PDA

View Full Version : Blogs

Valuist
09-13-2005, 09:42 AM
I admit I never heard of this word until about 6 months ago but I basically started doing a racing blog a year ago and it is a source of many good bets, and bet againsts. I keep it simple; basically just a sentence or two about my thoughts on a race. Some examples are:

Sar 4th-race loaded with early speed; strong field for class
Elp 5th- poor field even for weak class level; bunched field
AP 1st- decent Mdn claimer; 4 drop downs
Elp 8th- hard 3 way duel; field strung out

Sometimes I may just assign a letter grade to a race. Basically anything to help me remember a race that happened a while back. Its not that much work but really pays dividends.

toetoe
09-13-2005, 09:44 AM
V.,

Do you post it somewhere? Do you revisit it after the races?

Valuist
09-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Just in a notebook. I keep it in my office where I watch the races. I'll revisit it when I'm going thru the DRF and trying to get a clearer picture of the pps.

headhawg
09-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Not to be a stickler, but the definition of "blog" from Webopedia is:

(n.) Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.

So technically if it's not on a web page it's just a personal notebook/journal.

An example of a blog is Randy Giles' at PaceAppraiser, although not too many people make comments. Good info though.

BillW
09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
V,

There are sites that will host blogs for free. A google search ought to lead you there.

Bill

JustMissed
09-13-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.technorati.com

This is kinda like a google just for blogs.

You can search for "horseracing handicapping" and get all sorts of handicapping blogs.

JM

kingfin66
09-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Valuist,

They are correct about Blogs. What you are doing is basically a journal where you indicate your Reason Why you are making the bet. Nothing wrong with taht at all...

sealord
09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Any chance you're going to AP Sunday for closing day? Me and the wifey will be there in case you want to grab a beer.
-Jeff

Valuist
09-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Some chance I'll be there but on NFL Sunday I'm usually at home w/the clicker going between the NFL and TVG.

Dan Montilion
09-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Valuist,

Seeing how the fine posters above have pointed out that you should be calling your notebook a journal instead of a blog, I really think you should give back the money won and or saved from your notes.

Dan Montilion

headhawg
09-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Dan,

I am assuming from the "tone" of your post that you believe that people made somewhat negative responses to Valuist's post. Quite the contrary. I only brought up the definition of a blog because, perhaps like others here, I assumed from his post that Valuist actually had a real blog that was accessible to the public. I would have been quite interested in seeing what notes have been recorded.

HH

Dan Montilion
09-13-2005, 04:03 PM
H-Hawg,

Point taken.

Dan