In my limited harness experience, it is more a game of position than flats. In other words saving ground is extremely important, especially on 5/8 or 1/2 mile courses.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can expand on the subject.

Jim

Larry Hamilton
05-17-2001, 02:54 PM
well, I just tested my off the cuff suggestion and its full of beans (at least for TBs). First the favorites are less than 2:1 occur almost 3 times as often as favorites above 2:1. The fav's less than 2:1 win about 38% and 24% above 2:1. The ROIs were 1.66 for 2 bucks and 1.62 for two bucks..another wild goose chase...or as Rosanadanadan used to say-"Never mind"

ceejay
05-17-2001, 03:24 PM
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....

I played Yonkers (and RR). Post position was huge. In fact, I think that's how they used to make "handicap" races. Don't know if they still do.

I pretty much played class (earnings per start this year). Those horses run every 7-14 days so there's plenty of data.

When in doubt I boxed the 1-2-3!

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2001, 06:09 PM
Melman, who posts on here every now and then, knows of a free harness sheet website which in his opinion is of excellent quality. I have forgotten the websites name, but if he sees this, maybe he will point you to it...

==PA

Figman
05-17-2001, 07:17 PM
I hope you are not going to see live Yonkers harness races Friday night. They have cancelled all Fridays through June 1st because of a lack of harness entries.

Tom
05-17-2001, 08:27 PM
www.ustrotting.com/handicapping/pandolfo/pandy.cfm

http://www.kimstarr.org/

Both these site offer free articles on the sport and free selections (very good ones) on a few tracks.
Great articles by Bob Pandolpho.

Trackmaster has some harness stuff you can download
including PP's with speed figures, and Pandy has a program that sounds good from some emails I have read
(never personally sen it, but Pandy is well known for a lot of years in both TB's and pacers).
Tom

andicap
05-17-2001, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Figman
I hope you are not going to see live Yonkers harness races Friday night. They have cancelled all Fridays through June 1st because of a lack of harness entries.

Now that's the best tip I've gotten in a long time. Track dining room is closed tomorrow night so no go. That was a close call.

Thanks everyone for all the responses

andicap