PDA

View Full Version : Chief Justice Rehnquist's Drug Habit

highnote
09-11-2005, 01:47 PM
http://slate.msn.com/id/2125906/

This article raises some interesting questions?

Should Supremem Court judges stop serving at age 75?

Is there are double standard that will "excuse extreme drug use by the powerful, especially if their connection is a prescribing doctor, and condemns to draconian prison terms the guy who purchases his drugs on the street."?

Other interesting points:

"The 1986 medical report on Rehnquist described him as seriously "dependent" on Placidyl from 1977 to 1981. He often consumed three month's worth of the drug in one month before requesting more from Dr. Freeman H. Cary, the attending physician to Congress, who prescribed it. Anonymous sources told the Post that Cary first prescribed Placidyl to Rehnquist in 1971 to help him sleep through his severe back pains, but "Cary reportedly told the FBI that Rehnquist had taken it before."

"The standard dose [of Placidyl] for adults is 500 milligrams, taken at bedtime. Rehnquist initially took 200 milligrams daily but by 1981 was taking 1,500 milligrams a day. Increasing dosage indicates drug dependency, the Johns Hopkins professor explained"

"When Rehnquist's drug problem became an issue during the 1986 confirmation hearings, Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, R-Utah, defended Rehnquist in a Post story, saying he got into trouble with Placidyl because he was "a very compliant patient" who "followed the advice" of his doctors. Ah, yes, one of the most brilliant jurists of his time was the victim of his rotten doctors for almost a decade!"

"One fascinating aspect of Rehnquist's drug habit is that nobody has ever demonstrated that his performance ever flagged during his decade-long binge.

And finally, the summary paragraph by the author:

"But am I unfair to link the reluctance of journalists to zoom in for a close-up on a dead person's warts to a general deference to authority or, in the case of Rehnquist, a class bias that predisposes them to look past his drug habit as purely a medical problem? I think not. This was a watershed event in Rehnquist's life. Did the experience—being dazed on drugs, humiliated in the press, getting off Placidyl—contribute to his jurisprudence? How could it not have? Supreme Court correspondents, start your word processors."

Interesting stuff for Supreme Court history buffs.

Tom
09-11-2005, 04:06 PM
10 year limit, rotating.

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2005, 03:10 AM
The system works. I say, leave it as it is....any tinkering is likely to screw it up even more...

JustRalph
09-12-2005, 05:44 AM
The system works. I say, leave it as it is....any tinkering is likely to screw it up even more...

ditto:cool:

Suff
09-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Rehnquist owned two homes, One was in Phoenix the other escapes me right now. However both sales contracts included convenants that he could not resell his property to a Jew or a Black. He signed on the dotted line.

GameTheory
09-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Rehnquist owned two homes, One was in Phoenix the other escapes me right now. However both sales contracts included convenants that he could not resell his property to a Jew or a Black. He signed on the dotted line.What is the evidence of that? You are telling me there is a legal contract with that in it? Can you produce said documents?

Tor Ekman
09-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Rehnquist owned two homes, One was in Phoenix the other escapes me right now. However both sales contracts included convenants that he could not resell his property to a Jew or a Black. He signed on the dotted line.
Such restrictive covenants are void on their face for being unconstitutional - many are still turned up in the chain of title in archaic deed instruments recorded years ago. All such restrictive covenants are ignored when reviewing title. I highly doubt such provisions were in the sales contracts signed by Rehnquist, although they may have appeared in the chain of title.

Suff
09-12-2005, 01:24 PM
What is the evidence of that? You are telling me there is a legal contract with that in it? Can you produce said documents?

I can get that but it may take me a day. Here's quip with more specific info

>As for Rehnquist, he had some lovely restrictions on property he owned. The
>deed to a summer home he purchased in Vermont in 1974 contained a covenant
>that prohibited the sale or rental of the property to "any member of the
>Hebrew race." And the deed to his home in Phoenix, Ariz., in the 1960's
>barred the sale or rental to "any person not of the white or Caucasian
>race."
>
>David Savage, in his book "Turning Right: The Making of the Rehnquist
>Supreme Court," notes that Rehnquist, at his confirmation hearings in 1986,
>told the Senate Judiciary Committee he hadn't examined his deeds and knew
>nothing of the covenants

I'm not indicting Rehnquist here. Ruth Bader Ginsburg grew up in a Neighborhood with the same restrictions. Also, so did our current nominee Judge Roberts. In the 1960's and early 70's his parents subdivision had the same language.

