PDA

View Full Version : Taking a road trip to Keeneland

Rico8812
09-14-2005, 11:53 PM
The wife and I are taking a cross country trip and we are going to time it so we can hit opening day at Keeneland. I'm a NY'er and have never been to Kentucky.

Anyone have any advice? Hotels near the track? Good restaurants? I'll probably arrive the day before and check out the KY Horse Park. Any advice for this also?

Thanks!

Overlay
09-15-2005, 12:14 AM
I lived in Lexington for seven years, but have been away for ten, so I'll yield to those with more current knowledge of lodging and restaurants. However, I feel obligated to put in a plug for Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Lexington Green just south of New Circle Road and north of Lexington Mall on Nicholasville Road (at the "six-o'clock" position on New Circle Road). If they're still as I remember them, they had the most extensive variety of books on horse racing and handicapping I've seen aside from Gambler's Book Club in Las Vegas. I also recall The News Stand on the northeast portion of New Circle Road as the best source for Daily Racing Forms and other racing/handicapping publications (again, if they haven't changed). I hope you have the time to just cruise the roads between Lexington (in Fayette County) and Paris (in Bourbon County), soaking up the Bluegrass ambience, with the miles of white-fenced horse farms.

You'll love Keeneland. Wish I could be there myself!

Overlay
09-15-2005, 03:44 AM
Correction to that last post: Lexington Green (where Joseph-Beth Booksellers is located) is just north of Fayette Mall (not Lexington Mall) on Nicholasville Road. (Lexington Mall is over on the southeast side of town at Richmond Road and New Circle Road.) (Sorry for the error. It's terrible to get old. The memory is the second thing that goes.) :bang:

Fred
09-15-2005, 06:57 AM
My favorite for Keeneland

Crowne Plaza Hotel
LEXINGTON-THE CAMPBELL HOUSE
1375 HARRODSBURG RD
LEXINGTON, KY 40504
UNITED STATES
Tel: 1-859-2554281
Fax: 1-859-2544368
Email: mmolloy@thecampbellhouse.net
Check-In Time: 4:00 PM
Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM

Local Time: 6:52 AM EDT

WELCOME

The Campbell House, Lexington's newest Crowne Plaza Hotel has always been known as one of Lexington's premier hotels, embodying the spirit and meaning of southern hospitality. Proudly featuring close proximity to first class golfing, Thoroughbred racing, downtown, hospitals and the University of Kentucky-all in a setting that reflects the character and tradition of one of the area's most attractive hotels.

We are conveniently located at 1375 Harrodsburg Road Lexington, Ky. 40504.

Amenities

Indoor Pool
High-speed Internet Access
Iron / Ironing Board
Coffee Maker
Health/Fitness Center On-Site
Hairdryer
A/C Public Areas
Directions / Map

Hotel Features

291 Guest Rooms
26 Suites
247 Non-Smoking Rooms
176 Double-Bedded Rooms
87 Single-Bedded Rooms
Downtown/City Center
2004 Last Renovation Date
3 Floors
2 Restaurants
Personal Services

A/C Public Areas
Baby-Sitting
Dry Cleaning Pickup/Laundry
Gift Shop
Ice Machine
Porter/Bellman
Room Service
Safety Deposit Box available at Front Desk
Business Services

Copying
E-mail & Internet
Executive Suites
Facsimile
PC
Printer
Unstaffed Business Center
Parking Information

Number of Parking Spaces: 300
Complimentary Parking
Complimentary on site parking available including handicap accessible parking spaces near the entrance.
Downtown Information

KEENELAND RACE COURSE (4 MI/ 6.44 KM )

Freddy

Overlay
09-15-2005, 08:32 AM
One more note for a horse racing fan: If you're into used books, Glover's Bookery at 862 South Broadway near downtown has an extensive collection of used titles on racing and handicapping.

eclecticapper
09-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Since there was a similar thread last fall, I thought I'd include the link here: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15162&highlight=keeneland

Note that this year UK's football team is on the road during Keeneland's opening weekend, so at least you won't have to worry about that. I think most of the info in the old thread is still relevant, especially the part about bringing a camera.

