PDA

View Full Version : FEMA Chief Replaced

Light
09-09-2005, 04:49 PM
This guy (MB) is an absolute idiot. Didn't even acknowledge the situation when asked about it on Television interviews when it was happening. He was about the only person in the country who didn't realize what was going on.A total embarrassment to the Bush Administration.Hope they get rid of his sidekick,in Homeland. Another goofball.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050909/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_brown_22;_ylt=AscvOBOa8DVVEqDsPrVwzgwbLisB ;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Secretariat
09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I read that he is simply being "recalled" to Washington by Cheroff, but Brown is still FEMA Head. Maybe "Brownie "wasn't doing a "heckuva job" as Bush originally stated. What a joke.

falconridge
09-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Coast Guard Vice Admiral Thad W. Allen has, according to the story at the link Light supplied, been named to replace FEMA Director Michael Brown as overseer of on-site operations following the Hurricane Katrina disaster. It occurs to me that I hadn't heard of any federal appointee named "Thaddeus" since ... (I'll bet Overlay would know this one) ... Agent 86 Maxwell Smart coaxed that bit of apologia out of the Chief of Control (played by the late Ed Platt) on Mel Brooks and Buck Henry's old "Get Smart" TV series. Platt's character had thitherto been known only as "Chief." Of course, the reluctant disclosure elicited from Smart one of his signature lines: "Sorry about that, Chief."

Whaaat? You were expecting something serious? Best I can do: let's hope Vice Adm. Allen and all in his command do gangbusters; no joke.

Full of hope,

falconridge

Tor Ekman
09-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Missed it by that much!

Steve 'StatMan'
09-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I read that he is simply being "recalled" to Washington by Cheroff, but Brown is still FEMA Head. Maybe "Brownie "wasn't doing a "heckuva job" as Bush originally stated. What a joke.

Sec, do you really think that moment was the time for Bush to say in front of the cameras "Brownie, you suck!"? "Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job - everythings gone to heck!"?

He's the President for crying out loud. That wasn't the time nor the place for a public reprimand. Gotta keep people going through tough times, even if they aren't the greatest. Think any boss means everything single compliement they ever say, then you're either a golden employee or you've never had a performance review with the average boss trying to hold the line on salary increases.

lsbets
09-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Sec knows that Steve, but he doesn't care. I bet he's rooting for a high body count. :mad:

Tom
09-09-2005, 09:31 PM
There he goes again. Sec is as consistent as they come. Sick as they come, too. Small mind, no heart, and an overall joke.

What do you think, Sec, we will all line up behind Brown because he is a conservative?
If he lied on his resume as he is accussed of, of course he should be fired immediatley - and prosecuted, too, if poosible. I heard a total of 5 of the 8 top guys at FEMA also falsified references? If true, dittos to them.

Then, you go back to the guy who checked the references and fire him, too.

If this were a lib issue, the guy would be made chairman of the DNC!

Secretariat
09-09-2005, 10:44 PM
The man is still the head of FEMA. He has simply been sent back to Washington. GW still has not verbally stated that he was not doing a heckuva job. It's been a lot of time since his initial congratulatory remarks.

According to Walter Maestri at Jeffeson Parish, FEMA failed them. They didn't fulfill their job. In fact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was there BEFORE FEMA. A heckuva job indeed.

You don't like me being the messenger but Brown did not do a "heckuva job".

FMA was MIA

lsbets
09-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Sec, since you are in such a blame casting mood, I wonder why you don't seem troubled at all that the state of LA wouldn't allow the Red Cross to deliver food and water to the folks in NO the day after the hurricane. Doesn't that decision trouble you?

I would also think you'd be troubled that the police set up a roadblock on the bridge out of town and would not allow people to walk out of NO, because the neighboring parrish dodn't want those folks in their towns. Doesn't that trouble you?

Oh, that's right, you only care if you think it can make Bush look bad.

46zilzal
09-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Didn't eveyone have the evidence of a computer generated scenario called Hurricane Pam so that ALL agencies could have anticipated just exactly what to do?
http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=13051

lsbets
09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Yes 46, that's why Tom, JR, myself and many other say everyone screwed up. Some people only want to blame the federal government and refuse to recognize that the local and state guys f-d up big time.

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2005, 11:18 PM
In fact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was there BEFORE FEMA. A heckuva job indeed.

Hey, I got one to trump you buddy. Red Cross was there BEFORE the ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE, and they were TURNED AWAY by the Louisiana STATE department of Homeland Security!!!! STATE.....STATE......STATE.....

Whatcha think about that?

lsbets
09-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey, I got one to trump you buddy. Red Cross was there BEFORE the ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE, and they were TURNED AWAY by the Louisiana STATE department of Homeland Security!!!! STATE.....STATE......STATE.....

