PDA

View Full Version : Time to Legalize sports betting

Vegas711
09-10-2005, 01:26 AM
I was listening to a sports radio show lastnight , the host brought up a good point that it is time for the federal government to legalize sports betting. He stated that billions of dollars are being wagered off shore on sports bets. The amount of money being bet is almost doubling every few years. The host suggested that Las vegas could be a central hub where legally we would go thru to place our bets. :)

mainardi
09-10-2005, 01:55 AM
It'll be approved on the same bill where they legalize marijuana :cool: !!!!!

Not that I would know anything about that... :liar:

Seriously, though, there are too many "gotta keep my cushy political career intact" folks in DC that won't get anywhere near this one. There have been political attempts to control the Internet in general, so maybe some generic bill that first shuts the offshore sites down is the necessary starter for legalized national gambling.

One can always hope... :bang:

kingfin66
09-10-2005, 03:46 AM
But why should it be legalized only if Vegas is the hub. That's the only place it is legal now. It would be great if sports betting were legal to do on the internet, but your proposal only serves Las Vegas and their sports books. My guess is that offshore sites would be very, very competitive if this ever came to be, offering things that Vegas doesn't. For example, offshore books offer Sign-up bonuses, Re-up bonuses and Referral bonuses. Vegas will give you comps if you are there and earn enough points. It is still unknown what, if anything, they would give their online players.