My only point here is that we need to be aware that what we are trying accomplish in America was not accomplished by the Union Victory in the revolutionary war. As recently as the 1970's this pervasive Nazism was prevalent in America. I suggest it still boils beneath the Surface.

We must be aware of this. Black people, and liberals say some very bizarre things. Dante West saying "George bush doesnt care about black people" is a perfect example. When Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton say some of the things they say... I want to run for the hills. I'm ashamed to share the same political philosophy with them. However when I reflect on their views coupled with information like this... I'm able to stomach them. If I was a Black Guy and I heard the new Chief Justice grew up in a subdivision that barred Black people...... I may be a little over the top myself.

My Point is that we can't fool ourselves that all forces in America are for the Good. The Good for all. To me that is what America is all about.

America believes that all men are created equal. We believe that wading through that filthy water in New Orleans is the next Albert Einstein, The next John Adams, The next Niel Armstrong... It is our responsibility to insure that he/she gets the opportunity to be just that.

fwiw. I thought Bush showed a lack of Class by Nominating Roberts for Chief Justice before Rehnquist was even in the ground. By my math.....show a little respect and get the guy buried before you put someone in his warm seat.

GameTheory
09-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm not indicting Rehnquist here. Ruth Bader Ginsburg grew up in a Neighborhood with the same restrictions. Also, so did our current nominee Judge Roberts. In the 1960's and early 70's his parents subdivision had the same language.

My only point here is that we need to be aware that what we are trying accomplish in America was not accomplished by the Union Victory in the revolutionary war. As recently as the 1970's this pervasive Nazism was prevalent in America. I suggest it still boils beneath the Surface.Are you sure you weren't indicting him? "He signed on the dotted line" sure sounded like it. If we aren't going to hold against those who Wolf Blitzer calls "so poor and so black" the neighborhood where they grew up, then we shouldn't hold it against the "so rich and so white" either...

Tor Ekman
09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
I repeat:Such restrictive covenants are void on their face for being unconstitutional - many are still turned up in the chain of title in archaic deed instruments recorded years ago. All such restrictive covenants are ignored when reviewing title. I highly doubt such provisions were in the sales contracts signed by Rehnquist, although they may have appeared in the chain of title.

Suff
09-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I repeat:

not required because I read your first post. However what is your point?

Of course the language is antiquated and a function of legal expediency leaves then hanging on.

But assume for a minute I am black.

I ask you... should your answer make me feel better? Further... Should it suffice?

Who should decide if does? White Protestants who originated them?

My Point about Signing on the dotted line was that "it exists".
People want to put on Blinkers.... Condi Rice is there, Thomas is here...... Problem solved.

I'm saying it is not. I see a rebirth. I'm not alone. Watch the hearings if you have a minute. The entire undertone is on these points.

Tor Ekman
09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
not required because I read your first post. However what is your point?

Of course the language is antiquated and a function of legal expediency leaves then hanging on.

But assume for a minute I am black.

I ask you... should your answer make me feel better? Further... Should it suffice?

Who should decide if does? White Protestants who originated them?

People want to put on Blinkers.... Condi Rice is there, Thomas is here...... Problem solved.

I'm saying it is not. I see a rebirth. I'm not alone. Watch the hearings if you have a minute. The entire undertone is on these points.

The point is that for all you know there is such a similar covenant in some deed in the chain of title for the lot that your house sits on, or that mine sits on. You wouldn't necessarily know unless you searched the title all the way back to its inception. No one controls what other property owners before them recorded in the chain of title. Would that make you or I a racist for buying a house that 120 years ago some jerk sought to restrict from falling into what he considered the wrong hands? You first stated the restrictive language was in the contract that Rehnquist signed, then your follow up indicated that the covenant was in some deed in the title - there is a world of difference. If the former, then I'd agree he was culpable, if the latter, then he falls into a large segment of property owners who just so happen to be successors in a long chain of title that contain an antiquated restrictive covenant in some archaic deed from long, long ago. That's the point.

GameTheory
09-12-2005, 03:25 PM

I'm saying it is not. I see a rebirth. I'm not alone. Watch the hearings if you have a minute. The entire undertone is on these points.Don't you realize how damaging it is for black people to *constantly* hear:

"Don't forget, the whites are out to get you."

"There is racism around every corner, even if you don't experience it yourself -- it's COVERT, HIDDEN."

