PDA

View Full Version : Stan Bergstein Column on DRF

Suff
09-21-2005, 12:56 AM
Very nice short piece by Mr Bergstein over at DRF.

Hovdey has a piece on the new track in New Mexico so you get two for one if your interested in that.

I really enjoyed Bergstiens column and I recommend it to you if have 5 minutes.

I snipped a couple of paragraphs.

"For a sport once called the Sport of Kings," Mr. Buehler began, "it may now be better known as the Sport of Kinks. From trying to get hold of something nobody else has or something they do not yet have a test for, horsemanship in the real sense is basically dead. No longer is it about taking care of your horses and getting them to be their best. Currently it is a case of butchering horses at a tremendous rate, getting as much as you can as fast as you can at whatever the cost to horse and industry."

He wrote: "I have been stabled besides big barns many times, and some of the horses these stables lead over to run I would not even have entered. They are sore, sour and to me should not be asked to run. But these horses go over and you can't beat them. They don't come out of their stalls for days after the race, but for that half an hour every ten days or two weeks all their problems disappear. I can't achieve that with my horses."

andicap
09-21-2005, 09:38 AM
One complaint I have with DRF is that if you sign up for the Daily Plan or the Single Card plan you don't get access to the handicapping columns and other premium material.

I know they are trying to induce people to subscribe to longer plans and business is business so I guess I can't blame them.
Still it's annoying.

Tom
09-21-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree - you get article if you buy one paper form, but screwed unless you get a monthly on line plan.

mhrussell
09-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Andi-

Yes, that was a key reason I dropped DRF years ago.. you buy the online PPs and yet you do not get the articles! The print customers get both! Why is that?

But, I don't mean to 'beat a dead horse' re: DRF... I have been happy with BRIS and PTS... and I can get all the great racing news I'm interested in elsewhere.
:p

highnote
09-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe they should put the ads in online PDF versions. So the purchaser would see the ads when they handicapped on their monitor or if they printed them out. Then they could allow purchasers to read the articles.

Tom
09-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Not me---I'd stop DRF altogheter...entirely too much advertising.

Thier site is bad enough - very poorly constructed, don't need to clog up something I PAY for as well.