PDA

View Full Version : Philippe and Rita...Tropics very active

BetHorses!
09-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Water Temps in the Atlantic are at their highest on record and this is the time of year historically when the strongest hurricanes develop. TD 17 should become Trop Storm Philippe very soon and will be with us for the next couple of weeks and will prob become a major hurricane with alot of warm ocean water ahead of it.

And a disturbance NE of Puerto Rico is forecasted to become a storm also...Rita

Stay tuned

BetHorses!
09-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Good News - Bad News

Philippe is not expected to threaten the U.S.

Rita which is not a named storm as of this post but shows some solid deep convection might threaten the Florida Keys in a couple of days. Hurricane Watch has already been posted.

lsbets
09-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Bet - two questions:

1) What happenned to the Q? Do they not name storms with a Q?

2) If the storm passes over the keys or south Florida and goes into the Gulf, at what point can they predict if it turns north or heads west to Mexico?

Tom
09-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Ironic if.....Mayor SFB gets everyone BACK into the city just in time for the NEXT hit! Do they come any dumber than this guy?

doophus
09-18-2005, 11:07 PM
The 3 day cone projection chart on Rita show it located mid-Gulf and churning. Next weekend may cause more anxiety in the Gulf states. :bang:

87octane has dropped a couple of cents lately, but don't expect much if any more decreases for a few days.

Tuesday's forecast hi is 99deg. I don't recall getting to late September and NOT having even one front that would bring some cooler temps for a few days. Something better change or we won't be skiing on Mt Loozanna this year. :D

BetHorses!
09-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Bet - two questions:

1) What happenned to the Q? Do they not name storms with a Q?

2) If the storm passes over the keys or south Florida and goes into the Gulf, at what point can they predict if it turns north or heads west to Mexico?

No names for "Q", "U", and "Z". The names may be French, Spanish or English since these are the major languages bordering the Atlantic Ocean where the storms occur.

Question 2 is more complicated, I copied the following from Accuweather.com

A strong upper-level ridge of high pressure building over Texas will extend east across the Gulf of Mexico and we feel that this will keep Rita on a general westerly track across the southern Gulf of Mexico Wednesday and Thursday. Models seem to be split later in the week between a westward moving hurricane making landfall along the upper Mexican coast as opposed to a northwest moving hurricane making landfall in Texas. The models that go for the southern track keep the upper level ridge strong over Texas, while the models that favor the northwest track break down the Texas ridge and shift it east. The strength and position of this upper level ridge will be key to where Rita makes landfall. All interests in South Florida, particularly in the Keys, as well as the southern Gulf and along the Texas and Mexican coasts should monitor the progress of Tropical Storm Rita. Rough surf, rip currents and minor beach erosion will be a threat through Tuesday along the East Coast Florida beaches, especially south of Cape Canaveral.

BetHorses!
09-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Ironic if.....Mayor SFB gets everyone BACK into the city just in time for the NEXT hit! Do they come any dumber than this guy?

Tom,

Two models "BAMM" and "BAMD" currently take RITA to NO. This guy is a genuine idiot.

Suff
09-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Tom,

Two models "BAMM" and "BAMD" currently take RITA to NO. This guy is a genuine idiot.

He has a meeting in the morning (monday) with the new FEMA chief, the EPA and the Center for Disease Control. They're going to put the brakes on his plans. Rita not withstanding, the issues are plentful. They range from no 911 service , to no potable water.

Its a double edge sword. He wants to get started on rebuilding llves and property vs being pragmatic about the extent of the carnage. It is uninhabitable to a large degree.

Rita is problem number two.. Problem number one is Philippe... if it does'nt grab a serious chunk of Florida Land to slow it down, then it may get out in the open sea and blow into Houston as a Hurricane 3.

boxcar
09-19-2005, 01:14 AM
He has a meeting in the morning (monday) with the new FEMA chief, the EPA and the Center for Disease Control. They're going to put the brakes on his plans. Rita not withstanding, the issues are plentful. They range from no 911 service , to no potable water.

Its a double edge sword. He wants to get started on rebuilding llves and property vs being pragmatic about the extent of the carnage. It is uninhabitable to a large degree.

Rita is problem number two.. Problem number one is Philippe... if it does'nt grab a serious chunk of Florida Land to slow it down, then it may get out in the open sea and blow into Houston as a Hurricane 3.

Don't bet on those "brakes". Mayor Tweedelee Dee has the final say -- by law.

This guy is a certified nut case. When his city was in the path of a very dangerous storm, he couldn't move slow enough. He lacked any sense of urgency. But now, he wants to throw all health cautions and practical consdiderations to the wind, in order to get his ghost town occupied yesterday! Unbelievable!

Boxcar

JustRalph
09-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Damn.......two more of these storms and who the hell knows what is going to be left of the gulf.........?

Ohio has never looked so good..............

BetHorses!
09-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Problem number one is Philippe... if it does'nt grab a serious chunk of Florida Land to slow it down, then it may get out in the open sea and blow into Houston as a Hurricane 3.

