PDA

View Full Version : Hardly surprising when you open a can of worms

46zilzal
09-18-2005, 05:48 PM
It said Saudi Arabia had interrogated dozens of Saudi militants who either returned from Iraq or were caught at the border. "One important point was the number who insisted that they were not militants before the Iraq war," it said.

"The vast majority of Saudi militants who entered Iraq were not terrorist sympathizers before the war, and were radicalized almost exclusively by the coalition invasion," the study said.

Backing up their claim, 85 percent of those interrogated were not on any watch list of known militants, the study said. Most came from the west, south or center of Saudi Arabia, often from middle class families of prominent conservative tribes.

GameTheory
09-18-2005, 06:08 PM
This point has been argued a lot so I won't bother with that. But I have a tangential question: why is this phenomenon presented as if this is our failing? What is the message here -- that we shouldn't decide our course of action by what is right and what is wrong but by whether it is going to piss off some people? Anything that upsets the Saudis is therefore "bad"?

JustRalph
09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Moving them to become terrorists.......may be a good thing

kill them now..........or kill them later..........does it really matter........?

lsbets
09-18-2005, 07:32 PM
You got it right Ralph. If they're going to do it, they're going to do it. It's kind of like the "Ozzy made my kid commit suicide thing." Err, wrong - if you're nuts, you're nuts. Kill them now so we don't have to later.

boxcar
09-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Moving them to become terrorists.......may be a good thing

kill them now..........or kill them later..........does it really matter........?

Using the "logic" of "libs" (an oxymoron if there ever was one), it would be insane to fumigate or use pesticides of any kind to rid a house of its bug infestation. For as most here would know, bugs will literally come crawling out of the woodwork once they're "provoked" by a human attack. It would be better to have the bugs for roomates, if we are to give credence to this inane lib-based argument.

Those Saudis who "insisted" that they were all good boys before we invaded Iraq, and use our invasion as a legit reason for their current bad behavior are entirely disingenious. The fact is they never had any great love for Americans -- but even more generally for the Infidels of Western Civilizaton because all "infidels" pose a strong threat to the culture and religion of Islam. Therefore, they'll use anything as an excuse to jump into the fray because the last thing they want to see is a Westernized Iraq -- right smak dab in the middle of the Middle East -- in their own neighbohood!

More evidence of their duplicity can be seen in the fact that they're not only killing Americans, but they are murdering their fellow Muslims in droves! Most Iraqis welcome the U.S. and her allies in their country. Most. The religious whackos, however, cannot let their fellow Muslims continue to feel this way and turn a "sympathetic ear" to Democratic Rule. They must, at all costs, be dissuaded from supporting a democratic form of government. Why? Because Islam and Democracy are incompatible. Oh, yes, both can exist together, but not co-equally. One will become the Master of the Other. Look at Turkey and its secular govenment. This arrangment is anathema to a hardcore Muslim who believes in theocratic rule.

So...in answer to JR's rhetorical question: It's better to squash the life out the bugs now -- in their part of the world -- rather than in ours at some later date.

Boxcar

46zilzal
09-18-2005, 10:17 PM
This point has been argued a lot so I won't bother with that. But I have a tangential question: why is this phenomenon presented as if this is our failing? What is the message here --

No message just an interesting finding that's all. No agenda here.

funny I just lost 6 reputation points for simply re-producing an interesting finding from the news. Go figure.

GameTheory
09-18-2005, 10:56 PM

funny I just lost 6 reputation points for simply re-producing an interesting finding from the news. Go figure.So you are just a news-posting robot? You aren't a human being? There is ALWAYS a motive for posting. If you can't figure yourself out, ask your analyst, but for most of us the motive is rather transparent...

46zilzal
09-18-2005, 11:00 PM
So you are just a news-posting robot? You aren't a human being? There is ALWAYS a motive for posting. If you can't figure yourself out, ask your analyst, but for most of us the motive is rather transparent...
you mean that the whole war is making things worse not better?

Yup suppose that might be PART of it

Tom
09-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I had a bees nest in the ground. Saw it last week, near dusk. Lots of bees goiing in fo rthe night.

I decide to ignore it and steer clear.
Two days later, I get stung sitting on my deck. Dropped my beer.
Didnt' kill me, pissed me off, though.

