PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

schweitz
09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
If New Orleans is going to be rebuilt, and just about everybody is on record as saying it is, shouldn't a levee system first be designed to withstand a worst case scenario and construction started asap?

Why is it if you want to build a home near a river but are considered to be in the "100 year flood plain" ( which means it is projected to flood your property once every 100 years ) you can't get financing or insurance---but if you want to build on the coast where hurricanes are far more frequent it's no problem?

ljb
09-07-2005, 07:24 PM
If New Orleans is going to be rebuilt, and just about everybody is on record as saying it is, shouldn't a levee system first be designed to withstand a worst case scenario and construction started asap?

Why is it if you want to build a home near a river but are considered to be in the "100 year flood plain" ( which means it is projected to flood your property once every 100 years ) you can't get financing or insurance---but if you want to build on the coast where hurricanes are far more frequent it's no problem?
First, if they are going to re-build NO, it should be done about 50 miles uphill.
Second, I would guess the fix is in on the hurricane prone beach front homes etc. For some reason these folks can get flood insurance which is subisidized by fema. My and your taxes ?

Tor Ekman
09-07-2005, 07:59 PM
If the "new" New Orleans is going to look anything like the "new" Times Square in NYC (aka the Midtown Mall of America), then I say let the old New Orleans rest in peace and just rebuild the Port of New Orleans.