OTM Al
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM
I'll second that about Joseph-Beth. One of the better bookstores I've ever been in. My ex-wife grew up on Nicholasville Rd, so I was in that area quite a bit, though unfortuantely I had not become a horse racing fan yet (had to come to NYC to have that happen ironically)

the little guy
09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Make sure to call at least one farm in advance to get a morning tour. I recommend Claiborne, which is about 20 minutes east of Lexington ( in Paris ) as they are usually good about tours and it's a great place with a lot of history. At the very least drive some of the Pikes and just check out the horse farms at least from the road. The Paris Pike is probably as good as any for this but the whole area is great.

I recommend staying downtown....either the Hyatt or the Radisson.

Oh yeah...yer from NY? The food sucks in Lexington. Dudley's is probably the safest ( A la Lucy is OK as well ). But, ya know, everything is relative.

NYBred
09-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Jospeh-Beth is a phenomenal bookstore and I agree that it's a must-see if you're in the area. They also have a pretty decent cafe that goes beyond the typical B&N/Border's- I believe it's a full menu and they have a liquor license.
I was in Lexington this spring, and the highlight for me was a visit to Midway. It's an easy drive from Lexington, and offers really spectacular scenery en route. The town itself has undergone a sort of renaissance, with a charming main street area with shops and restaurants flanking either side of a railroad track. We actually headed back to Midway after the races, mainly because the traffic was insane going towards Lexington; we had the best meal at one of the restaurants there- I think it was called the Depot- better than any place we went in the "city." There was also a very cool wine bar across the street.

Rico8812
09-15-2005, 11:42 AM
thanks guys...good advice!

dutzman
09-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Definitely go to Claiborne Farm. They are awesome with their tours and they have a very nive cemetary of champions buried there, Secretariat, Mr. Prospector, Riva Ridge, Gallant Fox, Bold Ruler and many others

Perilous
09-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Midway is a little town about ten/15 minutes from Keeneland. Its got some smaller cafe's "depot" being the most popular. Great for dinner and lunches, they do get busy because there really isn't very many nice places to eat.
A tour of one of the farms would be nice, pick a stallion you might want to see..(hill n dale, taylor made, three chimneys, calumet, lane's end..etc). In the morning they have a morning thing at keenelands, there are alot of tour companies around that will take you to some of the major places. Kentucky horse park is pretty awesome as well. All the roads are pretty nice with tons of great scenery.

Overlay
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Midway is a little town about ten/15 minutes from Keeneland. Its got some smaller cafe's "depot" being the most popular. Great for dinner and lunches, they do get busy because there really isn't very many nice places to eat.

Not to mention that it's the hometown of the late Hall-of-Fame trainer Woody Stephens. I wonder if they have any official recognition of that (such as a plaque or marker) anywhere in Midway.

Perilous
09-15-2005, 03:24 PM
I never saw one, I lived in Midway for almost a year, loved the town and everything. Plenty of job opportunities as well if you want a farm job, or sales job. Too bad they didn't have a racetrack that was better for actually training racehorses.

I think the best part of the area is actually the streets that you drive on daily, they are just beautiful at every season too. I had to go to several farms a day, and it was just awesome driving the streets and looking at some very nice farms, barns, houses, pastures..and horses!

NYBred
09-15-2005, 03:41 PM
A friend who lives in Midway took us to a farm that donated some paddock space to retired stallions as part of the Old Friends program. It was a very cool spot- paddocks on either side of the road, mares & foals on one side and the old guys on the other- if I remember correctly, I think Sunshine Forever was one, among others. Do you know the farm?

Rico8812
10-04-2005, 11:14 AM
bump for any last minute advice.

Leaving on my roadtrip tomorrow. Staying at the Rodeway Inn near Keeneland, and booked a morning tour of Claiborne Farm per the suggestion of the Little Guy. Any other Keeneland tips (besides play the inside speed)?

Thanks.

rrbauer
10-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Take advantage of the up-close-and-personal look at the horses in the saddling paddock and walking ring behind the grandstand.

Stay away from front speed on the turf course unless it is absolute lone-speed and can get away with a 1/2 in 50 or so.

Take a drive out past Keeneland towards Versailles and Frankfort to see some great farms.