Do you know that when asked about the amount of racism they think black people are subjected to, whites answer with a MUCH higher number than blacks themselves do? White liberals seem to *LOVE* the idea that racism is a huge problem in this country today, and you often hear quotes about how nothing has "really" changed. What a great insult to people like MLK! I guess everything he did was in vain -- nothing has changed! The Democrats and their ilk keep selling this idea because they think it gets them votes (which it probably does), "You black people, you NEED us, because the white people on the right are trying to keep you down -- they don't care about blacks."

ENOUGH ALREADY!

chickenhead
09-12-2005, 03:45 PM
To throw in my own potentially racist two bits, I have always considered that race plays less of a part in any current racism than does culture. "Urban" culture, regardless of the color of the indoctrinated, is just a HUGE disadvantage in pretty much any meaningful field. It values the wrong things, more or less intentionally, and that is not a recipe for success.

Real or imagined, it seems to me that African immigrants fare far better than do African American descendants, due in large part to their very different mindset.

Africans have no particular lingering feelings of being "sub-par", at least those I have met. They were viewed as sub-par by some of the "ruling" whites, and were sometimes treated as being sub-par, but culturally they were very different than our own American blacks. I don't believe they ever bought into the racism themselves, whereas here I am not so sure. And that is a very difficult legacy to overcome apparently.

schweitz
09-12-2005, 04:52 PM
fwiw. I thought Bush showed a lack of Class by Nominating Roberts for Chief Justice before Rehnquist was even in the ground. By my math.....show a little respect and get the guy buried before you put someone in his warm seat.

But after he is in the ground its ok to attack him about supposed deed restrictions? :rolleyes:

Tor Ekman
09-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Don't you know - only conservatives can be "mean spirited"

Tom
09-12-2005, 07:09 PM
I heard that some curent members of the court actuyally support clearly racist practives to this very day.

Affirmative action.

Never been so clearly a racist, exclsionary practice.

People can actually be denied a job becasue of their skin color.

Suff is right...some of the pure evil crap still is just under the surface, still affecting innocent people in this country.

Disgusting, isn't it? :bang:

Suff
09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
But after he is in the ground its ok to attack him about supposed deed restrictions? :rolleyes:

They are not "supposed". And yes, I think it is relavant information that should be dessimenated. After his legacy was celebrated by the funeral proceedings its a good time to talk about who we appointed , and what thier background consisted of. Mainly because his successor is undergoing review.

I'm not attacking him anyway. I pointed out that Ruth Gader Ginsburg has the same legacy.

It's simliar to NINA. No Irish need Apply. Its old , its antiquated and non-existant but it is a sore spot. Todays reality is different. However that doesn't change the effects of seeing it or hearing it. If I were about to sign an employment contract that contained a NINA clause... I'd balk. If the employer tried to minimize it by saying "oh thats old" and "it does'nt apply because it is illegal on its face"..... I still would'nt sign it. In fact, I may burn the whole godamn building down.

Suff
09-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Don't you realize how damaging it is for black people to *constantly* hear:

"Don't forget, the whites are out to get you."

"There is racism around every corner, even if you don't experience it yourself -- it's COVERT, HIDDEN."

Do you know that when asked about the amount of racism they think black people are subjected to, whites answer with a MUCH higher number than blacks themselves do? White liberals seem to *LOVE* the idea that racism is a huge problem in this country today, and you often hear quotes about how nothing has "really" changed. What a great insult to people like MLK! I guess everything he did was in vain -- nothing has changed! The Democrats and their ilk keep selling this idea because they think it gets them votes (which it probably does), "You black people, you NEED us, because the white people on the right are trying to keep you down -- they don't care about blacks."

ENOUGH ALREADY!

My own experience would tell me that whites answer higher because they talk to white people when blacks are not around.

Democrats would love to disengage from the race issue. I think a lot people vote Republican because they view the Democrats as the party of the blacks. (and the gays, and the Jews, and the atheist's...and so on). If the Dem's would let go of one of these groups they'd probably sweep back into power. These groups are liabilities to votes. You analogy that Liberals decry racism for votes just doesnt pass the smell test.

The facts defy your point that "all is well". Incarceration rates, infant mortality rates, poverty rates, health care....and on and on. Just about any Quality of life statistic you can name shows minorities lagging behind whites.