Whatcha think about that?

And who coordinates getting the Red Cross on site? Who's mission is it to do that, since they don't actually have anyone working for them who does anything other than coordinate? I'll give you a hint - there are rumblings that the Red Cross and Salvation Army are furious at the accusations that the federal government did not get there to help because both of those organizations see it as an attack on them because they are brought in by FEMA and were on site and ready to go the next day, but were not allowed to provide assistance by the people who controlled the law enforcement and evacuation aspects of relief.

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Actually, Sec and LJB can't function without LINKS...anyone got a link to the Red Cross turned away story?

lsbets
09-09-2005, 11:29 PM
I think Tom posted one, its on the Red Cross website somewhere.

Tom
09-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Here is a link to some of this.....

http://www.redcross.org/faq/0,1096,0_682_4524,00.html

Stay tuned to FOX News - they are working with the RC today to put together the complete story, including timelines, of their attempts to bring aid to victims and how and who refused to allow them in.

Not only Fair and Balance, but sounds like you can add accurate and REAL NEWS people to the list. While the rest of the media follow thier anti-Bush agendas, FOX is out there investigating and reporting FACTS.

Secretariat
09-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Let me understand this. First, they lied about Blanco not activating the National Guard, and yet from from Tom's link:

"Access to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders. "

Point One:

First, which is it? Did Blanco activate the LA National Guard OR not? Make up your minds. If they stopped the Red Cross, then I guess they were activated right?

Point Two:

Second, if the Red Cross made that decision, they apparently did so on thier own. They are not bound by the Stafford Act to follow that kind of directive. First from Larry King

"Joining us now in Washington is Marty Evans, the President and CEO of the American Red Cross. She traveled with the president today. The Red Cross is not in New Orleans, why?

MARTY EVANS, RED CROSS PRESIDENT AND CEO: Well, Larry, when the storm
came our goal was prior to landfall to support the evacuation. It was
unsafe to be in the city. We were asked by the city not to be there and the Superdome was made a shelter of last resorts and, quite frankly in retrospect, it was a good idea because otherwise those people would have had no shelter at all.

We have our shelters north of the city. We're prepared as soon as they can be evacuated, we're prepared to receive them in Texas, in other states, but it was not safe to be in the city and it's not been safe to go back into the city. They were also concerned that if we located, relocated back into the city people wouldn't leave and they've got to leave."

Frankly, a BS answer by the Red Cross, but the CEO agrees with the call whoever made it - FEMA head, Nagin, Blanco, - we do know Bush didn't make cause he was strumming his guitar during this.

Now, the Stafford Act:

Check out the Stafford Act, FEMA's guiding legislation on disasters which specifically places the Red Cross outside the limits of a mandated Federal response:

In order to effectuate the purposes of this Act, the Federal coordinating officer, within the affected area, shall--

1. make an initial appraisal of the types of relief most urgently needed;
2. establish such field offices as he deems necessary and as are authorized by the President;
3. coordinate the administration of relief, including activities of the State and local governments, the American National Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the Mennonite Disaster Service, and other relief or disaster assistance organizations, which agree to operate under his advice or direction, except that nothing contained in this Act shall limit or in any way affect the responsibilities of the American National Red Cross under the Act of January 5, 1905, as amended (33 Stat. 599) [36 U.S.C. §§ 1 et seq.]; and;
4. take such other action, consistent with authority delegated to him by the President, and consistent with the provisions of this Act, as he may deem necessary to assist local citizens and public officials in promptly obtaining assistance to which they are entitled.

Clear enough?

lsbets
09-10-2005, 05:48 AM
So I guess you're making it clear Sec that it doesn't bother you that the Red Cross was not allowed to give those folks food and water. You would defend anything a Dem does, wouldn't you?

Secretariat
09-10-2005, 09:48 AM
So I guess you're making it clear Sec that it doesn't bother you that the Red Cross was not allowed to give those folks food and water. You would defend anything a Dem does, wouldn't you?

Isbets,

Sometimes you’re quite logical, and other times all over the place. I never said it didn't bother me that the Red Cross didn't get food and water to those people, quite the contrary. I'm appalled by it. You simply want to blame Blanco or Nagin for it. You asked and I answered:

“And who coordinates getting the Red Cross on site? Who's mission is it to do that, since they don't actually have anyone working for them who does anything other than coordinate?”

I try to answer by posting the Stafford Act, FEMA's guiding legislation on disasters.

In order to effectuate the purposes of this Act, the Federal coordinating officer, within the affected area, shall--
2. establish such field offices as he deems necessary and as are authorized by the President;
3. coordinate the administration of relief, including activities of the State and local governments, the American National Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the Mennonite Disaster Service, and other relief or disaster assistance organizations, which agree to operate under his advice or direction

You may not like the Stafford Act, but I didn't write it.

Tom
09-10-2005, 10:30 AM
There he goes again!

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Did anyone say the National Guard stopped the red cross? I didn't say that. Is this true? People from the La. STATE dept of Homeland Security stopped them...that's what I read....

Secretariat
09-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Did anyone say the National Guard stopped the red cross? I didn't say that. Is this true? People from the La. STATE dept of Homeland Security stopped them...that's what I read....

From the Red Cross link Tom posted:

"Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders. "

The second post on Tom's link says the LA Homeland Security, but Blanco denies that. However, the CEO of the Red Cross thinks it was the right decision.

THe Stafford Act puts the responsbility to coordinate the effort of the Red Cross strictly on FEMA.

"coordinate the administration of relief, including activities of the State and local governments, the American National Red Cross"

Anybody still really think we don't need a Commission?

ljb
09-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Sec,
Careful now, you are laying an awful lot of truth on these rightys and you know what happens when they get bit in the arse with the truth? They start with their name calling, lowballing your rating etc. Keep it up and you'll have two redboxes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2005, 03:36 PM
From the Red Cross link Tom posted:

"Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guardand local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders. "

You didn't just gloss over the local authorities part, did you?

Tom
09-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Oooooooo!

Sec is quoting ME now?:eek:

I am flattered! I must be a voice of authority! :jump: :jump: :jump:

ljb
09-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Inspite of the fact that your "babe" sez you're a coward, you the man Tom.

Tom
09-10-2005, 05:23 PM
That's ok, Stinky......feel free to use ME as a source as well! :jump:

Secretariat
09-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Sec,
Careful now, you are laying an awful lot of truth on these rightys and you know what happens when they get bit in the arse with the truth? They start with their name calling, lowballing your rating etc. Keep it up and you'll have two redboxes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would prefer a blue box, but I'm color blind anyway ljb. It is something when they resort to the name calling. I always figure that's when they're sure of themselves....not.

Secretariat
09-10-2005, 08:36 PM
You didn't just gloss over the local authorities part, did you?

Pa, this si what you wrote:

Did anyone say the National Guard stopped the red cross? I didn't say that. Is this true?

I simply quoted the RedCross page. I'm not making this up. Go to Tom's link to the Red Cross and read it yourself. Choose to beleive what you want. Maybe the Red Cross is lying.

Tom
09-11-2005, 12:20 AM
There he goes again!

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2005, 03:29 AM
I simply quoted the RedCross page. I'm not making this up. Go to Tom's link to the Red Cross and read it yourself. Choose to beleive what you want. Maybe the Red Cross is lying.

You quoted the red cross page? No, you HIGHLIGHTED in an editorial style the parts you found more truthful than others....the following is a QUOTE of the Red Cross site:

Access to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders.

The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city.

You will notice they say that access to New Orleans is CONTROLLED by the NG AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES. They do not state exactly WHO prevented them from coming in....however, I believe the second section above tells the whole story:

THE STATE Homeland Security Department had requested -- and continues to request -- that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane.

There it is, in black and white. Clear cut first hand account of who stopped them from going in and aiding the hungry and thirsty in the Superdome right after Katrina left town. End of debate.....NEXT!

Secretariat
09-11-2005, 05:42 AM
PA,

Who "stopped" them? The NG stopped them. Who kept them from going in? THe NG kept them from going in. Who "requested" it? The LA Homeland Security. ALL from the Red Cross site. Now, first of all, the CEO of the Red Cross defends the decision. If you look at my post, I never did. I'll repost it below. I know its late and hard to read.

But please review the Stafford Act again. (1) It is not the role of the LA Homeland Security to tell Red Cross anything, it is FEMA as outlined in the Stafford Act, AND, it is not binding on the Red Cross. Please read below what I posted previously. btw...Point One I made was ignored.

Let me understand this. First, they lied about Blanco not activating the National Guard, and yet from from Tom's link:

"Access to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders. "

Point One:

First, which is it? Did Blanco activate the LA National Guard OR not? Make up your minds. If they stopped the Red Cross, then I guess they were activated right?

Point Two:

Second, if the Red Cross made that decision, they apparently did so on thier own. They are not bound by the Stafford Act to follow that kind of directive. First from Larry King

"Joining us now in Washington is Marty Evans, the President and CEO of the American Red Cross. She traveled with the president today. The Red Cross is not in New Orleans, why?

MARTY EVANS, RED CROSS PRESIDENT AND CEO: Well, Larry, when the storm
came our goal was prior to landfall to support the evacuation. It was
unsafe to be in the city. We were asked by the city not to be there and the Superdome was made a shelter of last resorts and, quite frankly in retrospect, it was a good idea because otherwise those people would have had no shelter at all.

We have our shelters north of the city. We're prepared as soon as they can be evacuated, we're prepared to receive them in Texas, in other states, but it was not safe to be in the city and it's not been safe to go back into the city. They were also concerned that if we located, relocated back into the city people wouldn't leave and they've got to leave."

Frankly, a BS answer by the Red Cross, but the CEO agrees with the call whoever made it - FEMA head, Nagin, Blanco, - we do know Bush didn't make cause he was strumming his guitar during this.

Now, the Stafford Act:

Check out the Stafford Act, FEMA's guiding legislation on disasters which specifically places the Red Cross outside the limits of a mandated Federal response:

3. coordinate the administration of relief, including activities of the State and local governments, the American National Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the Mennonite Disaster Service, and other relief or disaster assistance organizations, which agree to operate under his advice or direction, except that nothing contained in this Act shall limit or in any way affect the responsibilities of the American National Red Cross under the Act of January 5, 1905, as amended (33 Stat. 599) [36 U.S.C. §§ 1 et seq.]; and;
4. take such other action, consistent with authority delegated to him by the President, and consistent with the provisions of this Act, as he may deem necessary to assist local citizens and public officials in promptly obtaining assistance to which they are entitled.

Clear enough?

lsbets
09-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm sorry Sec, I fail to see where it says the state of LA doesn't control law enforcement activities in their state. It is indisputable FACT that the state of LA Homeland Sec dept did not allow the Red Cross to bring relief supplies into NO. Whether you think it was the right decision or not, does not change that simple fact. The Red Cross was not allowed by the state of LA to bring the supplies in. You have shown nothing to the contrary.

Tom
09-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Truth, to Sec is like a Chinnese menu...one from Column A, one from Column B....put together something that fits your agenda. And all the forutnes read: Bush is Bad.

ljb
09-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Truth, to Sec is like a Chinnese menu...one from Column A, one from Column B....put together something that fits your agenda. And all the forutnes read: Bush is Bad.
You got part of it right ! ;)

Tom
09-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Oh, alright Stinky.

YOU can pick from Column C as well!

schweitz
09-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry Sec, I fail to see where it says the state of LA doesn't control law enforcement activities in their state. It is indisputable FACT that the state of LA Homeland Sec dept did not allow the Red Cross to bring relief supplies into NO. Whether you think it was the right decision or not, does not change that simple fact. The Red Cross was not allowed by the state of LA to bring the supplies in. You have shown nothing to the contrary.

Not only is this what happened but guess which office controls the La Homeland and issued the order? Yep, the Governor's.

Secretariat
09-11-2005, 03:19 PM

I guess we read the Red Cross site totally differently. Again, from the Red Cross site. You choose to ignore the post below from the site, AND the CEO of the Red Cross's quote instead preferring to focus on the second paragraph of the Red Cross site that states the LA Homeland Security requested they not enter the city. You also choose to ignore the Stafford Act which places FEMA as the direct coordiantor of the Red Cross in times of natural disaster. It doesn't surprise me, your focus is to place blame on Blanco, not really to attempt to get answers. When I agreed with the President that answers need to be found, and a Commission may be needed, the response from many of the right here was: Not another commission, We already know what happened. Typical shut down the truth stuff. I want Blanco questioned, I want Brown questioned, Chertoff, Nagin, Bush..the whole bunch. And I want it independent from legislative processes like the 911 Commission. Frankly that was stacked with Repubs but I accepted it. Hopefully, you'll embrace a similar inquiry into this disaster.

schweitz
09-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Sec, are you saying that fema had control of the national guard?

lsbets
09-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Sec - the NG is conrolled by the State.

Why are you trying so hard to distract from the simple fact that the State of LA did not allow the Red Cross to bring in supplies?

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2005, 03:16 AM
Cause it don't fit with "the plan"

boxcar
09-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Sec - the NG is conrolled by the State.

Why are you trying so hard to distract from the simple fact that the State of LA did not allow the Red Cross to bring in supplies?

Because Gov Tweedelee Dumb is a) a liberal DemRat and b) because she's in an "oppressed, minority group", i.e. a woman. To a Liberal, both of these induspatable facts preclude any possibilities for screw-ups by her. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Suff
09-12-2005, 02:55 PM
This guy (MB) is an absolute idiot. Didn't even acknowledge the situation when asked about it on Television interviews when it was happening. He was about the only person in the country who didn't realize what was going on.A total embarrassment to the Bush Administration.Hope they get rid of his sidekick,in Homeland. Another goofball.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050909/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_brown_22;_ylt=AscvOBOa8DVVEqDsPrVwzgwbLisB ;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Brown Resigns. 1/2 hour ago.

lsbets
09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I thought he's ride it out for a month or two and do it quietly claiming he wanted to spend more time with his family. That seems to be DC code for "I got fired, but no one wants to embarass me."