PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Marching

Kreed
09-13-2005, 07:46 AM
How many have seen "March of the Penguins"? It's very good, but I'm reading
where "THE RIGHT" claims it shows intelligent design & love of the family unit.
Where do they find such conclusions? #1, the movie clearly says each year, as the emperor penguins hunt for females, they find NEW ones, and do NOT stay
with last year's model. So much for monogamy. At a very early age, after much support, the youngens are sent away to enjoy life, sans parents. And,
no, the kids don't cell phone home, not even at Christmas. #2, Imprinting and
Gene Expression --- both imply rigid, non-changing, persistent behavior do NOT
require any references to a GOD. Darwin's evolotion ideas are real clear.
If you want to throw your hat into this, go see the movie & check out a Right
web site: www.lionsofgod.com (http://www.lionsofgod.com).

OTM Al
09-13-2005, 09:23 AM
I saw the movie here in NYC at the Angelica this summer. I thought it was really a wonderful film. I'm glad they did the narration by Morgan Freeman rather than just going with the original script as it was the penguins talking to each other....oh well, we all know the French have a different sense of humor than us, Jerry Lewis and all that :) Anyway Derek, this intelligent design is the new name for creationism. They just gave it the kind of name that can entrap someone like me who believes in God, yet also thinks Darwin was right if you don't look into what they are saying so closely. Anyway, I have birds, and while they do play with me and respond to things I say and do, I know full well that a lot of their actions are purely instinct. I'll never know what they really think or feel, but I sure am not going to anthropomorphise their every day actions cause they're not people, they're birds.

Bobby
09-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Yes, it is a great movie. And OTM is right Morgan Freeman makes it that much better.

On evolution and the intelligent design idea. I don't wanna get into that. I think the apes are close cousins though.

schweitz
09-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Yes, it is a great movie. And OTM is right Morgan Freeman makes it that much better.

On evolution and the intelligent design idea. I don't wanna get into that. I think the apes are close cousins though.

Morgan Freeman makes any movie better.

GameTheory
09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Morgan Freeman makes any movie better.Amen to that.

Since when is "love of the family unit" or thinking/feeling evidence of intelligent design? After all, the debate centers around humans, and no one disagrees that we do those things. Heck, we CAN have semi-intelligent conversations with apes and chimps that have been taught sign language -- seems to me that would be more evidence of evolution than anything...

Tom
09-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah, Morgan is my favorite actor - he is really good in any part he plays.
I look forward to his "dark side" roels in serial killer movies.
He just makes the characters believable.

Bobby
09-14-2005, 09:15 AM
He just makes the characters believable.

I think his best movie was Shawshank. & That's one of my favorites.

OTM Al
09-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Its strange but I never really got into Shawshank all that much. It's a good film and does have some memorable lines, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me. I would have to say that Driving Ms Daisy would be the best film Mr Freeman's done, just ahead of Glory.

Tom
09-14-2005, 08:49 PM
I liked 7 and Kiss the Girls.

GameTheory
09-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Unforgiven

JustRalph
09-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Give me a Break! Driving Miss Daisy! The man was brilliant! http://fujishobo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/movie/driving.miss.daisy2.jpg

Al got it right...............

Overlay
09-14-2005, 11:40 PM
His Oscar for "Million-Dollar Baby" was surely long overdue (although I'm saying that on the basis of his entire career, since I haven't seen that particular movie).

By the way, anyone on the board remember him as Easy Reader, or disk jockey Mellow Mel Mounds (?) ("Out of sighteous!") and other characters (along with Rita Moreno and others) on "The Electric Company" (the graduate school for "Sesame Street") on PBS in the late '60's and early '70's? I wish episodes of that show were available on video somewhere. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Had to be the most sophisticated kids' show (humorwise) ever made.

highnote
09-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Unforgiven

Agreed. Got to see it in a theatre on a pretty big screen. It left me speechless. I'm not a big fan of Hollywood movies, but Unforgiven is great.

The thing that really struck me was that the morality was grey and not black and white. You don't see that alot in American movies. I noticed that you see it frequently in British movies that were made not long after WWII.

lsbets
09-14-2005, 11:58 PM
The guy has one of the coolest voices ever. As far as favorite movie, I vote for Glory - awesome movie.

Suff
09-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Agreed. Got to see it in a theatre on a pretty big screen. It left me speechless. I'm not a big fan of Hollywood movies, but Unforgiven is great.

The thing that really struck me was that the morality was grey and not black and white. You don't see that alot in American movies. I noticed that you see it frequently in British movies that were made not long after WWII.

Will Money.

Yes I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you little bill.

kingfin66
09-15-2005, 02:11 AM
I liked Morgan Freeman as God in the comedy Bruce Almighty. Okay, not really, but he was awesome in all the other movies listed and was okay in Bruce Almight too.

OTM Al
09-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Forgot about Unforgiven. That absolutely belongs among the best movies he's ever been in, though I wouldn't really consider him a lead in that one. Seven I thought could have been one of the great horror/suspense movies of all time, but the end really ruined it for me. I felt in context of what was going on in the film with the nameless faceless killer that was going against all rules of the standard Hollywood law of conservation of characters to have such a Hollywood type shock ending was pointless, but no knock on Mr. Freeman, he didn't write it. Again, he showed his great talent in Kiss the Girls, but he saved what would otherwise be standard serial killer schlock

Tom
09-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Coincidence....7 was on last night.