I waited until dark, went out and stuck the hose in the hole, filled it up.
Nextday, the bees were still there, but now, when I came near the hole, more came out and buzzed at me. I retreated.
NExt night, I sprayed with over-the counter-foam stuff. Next moring, they still are there, and now, they have backed my up to the porch. I open the back door, they are there, buzzing around. I goot use the fron door to get to my car.
So I call in an exterminator. He goes out there, walks through the ones buzzing, gives me a can and tells me spray anything hthat moves. I do and they drop like flies! One it from this commercial grade spray and bang!
He takes out the nest with some heavy duty crap - fins a back hole to boot. Then he put two cones into the holes- sticky stuff on one side, and lays fly paper stuff on the ground the holes.
The next day, nothing buzzing. Dead bees everywhere - the cones and sheets are completelry caoted with dead bees. The guy comes back and we take a shovel to the nest, totally destroy it and bury it with fresh dirt.
Then he hands me a few of his business cards and tells me."The ones we didn't get will nest somewhere else. If your neighbors have problems, give them on of these. You're covered the rest of the year - they come back, so do I."

So many lessons in this parable relate to terrorism....
You can't ignore them.
You can't live with them around.
You can't just kill a few of them.
You can't kill them easily - you need to bring out the big guns.
You have to kill them where the live. Go for the nest.
You will never get all of them. Some will pop up elsewhere.
When they do, be prepared to attack them again. They will cross borders and regroup. Be ready to help your neighbors erradicate them.

Next time I see a bee, I bring out the nukes.
They are always bees, and they will eventually always be a problem.
You can't negotiate with bees.

lsbets
09-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Tom,

You took the wrong approach. You should have attempted to understand the bees. What did they want? Why were they in your yard? How had you provoked them? After all, it must have been your presence that caused them to be a problem. You wouldn't have gotten stung if you didn't provoke them. This was all your fault. The bees were not a threat to you until you made them a threat. Your decision to act quickly and decisively was based on a false assertion that these bees constituted an imminent threat. Even though you never said imminent, we could all see it there in your post. If only you had acted differently Tom, all those innocent bees would not have died.

boxcar
09-18-2005, 11:26 PM

No agenda! Yeah right! The only thing "interesting" about the "finding" is that those Saudi whackos get their excuses from Lib talking points.

Libs and terrorists are soul mates but, sadly, you don't even realize it.

Boxcar

Tom
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Tom,

You took the wrong approach. You should have attempted to understand the bees. What did they want? Why were they in your yard? How had you provoked them? After all, it must have been your presence that caused them to be a problem. You wouldn't have gotten stung if you didn't provoke them. This was all your fault. The bees were not a threat to you until you made them a threat. Your decision to act quickly and decisively was based on a false assertion that these bees constituted an imminent threat. Even though you never said imminent, we could all see it there in your post. If only you had acted differently Tom, all those innocent bees would not have died.

I'm a baaad boy!

schweitz
09-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Tom,

You took the wrong approach. You should have attempted to understand the bees. What did they want? Why were they in your yard? How had you provoked them? After all, it must have been your presence that caused them to be a problem. You wouldn't have gotten stung if you didn't provoke them. This was all your fault. The bees were not a threat to you until you made them a threat. Your decision to act quickly and decisively was based on a false assertion that these bees constituted an imminent threat. Even though you never said imminent, we could all see it there in your post. If only you had acted differently Tom, all those innocent bees would not have died. :lol: :lol:

ljb
09-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Tom,
Long story made short. I had a bees nest in the ground, I zapped them. No sting, no dropped beer, no problem.

ljb
09-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Tom,
My neighbor on the other hand got stung by a bee as he was drinking a beer on his deck. He chased the bee with a can of bee spray. The bee flew high into a tree. My neighbor looked for a while but could not find the hive. (If was hid well in the highest branches of the tree).
My neighbor then spotted another bee hive located near his deck and his cooler full of beer. He gathered up his bee spray and got the boy down the street to attack this hive. Told the lad if he didn't attack the bees on his deck pretty soon he would have to be attacking them on his own deck. The lad enthusiatically attacked the bees getting stung profusely. He had to call in other boys from the neighborhood to assist him in the attack. Many young fellows from the neighborhood went home with numerous stings and suffering in pain. The neighbor meanwhile sat comfortably in his den watching football and drinking beer from his private stash. The neighborhood boys finally captured the queen bee and thought the battle was won. They reported to the beer drinking man in the house. Mission accomplished, but alas, there were more bees still hovering on the deck. Seems they had messaged the bees in the tree and those bees were now attacking the boys. Well the boys are still getting stung and the neighbor is still in the house drinking beer and watching football. Will this ever end? :bang: :bang: :bang: Stay tuned. :D

boxcar
09-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Will this ever end? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Only after all those bees find you and put you out of your misery.

Boxcar

ljb
09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Only after all those bees find you and put you out of your misery.

Boxcar
Again I must say I appreciate your brief responses. However next time try to make sense. :D :D :D