But my point included anti-semitic language as well. However you've cornered me on this Black vs White argument. But my issue is more Powerful vs non-powerful. I see a huge consolidation of wealth and power in America. That's where I am going. I share your views frequently. For Christ sakes I wish the flipping blacks would shut up. Go to work, pay your bills and do the best to enjoy yourself. That's all America promises and it is there for you so STFU. I understand. But I'm not talking about street racism. I'm talking in a broader scope about power.

Most of what happened in NO's I can process as part of a natural disaster. What I am having real trouble with is Dead Bodies lying on the street for 4 and 5 days. (longer even). You can rest assured that if that was Warren Buffet or Donald Trump lying under that sheet, they would have dropped paratroopers in to pick him up. But because it was some poor, food stamp welfare type then he laid there rotting for a week. No amount of political philosophy will change my mind that dead bodies lying on the streets of America for a week is an OK thing. That tells you much about where America is with wealth and power. Johnnie Cochran said it.

The Color of Justice in America is Green

Even if your analysis was correct, or partly correct, your solution is wrong. Your really insulting blacks when you say the reason they are in the condition they are in is because whites (liberals) told them things and they believed it. You insinuate that blacks cannot properly address their own issues. That Liberals told them the who what and where and they followed along like blind mice.

Referencing the point of African Immigrants fairing better than African-Americans. Typically African immigrants are the elite of their community. No one living on a bowl of rice a week in the Sudan is emigrating to America. More often they are sons and daughters of successful African who come here with a different set of resources than a traditional African. Not all, but most. Therefore it skews the data.

A new reality has descended upon America. Some of it needed. When I lived in Miami I saw a lot of things that disturbed me. I noticed that the most important person in many people lives was the mailman. Because he brought the checks and Food stamps. One time I was watching this Black guy hold court in front of a bunch of other brothers. His speech was this.

Cracker buys my mofo food, cracker pays my mofo rent, cracker buys my mofo drugs..... cracker pays alllllllll my mofo bills. The crowd laughed and high fived. So I know. I know what people are saying.

kingfin66
09-13-2005, 02:48 PM
A good friend of mine grew up in northern Virginia and dates Rehnquist's daughter when he was in high school. He went to the Chief's house often, and has some "interesting" stories to tell of those experiences. Chief Justice Rehnquist was quite a colorful guy, very into watching Monday Night Football, an avid Washington Redskins fan, and was prone to uttering some very un-PC comments when in the privacy of his own home.

GameTheory
09-13-2005, 03:10 PM
My own experience would tell me that whites answer higher because they talk to white people when blacks are not around.I'm white. I talk to white people. I can count the outright racist comments (stuff they definitely wouldn't say in front of a black person)
I've heard in my adult life on one hand (against blacks -- I hear racist comments about whites all the time).

Democrats would love to disengage from the race issue. I think a lot people vote Republican because they view the Democrats as the party of the blacks. (and the gays, and the Jews, and the atheist's...and so on). If the Dem's would let go of one of these groups they'd probably sweep back into power. These groups are liabilities to votes. You analogy that Liberals decry racism for votes just doesnt pass the smell test.That's absurd. There isn't a more monolithic voting block in this country than the black voter's support of the Democrats. Less blacks vote than whites, but the ones that do vote OVERWHELMINGLY for the Democrats. It has only slipped slightly in the last couple of elections. Still, you won't find a higher percentage of one group supporting one party anywhere. The Democrats are terrified of losing the black vote. You may be right that this is actually holding them back, but again that assumes there is this huge white racist voting block that won't vote Democrat because they are "for the blacks". I do not believe there is any such huge white racist voting block.

The facts defy your point that "all is well". Incarceration rates, infant mortality rates, poverty rates, health care....and on and on. Just about any Quality of life statistic you can name shows minorities lagging behind whites.Which I would cite as examples of the damage of teaching them for a generation that it is pointless to try to better yourself since Whitey will keep you down. All of these problems exploded AFTER the civil rights movement. When the society was overtly segregated, the black family unit was quite strong. It is important to note here that as a group, blacks in America are doing better than ever and are one of the fastest-growing most upwardly mobile group there is. The black middle class is exploding, and is the reason you are seeing that slight increase in support of Republicans. It is the inner city urban black community that is such a shambles.

But my issue is more Powerful vs non-powerful. I see a huge consolidation of wealth and power in America. That's where I am going.No argument there.

Tom
09-13-2005, 06:58 PM
So what is the bottom line - there is a huge conspracy to keep black people down?

Get a life.

We don't care about the poor?