I love a movie that gives you a good nightmare!
Did not disappoint.:eek:

toetoe
09-16-2005, 01:37 PM
March Of The Penguins, starring Burgess Meredith?

Tom
09-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Holy Tuxedo, Batman! Was HE in that moive too?

OTM Al
09-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Uh....no.....he's dead.....

Rocky:Hey yo, Mick, what do I got to chase a chicken for?
Mickey: First, because I said so. And second, is because chicken-chasing is how we used to train back in the old days. If you can catch this thing, you can catch greased lighting.

46zilzal
09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Morgan Freeman is in a new one with Robert Redford I saw at a sneak preview last night. Interesting role twist for Redford.

toetoe
09-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Okay. I'm not betting my house on it, but that sounds like it would lose to Ishtar and Mooseport in a three-film race. Roger Ebert's kissing of JLo's gorgeous ass notwithstanding, it has all the makings of a DNF.

highnote
09-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Okay. I'm not betting my house on it, but that sounds like it would lose to Ishtar and Mooseport in a three-film race. Roger Ebert's kissing of JLo's gorgeous ass notwithstanding, it has all the makings of a DNF.

toetoe,

You are probably correct.

BTW, I think PA should make it a requirement that all posts have to have a reference to horse racing.

js

falconridge
09-16-2005, 09:22 PM

With all due respect to friend 46zilzal, who staked a strong claim to movie maven status in the "Racing Across the Silver Screen" thread, I'm inclined to string along with toetoe on this one. Then again, this just-escaped (as opposed to "released"; it was remanded to the custody of the Miramax vaultkeeper at least two years ago) Lasse Hallstrom project might offer a murmur of protest--for a furlong or so--in a showdown with Steven Seagal's Hard to Kill (for which somebody should have signed a "Do Not Resuscitate" waiver).

Anent toe's gluteal reference: whenever I hear "backside," I'm a lot more likely to think of JLo than of hay bales and hot walkers.

(Will that do for a horse racing tie-in?)

toetoe
09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I should be more forgiving of the recent release, as I myself am recently released. Mwa-ha-ha, MWAHAAHAA!

As to JLo, two words --- kidney sweat.

Will the serial bride tie the knot again, sexual preference of the prospective bridegroom notwithstanding? YES! JLO ... has ... DONE it!

JustRalph
09-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I saw "Million Dollar Baby today" Morgan was as good as ever, ........some kind of tough flick..........

Tom
09-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Moosepart....that came on TV while I was in bed with the flu. Couldn't sit up without getting dizzy. Of all times for the battery in my remote to go dead!
:eek: :eek: :eek: I couldn't change the channel, couldn't turn down the volulme!

Thank GOD I don't own a gun!

OTM Al
09-17-2005, 09:25 AM
You ever get in that situation again, just roll the batteries around a little or switch them. You can usually get just a couple more minutes out of them that way, but in your example that would have been well worth it.

Tom
09-17-2005, 10:36 AM
MR. Cheap-o here has been rolling the batteries for 6 months! :bang:

falconridge
09-17-2005, 05:52 PM
As to JLo, two words --- kidney sweat.
Coming Soon!!!

The Farrelly Brothers' Production of ...

"There's Something About Ophelia"
(Adapted from the play by William Shakespeare)

*Starring ...

Jennifer Lopez as Ophelia
With Pauly Shore as Hamlet, Wilford Brimley as Polonius
The late Ruth Gordon as Queen Gertrude, and Bob Gunton as Claudius

Act III, Sc. ii

Hamlet (suggestively, with a devilish leer and comic emphasis on the sixth word): Did you think I meant country matters? [pause for peals of riotous laughter]
Ophelia (vacuously): I think nothing, my lord.
Hamlet (mugging for the audience, with that inimitable impish grin): That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs. [pause for 10 minutes, as paroxysm of hilarity fill the theater]

Exeunt, bowing and blowing kisses.

*in inverse order of talent

toetoe
09-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Fingers snaps of applause to you, a la Maynard G. Krebs. But who's Bob Gunton?

46zilzal
09-17-2005, 07:20 PM

Twice nominated for the Tony most notable for playing Juan Peron in the original EVITA, and played the warden in The Shawshank Redemption and a good friend of mine, that's who

falconridge
09-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Gunton has appeared in many films, almost always as a paragon of bottomless depravity, which would make him an obvious choice to play a baddie like Claudius. Probably Gunton's best known role was the evil warden in Shawshank Redemption, but the performance of his that I admire most was as C. E. Lively, the duplicitous agent provocateur in John Sayles's Matewan (1987), one of the least known of great films (which makes it also one of the greatest of little-known films). Matewan also marked the screen debut of Chris Cooper, who, talented though he is, wasn't anything at all like Silent Tom Smith, the character Cooper played in the overpraised Seabiscuit.

By the way, 46zilzal, who will probably beat me to the post in answering your query (and who does know a lot about movies), grew up with Gunton.