Philippe has a 90% of NOT affecting land except for Bermuda maybe.

Rita is a problem. Anyone in the Keys should just get out now. The Florida Keys now represent the number one most vulnerable area in the U.S. for loss of life from a Hurricane Strike now that Katrina has leveled New Orleans.

boxcar
09-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Damn.......two more of these storms and who the hell knows what is going to be left of the gulf.........?

Ohio has never looked so good..............

Yeah, I bet!

As far as the Gulf is concerned, it's very interesting listening to people's knee-jerk, emotional responses over where they don't hope any more storms hit. To a person everyone is saying they don't want any more storms to hit NO, specifically. But since they don't include all population centers in their hopes and wishes, then the implication is that if a storm were to hit a population center, any but NO would somehow be...better? But actually, the opposite would logically be the case, since NO has already been devastated by Katrina. Relatively speaking, there simply wouldn't very much new or added destruction to the existing damage another storm could cause, which certainly wouldn't be the case if any major storm were to hit another populated location.

Just for the record: My prayers and wishes are that all population centers of any significance be spared of any hurricanes.

Boxcar

BetHorses!
09-19-2005, 02:01 AM
No names for "Q", "U", and "Z".

Also no names for "X" and "Y" in the Atlantic

And in case you were wondering what happens when names run out:

In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on.

For the record I did not know and just researched it. Don't think it ever happened though.

CryingForTheHorses
09-19-2005, 06:00 PM
They have now issued a Mandatory Evacuation for the Keys and have a huricanne watch all the way to Palm Beach..After what Katrina did to S Florida while she waltzed here was scary for a Cat1 ,Yes I live in paradise but have to fear these big winds, Not sure what a storm surge would do to me in Hollywood but IF it was to become a Cat2 by the time it hits the keys, Im afraid a lot of people and buildings will be destroyed and flooded.There are also a lot of people who 'stick" it out..Im also afraid 1 day they may end up like N.O. These storms are to be taken seriously. As a kid in Canada we used to think "The Blizzard" was a big thing. Hope all in the area stay safe.

boxcar
09-19-2005, 06:12 PM
They have now issued a Mandatory Evacuation for the Keys and have a huricanne watch all the way to Palm Beach..After what Katrina did to S Florida while she waltzed here was scary for a Cat1 ,Yes I live in paradise but have to fear these big winds, Not sure what a storm surge would do to me in Hollywood but IF it was to become a Cat2 by the time it hits the keys, Im afraid a lot of people and buildings will be destroyed and flooded.There are also a lot of people who 'stick" it out..Im also afraid 1 day they may end up like N.O. These storms are to be taken seriously. As a kid in Canada we used to think "The Blizzard" was a big thing. Hope all in the area stay safe.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

I used to live in your general area -- in fact I did when Andrew struck Homestead. That was quite an experience even though we were about 40 miles removed from the eye.

How far inland are you? And are you in a FEMA-designated, high-risk flood zone?

Stay in touch,
Boxcar

CryingForTheHorses
09-19-2005, 06:30 PM
My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

I used to live in your general area -- in fact I did when Andrew struck Homestead. That was quite an experience even though we were about 40 miles removed from the eye.

How far inland are you? And are you in a FEMA-designated, high-risk flood zone?

Stay in touch,
Boxcar

Im above US1 and in between Hallandale Beach Blvd and Pembroke Rd, 5 minutes from Gulfstream,Have no idea how FEMA would work for me as I dont own a home.

boxcar
09-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Im above US1 and in between Hallandale Beach Blvd and Pembroke Rd, 5 minutes from Gulfstream,Have no idea how FEMA would work for me as I dont own a home.

Ahh...I know your area well. I used to live about 15 min. from GP.

At any rate, I hope you never have to find out how FEMA would work for you.

Regards,
Boxcar

Tom
09-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Good luck Tom.

:ThmbUp:

linrom1
09-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Ahh...I know your area well. I used to live about 15 min. from GP.

At any rate, I hope you never have to find out how FEMA would work for you.

Regards,
Boxcar

Not all FEMA guys are bad, one of the top guys after Andrew hit South Dade used spend all of his time at Hialeah.

BetHorses!
09-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Rita is getting bigger and stronger every hour. The Keys are in for a nasty storm unfortunately. Long range outlook has shifted to Texas for a second landfall.

lsbets
09-19-2005, 11:17 PM
I saw on the news they were talking the Galveston/Houston area. THe good news is, Houston is not vulnerable like New Orleans. The bad news is all the evacuees from NO who are in Houston are going to start thinking hurricanes are following them.

doophus
09-19-2005, 11:26 PM
I saw on the news they were talking the Galveston/Houston area. THe good news is, Houston is not vulnerable like New Orleans. The bad news is all the evacuees from NO who are in Houston are going to start thinking hurricanes are following them.Yep, just this morning all 5day projections showed Corpus Christi and west. Tonight, it looks more like Galveston/Houston. Tomorrow, who knows? Another 50-75mi east of Galveston puts another group of refineries and chemical plants in jeopardy. Ugh, natural gas might be $30 this winter.