Explanain the 7+TRILLION dollars spent on welfare since the 60's.

Discrimination?

Explain affirmative action to me.

People who believe thay area failures will turn out to be failures.
Dipsticks like Jesses Jackson and Al Sharpton have done far more to destroy black peoples lives that the Klan ever did.

Suff
09-13-2005, 07:39 PM
So what is the bottom line - there is a huge conspracy to keep black (all) people down?

I put the word all in your sentence. Let me put it in perspective for you.

The 500 wealthiest people in the world had the same income as the poorest 416 million.

That's right Tom... 500 people made the same amount of money as 416 million.

You bet your ass they're conspiring. If not directly, through the lawyers and minions.

highnote
09-13-2005, 07:43 PM

The 500 wealthiest people in the world had the same income as the poorest 416 million.

You bet your ass they're conspiring. If not directly, through the lawyers and minions.

Even Oprah? :D

highnote
09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Even Oprah? :D

I seem to be laughing at everything today. Hope no one takes offense. Maybe this new anti-depressant drug is working too well! :D

Did you notice I even quoted myself :lol:

Tom
09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Quick....send me some!

Tom
09-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Oh please. I'm not in that 500.
Did that 500 send word to NO to keep them black folks on the other side of the bridge?

highnote
09-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Quick....send me some!

I think it was actually lack of sleep, long hours at work and lots of strong black coffee.

I recommend the coffee. I do not recommend the lack of sleep and long hours at work. However, if you want to sub for me so I can sleep in and have a few days off just sitting around sipping coffee and replying to posts on PaceAdvantage, I'll take you up on it!

Tom
09-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Now YOU should be a stand up comic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

boxcar
09-14-2005, 12:37 AM

Err...so what is your solution to all this superconcentrated wealth? Should the government seize their assets and redistribute them to all the poooor black folks in this country?

Boxcar

Secretariat
09-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Do you know that when asked about the amount of racism they think black people are subjected to, whites answer with a MUCH higher number than blacks themselves do? White liberals seem to *LOVE* the idea that racism is a huge problem in this country today, and you often hear quotes about how nothing has "really" changed.

I'm not sure where you're obtaining that info. According to the latest Pew Research poll, the opposite seems to be occuring.

"Some 71 percent of blacks say the disaster shows that racial inequality remains a major problem in America, according to a survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted Sept. 6-7 among 1,000 Americans; 56 percent of whites feel this was not a particularly important lesson.

And while 66 percent of blacks think the government's response would have been faster if most of the victims had been white, 77 percent of whites disagreed."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/08/AR2005090801544.html

In other words you have a 70% racial divide between perceptions on racisim with blacks asserting by a 71% margin that racial inequality remains a major problem in America, whereas whites by a 77% margin disagree.

Whether you beleive there is racism or not, this poll points out the perception among blacks is that there "is" a major problem. I think whites don't beleive they are "racist". No one considers themselves a racist, and we do not perceive of us "hating" anyone simply due to skin color, or that we should bear the blame because our forefathers may have engaged in slavery. The perception I think emerges due to economic realities - and Colin Powell hinted at this in his recent interview. The black community has not emerged to share in a disproportionate share of American prosperity. The percentage of blacks in poverty compared to the percentage of whites in poverty related to total black population and total white population is staggering in numbers. Now, how does one rationalize that?

Lack of effort, lack of resources, it takes time for a balance to occur and will in the future, a liberal welfare system that creates dependency for the poor or would the elimination of that only increase poverty and crime more so. Regardless of your perspective, to assume racism is not a huge issue for blacks is to walk blindfold over a cliff.

Blacks see racism as "indifference" to their plight. Kanye West did not say George Bush hates black people as some report, he in fact said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people." An important difference. Whites see racism as a "hate" relationship (like the Klan). Blacks are seeing "racism" more and more as one of "indifference", one where they lose out on opportunity because leaders don't seem to really care about poverty or their struggles with it. It's a survival of the fittest attitude. Strange the Repubs would turn to a Darwinian concept for the economy, but reject evolution, but that's a different thread.

Racism and economics merge in the African American mindset. And really ask yourself, if there were 10000 white American teen age girls or young women holding up white babies in that Superdome or at the Convention Center starving, would the federal response have been a bit quicker? African Americans know the answer to that question.

