PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Quinellas Beatable?

Nickle
09-10-2005, 08:14 PM
I know offshore books do not offer house Q's as odds are against them.

Why is there big value in betting Quinellas

john spencer
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
hey nickle . it so much as odds are against them but it is harder to lay off given that the Q/s provide a good means of hedging any win bets. if the hedge bet is placed before the win price bet then the bookie may be left to hang out to dry with no means of adjusting his book .with the paramutauls though it does not matter as the operator is guranteed a profit simply by the way teh dividends are calculated . with a book maker offerring fixed odds it is different though . there is no gurantee. hope this helps

John

pic6vic
09-11-2005, 10:19 AM
The reason they do not offer Q's is the way they calcukate the payoffs

The win price times the place price, divide by $2.

When there are 2 big fav's the Q will pay less than either horse to win. The house Q then would be an overlay from 20 to 100 percent. If you think otherwise go back in history a few years to the 80's. Easy Goer and Ferdinand. In the breeders cup it was a 10 horse race and certain places in Vegas would not take any action on the Q for this reason.

Also the reason Southern Cal tracks have Q's is that Vegas wanted them so they did not have to offer house Q's. I know from personal experience.

toetoe
09-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Hi Vic. You mean Easy Goer and Sunday Silence. I know you and your buddy had them in all three TC jewels.

pic6vic
09-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Chris

Yes I meant Sunday Silence

JackS
09-14-2005, 03:45 AM
Many tracks offer the Quinella and Exacta. The $1 exacta box should work as a Quinella and should pay the same price as the $2 Q. If you can keep up with the tote, the best choice can be either.

andicap
09-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Probably doesn't need to be said but some newbies might be confused:

The House Quinella offered by books are not the same as quinellas offered at the racetrack in terms of how they are paid out.

Lefty
09-14-2005, 11:48 AM
andicap, right. The House Q is pd to a mathematical formula as noted above, but the track Q is a pool like all other pools at the trk. In a Trk q with a heavy fav coming 2nd the q can actually pay less than the win bet on the winner. I prefer the $! ex to the trk Q cause gettting the longshot on top means more money usually.

midnight
09-14-2005, 12:58 PM
As Vic said, the big crush for the house is when there are two distinct favorites, such as a 6-5 and a 7-5 shot. The track quinella might only be paying $5.20. If the winner paid $4.80 and the place horse paid $2.80 to place, the house Q would pay 4.8 x 2.8 / 2 or $6.72. That's a huge difference at that level. If you put back the 20% takeout, the track Q would be paying $6.50. Overall, the house Q was never much of a moneymaker for the books, because the big bettors would hammer the exploitable races. Most books stopped offering the house Q or set small limits on it when Nevada went to commingling the track pools.

chickenhead
09-14-2005, 01:34 PM
the track quinella is an outdated bet that serves no purpose whatsoever and should be killed. I would rather have all that "box" money in the ex pool.

Nickle
09-14-2005, 07:12 PM
I think I should be more clear here

House Q's seem to be beatable vs. track Q's

Good Posts Guys

Geekyguy
09-16-2005, 06:21 AM
I know offshore books do not offer house Q's as odds are against them.

Why is there big value in betting Quinellas

The House Q died about 15 years ago due to a race at Garden State where some folks on track dumped $5,000 to place on a longshot with no chance, and mopped up in Nevada to the tune of about a quarter-mil.

Lefty
09-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Not dead in Vegas. Some books still offer them where there's no trk Q. However you no longer can get dn any real big money on them, if you ever could. Back in the old days I saw places turn down $20 bets on big favs. Real gamblers, huh?