PDA

View Full Version : Computer Start up

Tom
09-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Is there a website where I could find out what programs should be in my start up menu and which ones I can safely take out?
Everytime I start one machine, Media Player starts up a movie trailer and them Firefox starts up looking for some video site.

I hve about three times as many things starting up on one machine as the other one that works good.

betchatoo
09-14-2005, 01:12 AM
It's tough going through all the programs, but it's worth it

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

speculus
09-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Thanks a TRILLION!

Like Tom, I had always wondered about it but never thought there could be such help available on the topic. That's MIGHTY useful!

DJofSD
09-14-2005, 01:54 AM
Start -> Run -> msconfig

Turn off anything you don't want to run under the services and start up tabs. Click Apply. Reboot and when the prompt appears from msconfig due to the changes made prior to the boot, click on 'don't ask me again' and do not reboot.

You can experiment w/o fear of losing anything. You can always rerun msconfig and turn on the things you had turned off previously -- they don't get lost from the configuration list just because you disabled them.

Enjoy!

DJofSD

Kreed
09-14-2005, 07:30 AM
#1 ... Outlook Express is now NOT allowing me to open most Emails, especially
those with attachments. It says something like, "OE considers this Email
dangerous." Can I disable this annoying feature?

#2 ... My Google bar now contains over 75 Past Google queries. How can I
delete them all or just some?

qhrick
09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
#1 ... Outlook Express is now NOT allowing me to open most Emails, especially
those with attachments. It says something like, "OE considers this Email
dangerous." Can I disable this annoying feature?

#2 ... My Google bar now contains over 75 Past Google queries. How can I
delete them all or just some?

in OE, tools/options/security and uncheck the "do not allow attachements..." box, click apply. Done

Tom
09-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Wow. Great site. Thanks.

I find it hard to use logic on a system that makes you hit the START BUTTON to STOP it.:bang:

headhawg
09-14-2005, 09:00 PM
So Tom, have you already pre-ordered Windows Vista? :lol:

BillW
09-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Wow. Great site. Thanks.

I find it hard to use logic on a system that makes you hit the START BUTTON to STOP it.:bang:

I was once told by a friend that msconfig was misspelled too - they left out an "i". :D

Tom
09-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh, a couple of wiseguys, eh?

SPeard Out! *boink*:D

nkuk nkuk nkuk!

DJofSD
09-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Tom, just a couple of computer truths to live by: on a clear disk you can seek forever, and, all computers wait at the same speed.

DJ

Hosshead
09-15-2005, 02:23 AM
I've got one Startup Item where the box is checked, but there is no name.
The Start Up Item Column is blank and so is the Command Column,
- there is a location listed (same location as most other Startup Items).
Can't look this one up on the list. Safe to delete ?

DJofSD
09-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Don't know -- I've got one like that too. Maybe some one else will know more about it.

DJ

JustRalph
09-15-2005, 01:45 PM
turn it off........It won't hurt anything too bad.......sometimes the blanks are spyware..........if something doesn't work.......restart and turn it back on? Usually no big deal. even if you have to do it in safe mode..........

I found one weird Item.........right after I got an email from Tom........

http://www.columbuscool.com/wipe_toms.jpg

BillW
09-15-2005, 03:23 PM
turn it off........It won't hurt anything too bad.......sometimes the blanks are spyware..........if something doesn't work.......restart and turn it back on? Usually no big deal. even if you have to do it in safe mode..........

I found one weird Item.........right after I got an email from Tom........

http://www.columbuscool.com/wipe_toms.jpg

Tom, their out to get you :eek: :lol:

Tom
09-15-2005, 09:00 PM
I've always said that you weren't paranoid if they really were out to get you!:D

DJofSD
09-15-2005, 11:36 PM
"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line, the man comes and takes your away."

60's flashback.

DJ

Hosshead
09-16-2005, 02:06 AM
"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line, the man comes and takes your away."

60's flashback.

DJThat song was "For What It's Worth" -by The Buffalo Springfield
One day (within the last 10 yrs), I was driving out in the desert (Ca. to Ariz.), and saw this funny looking rv/bus, that looked like a giant redwood tree.
As I got closer, I could see the words "Buffalo Springfield" on it.
We both got off the interstate at the same exit. They went directly to the General Patton Museum. I went to Jack In The Box.