Tor Ekman
09-14-2005, 11:36 AM
And really ask yourself, if there were 10000 white American teen age girls or young women holding up white babies in that Superdome or at the Convention Center starving, would the federal response have been a bit quicker? African Americans know the answer to that question.
BTW, where were all the fathers of those poor children in distress?????
But why should fathers take care of their children when they can have their Uncle Sam foot the bill?

Bobby
09-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I think Ethiopia sent some condoms in a relief shipment. I did read that somewhere. Might not be Ethiopia but one of those other countries in the African continent.

B/C your right a lotta women with babies on TV. No men around them either.

Tor Ekman
09-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Three simple rules to vastly improve the chances in life for both parent and child:

Don't have a baby (1) while still a teenager (2) out of wedlock (3) before graduating from high school.

Secretariat
09-14-2005, 02:05 PM
BTW, where were all the fathers of those poor children in distress?????
But why should fathers take care of their children when they can have their Uncle Sam foot the bill?

Nothing like answering the question,

chickenhead
09-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Blacks see racism as "indifference" to their plight

Noone seems to care particularly about my plight, should I assume that is racism? We, us, the gov't, the people, have given billions upon billions, no strings attached, to this countries poor. Indifference?

I brought up Africa earlier, because I have spent some time there. You want to see some plight? You want to see what indifference looks like? But they are ten times better equipped to deal with things, mentally, emotionally, intellectually, then the average indigenous cycle of poverty person here in America, black or white.

Bring the average African over here and drop him off in the Inner City somehwere. He'll have three jobs and be going to school nights inside of a month. Opportunities abound in this country, and the amount of "care" given to this countries poor would astound them. This country is so f'ing wealthy it is unbelievable.

That doesn't go towards solving the problem though, and unfortunately I don't have any solutions. Just my own observations.

GameTheory
09-14-2005, 02:50 PM
I remember Dennis Prager saying that one time he had some vistors from India or Africa (can't remember which) and they asked to see where the poor people lived. This was in NYC, and he took them to the most poverty-stricken neighborhoods he could find. His visitors didn't believe they were really the poor because they all had cars and lived in apartments...

lsbets
09-14-2005, 03:06 PM
GT, that reminds me of what I said to my wife last week - only in America can poor people be fat. I don't say that to demean poor people in America at all, but in most of the world, poor folks have no food, they're starving. You don't see too many fat people in 3rd world countries. I've been to my fair share, the fat guys are the ones with the bucks.

Now, with that being said, we do have poverty in America relative to how most of our country lives. And that poverty needs to be addressed and we as a society have an obligation to find ways to help those less fortunate than us. But, when compared to poverty throughout the world, 99% of the folks in our country are living really well.

chickenhead
09-14-2005, 03:23 PM
This is a bit off-topic, but if anyone on this board ever gets the chance to go to Africa, I highly recommend it. I know that as a tourist destination it doesn't rank very high on the list, but go anyway. I spent a month there for work when I was around 21 yr. old, and I am still learning from the experience. It is so unlike this world we inhabit here in the United States it is hard to describe. When I flew back into SFO, it shook me hard...looking down over such a perfect, wealthy, organized, safe environment.

I spent time with some guys that lived in the shanty town, outside of the capitol of Cameroon. The more prosperous built their homes out of cement blocks, the poorer out of whatever they could find. Even the prosperous could not afford to buy the cement blocks..they made them themselves, with homemade forms, onsite. Day after day after day, making cement blocks after work. The community had dug a well, there was no running water to any of these places. There was some spotty electricity available, though most had only light bulbs to run, or a radio.

One guy, Victor, wanted me to meet his family..his wife had died a year or two earlier, and he had 6 beautiful kids. He invited me in and we sat inside on the porch, and he sent his daughter out to go buy two Cokes. It was such a wonderful gesture, for him to buy me a Coke. He was so proud of the home he had built, and his family, and the little prosperity he had that allowed him to buy me a drink. This man, and many others like him were poorer than the poorest here, but he had a tremendous dignity and grace, he had well raised children, and an absolute sense of hospitality. I learned a lot from him and the others I met there.

highnote
09-14-2005, 03:38 PM
This is a bit off-topic, but if anyone on this board ever gets the chance to go to Africa, I highly recommend it. .................................................. ................. This man, and many others like him were poorer than the poorest here, but he had a tremendous dignity and grace, he had well raised children, and an absolute sense of hospitality. I learned a lot from him and the others I met there.

Great story. Thanks.

I think most of us on this board would do the same if we were in that man's shoes. We have so much in this country I think we sometimes forget to be gracious.