PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans - two news quotes

highnote
09-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Ebbert said the search for the dead will be done systematically, block-by-block, with dignity and with no news media allowed to follow along. "You can imagine sitting in Houston and watching somebody removed from your parents' property. We don't think that's proper," he said.

I don't understand why embedded reporters couldn't tag along, but agree not to broadcast the removal of bodies. Everyday we see broadcasts on local news of car crashes, crime scenes and storm damage. If journalists are prevented from covering this story then how do we know the job is getting done properly? How do we know that the very people we are relying on to do the search and rescue are carrying out their duties properly? How do we know the search and rescue teams are not doing the looters jobs? I hate to be cynical, but I know human nature. There will be some rescuers who will walk into a house and see a jewelry box and be tempted to steal the contents. And who is going to stop them? I hope I'm wrong.

Police fearing deadly confrontations with jittery residents enforced a new order that bars homeowners from owning guns. That order apparently does not apply to the hundreds of M-16-toting private security guards hired to protect businesses and wealthy property owners.

So much for the right to bear arms to protect yourself from a hostile government. It seems to me that people who want to stay behind should be allowed to -- even if it's not safe for them -- unless in the judgement of the authorities they are not of sound mind and body.

However, if you've got a large enough estate, it sounds like you are exempt. It seems like the guy in a McMansion is allowed to save his property, but the guy in the bungalow is not.

So are the police and military going to forcibly remove someone who is protected by M-16-toting security guards. It would be a challenge for the authorities to have to deal with this type of situation. If the people won't leave their house and the M-16-toting security guards are loyal, what would the authorities do? Would they get into a gun battle? Hopefully, this circumstance will never come to pass. Lot's of tough jobs to be done and decisions to be made.

Pace Cap'n
09-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Where could one find these news items?

highnote
09-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Where could one find these news items?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hurricane_katrina;_ylt=Ag1eJ_IZ5lJGPJU.roU5EpkbLis B;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Tom
09-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Amazing! HOME owners cannot protect their property but BUSINESS owners can? This just wrong.
If they evacuate citizens, then business people should have no right to be there either.
This is discrimination, and it is Un- American.

And it is probably normal, too.:ThmbDown: