PDA

View Full Version : A few computer processor questions

trying2win
09-08-2005, 01:46 AM
I have a PENTIUM II processor in my computer.

1. In your opinion, is the PENTIUM II processor archaic, or quite adequate by current standards?

2. Would anyone recommend updating to a faster processor, or would that be mainly wasting money?

2. Are more and more computer games and programs, requiring PENTIUM III processors or better to operate them these days?

3. What's the top-of-the-line PENTIUM processor now?

4. If a person wanted to upgrade to a faster PENTIUM processor, is that an expensive proposition?

Thanks,

T2W

NoDayJob
09-08-2005, 02:43 AM

1. In your opinion, is the PENTIUM II processor archaic, or quite adequate by current standards?

2. Would anyone recommend updating to a faster processor, or would that be mainly wasting money?

2. Are more and more computer games and programs, requiring PENTIUM III processors or better to operate them these days?

4. If a person wanted to upgrade to a faster PENTIUM processor, is that an expensive proposition?

Thanks,

T2W

P-2's are pretty old. You might want to look at the Asus AMD 64-934 socket motherboard, rather than the P-4. 64 bit technology is the new standard. If you want to build your own computer without all the hassle, check with CPUSolutions.com on the net. They've built 3 AMD's for me and they're FAST! My program takes 40 seconds to process a race with a P-2. Make that 4.5 seconds or less with an AMD 3000 processor, which is not the top of the line. With all the bells and whistles it's about $1.1k delivered with tech support and WinXP-Pro-SP2. The AMD is great for games.

NDJ

Dave Schwartz
09-08-2005, 03:56 AM
NDJ is absolutely right on with this.

We have no plans to ever purchase anything but AMD-64s in the future. I have 2, a desktop and a laptop and they are just killer-fast, especially in comparison to Intels.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

headhawg
09-08-2005, 01:09 PM

Thanks,

T2W
1. Totally inadeduate by today's standards.

2. Given that you have a P2, you would need to upgrade the processor, the motherboard, memory, and video (unless integrated into the MB). Basically, you need (want) a new computer.

3. Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, unless you count the dual core processors. Until apps/games are programmed to use dual core it is of little use.

4. How good does your computer have to be? As NDJ wrote you can get a very decent computer for about $1,000. But if you need to be blazing fast then you're looking at least three times that amount. At least! Hell, you could get an SLI board and run dual video cards. The cards themselves would cost you $1200!!

My advice? Pick a price point and get the fastest processor (pref. AMD 64), the most RAM (as well as the fastest for the MB/CPU), and the features you want (19" LCD, RAID controllers, etc) that fit that point. Good luck.

NoDayJob
09-08-2005, 01:25 PM
3. Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, unless you count the dual core processors. Until apps/games are programmed to use dual core it is of little use.

Actually, with dual core, today's games will slow down.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

trying2win
09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
NDJ, DAVE, HEADHAWG,

Thanks for your advice. It's amazing when advances in computer technology, can make your older computer seem out-of-date after a short while.

T2W

NoDayJob
09-08-2005, 04:40 PM
NDJ, DAVE, HEADHAWG,

Thanks for your advice. It's amazing when advances in computer technology, can make your older computer seem out-of-date after a short while.

T2W

Because of fast technological advancements in computers, it's best to figure you're going to replace your computer every 18/24 months, so it doesn't pay to buy anything that you're not going to use immediately. :lol: Remember Zip-Drives? I sold over 500 zip disks for $2.00 each. That represents about 20% of the original cost. They were state of the art until CD and DVD burners came along for storage. :lol:

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

CapperLou
09-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey Guys:

I'm going nuts trying to find the right laptop--must have wireless, easy to read screen and want that AMD 64 with a lot of memory.

What brand and/or models would you suggest??? Thanks. I have an older Dell now which I want to replace. The screen is not easy to read--my eyes are not getting better--sensitive to bright lights--comes with age etc.

CapperLou

P.S. Looking to spend 800-1500!!

NoDayJob
09-08-2005, 09:24 PM
They can help you.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

CapperLou
09-08-2005, 09:32 PM
They can help you.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

Thanks--nice site--going to take hard look at it and see if I can make it happen!!

CapperLou

BillW
09-09-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm spec'ing a system here also. I've always used ASUS M/B's (successfully!). I'm making the switch to an Athlon 64 this time(it's been awhile since I've built a system :)). Does anyone have any compelling reason to look at another M/B mfgr.? How about the VIA chipset? and negatives? How does memory behave with the A64? should I be careful as to vendor?

Thanks,

Bill

NoDayJob
09-10-2005, 01:39 AM
"Does anyone have any compelling reason to look at another M/B mfgr.? How about the VIA chipset? and negatives? How does memory behave with the A64? should I be careful as to vendor?"

I'd stick with the Asus MB. I have 3 A8V Deluxe MB's and they perform flawlessly. No memory problems, but I'd get at least 1GB of RAM. I'm using GamePro PC 3700, 466Mhz DDR RAM. CPU Solutions is my provider. However, I have used Tiger Direct. You might want to check internet comments on the various Asus MB's. It depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. My confusers are mid range proformance.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

BillW
09-10-2005, 02:01 AM
"Does anyone have any compelling reason to look at another M/B mfgr.? How about the VIA chipset? and negatives? How does memory behave with the A64? should I be careful as to vendor?"

I'd stick with the Asus MB. I have 3 A8V Deluxe MB's and they perform flawlessly. No memory problems, but I'd get at least 1GB of RAM. I'm using GamePro PC 3700, 466Mhz DDR RAM. CPU Solutions is my provider. However, I have used Tiger Direct. You might want to check internet comments on the various Asus MB's. It depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. My confusers are mid range proformance.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]
I'll be going with a 3500+ and 2GB RAM with SCSI drives for a combo DB server/workstation. I'm working on the i'net forums now - very tedious :) Just posted here incase anyone had any obvious problems as I have been a bit out of the loop in the hardware world lately (last system I spec'ed was a 600mHz Pentuim :D) Nothing worse than having a problem and someone saying "you should have asked me ... !".

Bill